AMD Bristol Ridge, ZEN?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Well I can't compete there chief. I am a paper engineer that went to DeVry for it but never worked in the field. I suppose I have just been snapping parts together for 20 years then.

Seriously, I am so sorry. I did not mean it like that at all. Genuinely. Your input is super welcome, and my nerdism blinds me from commonality most of the time. I just dislike how much bad info is floating around, and people go with it. My blame resides with the kid know-it-all builders with an internet connection, not you. You can build me a system anytime bro.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No really man, I am not offended. You spoke the truth. I have never had a hand in actually creating hardware or software as an engineer. I am just a system builder and you don't need any degree for that. I may be able to be creative with builds but that is the only thing that would set me apart from the kids slapping parts together.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
No really man, I am not offended. You spoke the truth. I have never had a hand in actually creating hardware or software as an engineer. I am just a system builder and you don't need any degree for that. I may be able to be creative with builds but that is the only thing that would set me apart from the kids slapping parts together.

Trust me, there is a difference between someone building for 20 years and 5. Even if it's just snap together parts. Things experienced users and builders learn and know that wont come up on any google search. Newbs get their info from sponsored tech blogs and vlogs, then parrot it out. If you allow me to judge your input in the field, you have given better input than that here. In fact, it's quite refreshing. Anyone can watch their favorite youtube blogger and repeat consumer information.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Guys, I put my RAM in backwards and turned my machine one..... should be ok right?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Guys, I put my RAM in backwards and turned my machine one..... should be ok right?

No problem. Now you have negative 16gigs. Windows will just use 24gb of swap space on your hard drive.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No problem. Now you have negative 16gigs. Windows will just use 24gb of swap space on your hard drive.

FTR as a 13 year old I did jam a stick of RAM into my old HP machine backwards and fried it lol

The machine was oddly just fine.... just the RAM was fried.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
FTR as a 13 year old I did jam a stick of RAM into my old HP machine backwards and fried it lol

The machine was oddly just fine.... just the RAM was fried.

Whoops.

Yeah, I still hope the DDR5 standardized layout is reversable(and forces ECC industrywide). It's rare with the DDR3+ offset, but I still hear about people managing to flip the sticks.

Also, RAM has the best warranty of all components. Did you just return it? Parents threw you into the pigeon pit?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Whoops.

Yeah, I still hope the DDR5 standardized layout is reversable(and forces ECC industrywide). It's rare with the DDR3+ offset, but I still hear about people managing to flip the sticks.

Also, RAM has the best warranty of all components. Did you just return it? Parents threw you into the pigeon pit?

Oh I was too embarassed to admit I had done it.... I waited a few months and went to Best Buy while my mom and sister were next door in Target and bought another stick and put it in correctly lol

This PC had 800MHZ single core CPU.... I think I was adding like 256MB stick of RAM to the 512 already in there.... BALLLIN'

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL, was it by any chance the old AMD Thunderbird processor that came in cartridge form? That was one of the most wtf generations of processors ever made. One of the very first computers I built had an 800MHz AMD processor of that kind in it.

tbird320.jpg

Back in the day when AMD was whooping Intel's ass in IPC and Intel's only response was MOAR MEGAHURTZZZZZZZZ!

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Slot 1/2(Intel) and Slot A(AMD) was a great concept for scalability. The issue was it added too much initial cost(such as too many added parts led to a low yield), and really was best suited for server applications where you could hot-swap a CPU on a SMP board. Given enough time, it would have been the better solution to use a slot over socket. Windows didn't support hot-swapable CPUs, and DEC Alpha(Slot B) was being dismantled, so Intel had nobody to steal architectural ideas from. Like a game of follow the leader(tech-wise, not valuation-wise) and the leader vaporizes before your eyes.

2006526142458782.jpg

Alpha slot from the mid-90s housing the fastest CPUs on earth at the time.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LOL, was it by any chance the old AMD Thunderbird processor that came in cartridge form? That was one of the most wtf generations of processors ever made. One of the very first computers I built had an 800MHz AMD processor of that kind in it.

tbird320.jpg

Back in the day when AMD was whooping Intel's ass in IPC and Intel's only response was MOAR MEGAHURTZZZZZZZZ!

Nah it was an Intel CPU....

