Impressions from the first round of preseason games

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Other than last night's game, which was like the Toledo Walleyes against the Grand Rapids Griffins, we've got a good look at a lot of different Hawks prospects so far this preseason. Some thoughts:

- Tyler Motte has probably already earned a roster spot. Q called him "special" after Saturday's game, which is about the highest compliment I've ever heard Q give a young guy. He scored a pair of goals against St. Louis which was nice, but I think the thing that Q loves about him is Motte's defensive game. Looked to me like he was always in the right spot in terms of in-zone D coverage. That's the quickest way into Q's mustache/heart.

- Vinnie Hinostroza looks real fast, which is something he probably has to be given his small stature. Displayed some decent hands and skating ability with the puck in the action I saw for him. You know what I'd love to see? Vinnie and Motte on the 4th line to forecheck the living hell out of opponents. They'd be real, real annoying to play against and I'm in favor of that.

- Michal Kempny looks like he should at least be a serviceable 5-6 D-man for the upcoming season. I think the long-term plan would be for him to become the player that we were expecting Nick Leddy to be in Chicago for the next decade, and I could see him getting there. I like his vision and his skating ability, and he uses both of them when breaking the puck out instead of just blindly throwing it up the boards like so many other young D-men do.

- Not that I really forgot about them, but Kane and Panarin hooking up for a one-time goal on Saturday night was a solid reminder that the Hawks may have the most lethal wing pairing in the NHL.

- I was hoping for a little more from Nick Schmaltz, but I also wouldn't mind seeing him break camp with the big club. It feels like there's something there, and I think he'd be more likely to put it all together in Chicago than in Rockford.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Panik-Toews-Hossa
Pan-AA drinks you-Smiles
Desjardins-Kruger-(Hinostroza/Motte/Baun)
Schmaltz-Motte (Rasmusin

Rasmusin-Knott-Baun-Hartman-Hinostroza-

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
That'd of been Detroit prospects vs Detroit prospects.. it's the indy fuel these days were nick Mattson and Dillon fournier play.

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
That'd of been Detroit prospects vs Detroit prospects.. it's the indy fuel these days were nick Mattson and Dillon fournier play.

Ahh dammit you're right.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
So you want a flashback style 4th line of Stalgod-dowell-skille... well too bad, you're getting the spruce Moose and Tootoo/Mash in those spots.

Hino and Kero were guys I ancipated to maybe get more time to start this year than others felt but in Keros case I think Motte shining on the pk pushes him down.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
So you want a flashback style 4th line of Stalgod-dowell-skille... well too bad, you're getting the spruce Moose and Tootoo/Mash in those spots.

Hino and Kero were guys I ancipated to maybe get more time to start this year than others felt but in Keros case I think Motte shining on the pk pushes him down.

I'm already sick of Jordan Tootoo and we haven't even started the regular season yet.

Some D-man had the puck behind the net on Friday night and hit him with a perfect pass at the blue line along the boards. Tootoo mishandled the pass and the Blues got a scoring chance out of it. Something tells me this will be a common theme.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tootoo starts a fight with a bigger man on his first shift, gets his glove stuck, tangled up with stick, takes 4 to the face before he even is ready.

Haven't seen anything hockey related I'm happy about yet with him. I don't get why we need him.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yep, getting Tootoo was a waste.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Tootoo doesn't just agitate the other team, he agitates his own!

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I'm already sick of Jordan Tootoo and we haven't even started the regular season yet.

Some D-man had the puck behind the net on Friday night and hit him with a perfect pass at the blue line along the boards. Tootoo mishandled the pass and the Blues got a scoring chance out of it. Something tells me this will be a common theme.

we going to post roster stuff as it happens or just have one thread... maybe just use this thread?

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
we going to post roster stuff as it happens or just have one thread... maybe just use this thread?

That was the intention of the Preseason thread. Just made this one to see what everyone was thinking after the first 3-4 games last week.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As true as that as, I think so far Forsling/Kempny look like 5-6 in terms of raw on-ice ability.

A good problem to have.