I have never had a non-Intel CPU nor a non-Nvidia GPU..... I have no explicit hate for AMD.... I just never built with their hardware.

I always bought Intel and Nvidia and they worked out fine for me, so I stuck with their products.... especially with Intel edging out AMD when the multi-core CPUs became king.

AussieBear

Slot 1/2(Intel) and Slot A(AMD) was a great concept for scalability. The issue was it added too much initial cost(such as too many added parts led to a low yield), and really was best suited for server applications where you could hot-swap a CPU on a SMP board. Given enough time, it would have been the better solution to use a slot over socket. Windows didn't support hot-swapable CPUs, and DEC Alpha(Slot B) was being dismantled, so Intel had nobody to steal architectural ideas from. Like a game of follow the leader(tech-wise, not valuation-wise) and the leader vaporizes before your eyes.

2006526142458782.jpg

Alpha slot from the mid-90s housing the fastest CPUs on earth at the time.

this is why i ask you nerds for advice...

no need for a phd either xero.. you seem to know some shit too.. i know what i know, which is... i dont know a lot about tech.. what i learn, i forget. what i think is right, is probably wrong and what is right, is probably out of date anyways.. but i am aware of this and will listen to those who do know what they are talking about.. . i may double check their facts if im going to run with some advice though.. but thats across the board in life...

i read reviews on stuff and i dont find them very helpful a lot of times.. hype...corporate lackeys and fanboy service.. eh.. and those goodluck badluck customers. crys i had originally looked as some asrocks but kept seeing bad reviews from peeps here and there..with recommendations for other brands... being you speak tech daily, i value your opinion more than the random reviews i come across and will check them out... thanks

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is what I was talking about when I said Vega would be a ground up new video card from AMD:

http://wccftech.com/amd-vega-10-vega-11-magnum/

"Completely Redesigned V9 GCN Architecture With Significant Advances

The V9 nomenclature refers to AMD’s 9th graphics architecture. Which represents a significant departure from the previous 8th generation GCN architecture of Polaris ,RX 400 series, and AMD’s “Islands” family of R9 200 & HD 7000 graphics cards.

The structure and configuration of SIMD units is entirely new. Each SIMD is now capable of simultaneously processing variable length wavefronts. It also includes clever new coherency features to ensure peak stream processor occupancy in each compute unit at all times and reduce access times to cache and HBM. Memory delta color compression has also been improved. We’ll talk about the new architecture a lot more in-depth in a forthcoming article."

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
This is what I was talking about when I said Vega would be a ground up new video card from AMD:

http://wccftech.com/amd-vega-10-vega-11-magnum/

"Completely Redesigned V9 GCN Architecture With Significant Advances

The V9 nomenclature refers to AMD’s 9th graphics architecture. Which represents a significant departure from the previous 8th generation GCN architecture of Polaris ,RX 400 series, and AMD’s “Islands” family of R9 200 & HD 7000 graphics cards.

The structure and configuration of SIMD units is entirely new. Each SIMD is now capable of simultaneously processing variable length wavefronts. It also includes clever new coherency features to ensure peak stream processor occupancy in each compute unit at all times and reduce access times to cache and HBM. Memory delta color compression has also been improved. We’ll talk about the new architecture a lot more in-depth in a forthcoming article."

Vega 11 might be mainly because of FinFET allowing them to improve the gate design. We wont know until it's released.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, its all speculation until they paper launch anyways and even then its still going to take time before there is a legit die analysis of big daddy Vega and its smaller sibling.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
my knowledge in this area is far behind some of you, but one thing i feel pretty confident in saying is... the fuck with going console over pc. just build a mid budget pc with an i5 and rx 480 and you are far better off then going with a console. unless you just dont want to spend more than 400(or whatever the console costs) bucks period and still want to game, then sure go console, but if your going to build a pc anyway, then the hell with a console. put that money towards the pc.

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
I'm excited to see what Zen can do. Would like to see some solid benchmarks come out before I pull the trigger on it though. My phenom IIx4 980 is still more than adequate for my gaming needs. No hurry though.

Microscum mentioned Zen will only be supported on the Win10 platform. Not really in a hurry to move to that either. Thoughts?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Microsoft is being extremely petty about how they are pushing people towards using Windows 10.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
You'll use Windows 10 and like it. Don't question Microsoft or Apple! They know what is best for you.