Draft strategies

bearsfaninfl

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I know, a little late on this, but it's something I am always curious about.

What kind of approach does everyone take for their draft? How do you evaluate and set your draft board? Any sites that you trust the advice of pre draft?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I just let the draft come to me. I might avoid certain guys, unless they fall to me at the right time.

Sent from my bathroom using toilet talk

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I shoot for one workhorse RB and two stud WR's. Then I use a RBBC for my second back and play match ups/hot hand. I sit on TE usually until the 10th because outside of Gronk, the receptions/yards for TE's in the league are very similar. You really just need a TE who is going to get you some TD's occasionally. I'm not opposed to sitting on a QB. For example, Matt Ryan is tearing up the league and you could have drafted him very late this year. This year, I opted for Rodgers in a lot of my leagues because he was sitting there in the 4th then picked up Matt Ryan. Some solid trade bait to pick up a RB2 or a Flex positions. I always draft a Defense in round 14. It's stupid to pick a Defense any higher then this, imo. There are always some defenses that come out of nowhere and are good that are available on WW. This has been my strategy for the last couple of years and seems to work. Placed 1st, 2nd and 2nd in my 3 leagues last year.

bearsfaninfl

Liked Posts:
I shoot for one workhorse RB and two stud WR's. Then I use a RBBC for my second back and play match ups/hot hand. I sit on TE usually until the 10th because outside of Gronk, the receptions/yards for TE's in the league are very similar. You really just need a TE who is going to get you some TD's occasionally. I'm not opposed to sitting on a QB. For example, Matt Ryan is tearing up the league and you could have drafted him very late this year. This year, I opted for Rodgers in a lot of my leagues because he was sitting there in the 4th then picked up Matt Ryan. Some solid trade bait to pick up a RB2 or a Flex positions. I always draft a Defense in round 14. It's stupid to pick a Defense any higher then this, imo. There are always some defenses that come out of nowhere and are good that are available on WW. This has been my strategy for the last couple of years and seems to work. Placed 1st, 2nd and 2nd in my 3 leagues last year.

Pretty solid strategy. I could see waiting until later for TE and defenses. I think Minnesota went the last pick of the last round in my league, and has been a very good scoring D. Definitely a bunch of solid TE's still left in the 10th+ in my draft as well.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
That's a pretty free-wheeling way to draft!

You don't want to be rigid. I mean, you want to have a general strategy, and I tend to have something along HawkBear's lines, but I'm not tied to that by any means. A lot more has to do with where you are in the draft.

I generally draft a RB/WR for the first 4 rounds depending on where they fall. One thing I like to have is a TE that scores consistently. People ignore the position so much, that it can be a difference maker if you have a good one. That, and nabbing the best defense that hits the waiver wire.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You don't want to be rigid. I mean, you want to have a general strategy, and I tend to have something along HawkBear's lines, but I'm not tied to that by any means. A lot more has to do with where you are in the draft.

I generally draft a RB/WR for the first 4 rounds depending on where they fall. One thing I like to have is a TE that scores consistently. People ignore the position so much, that it can be a difference maker if you have a good one. That, and nabbing the best defense that hits the waiver wire.

My problem with TE is outside of Gronk, all of the TE's numbers are very similar from 2-10 and over the course of 16 games the point differential is not great enough to make me want to draft a TE in the first 4 rounds. Usually where Olsen, Kelce, Jordan Reed go. Gronk costs a 1st usually which is to rich for me. I just look for a TE that is going to get a lot of targets and put up 5/50 stat lines weekly with an occasional TD.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My problem with TE is outside of Gronk, all of the TE's numbers are very similar from 2-10 and over the course of 16 games the point differential is not great enough to make me want to draft a TE in the first 4 rounds. Usually where Olsen, Kelce, Jordan Reed go. Gronk costs a 1st usually which is to rich for me. I just look for a TE that is going to get a lot of targets and put up 5/50 stat lines weekly with an occasional TD.
It seems for me this year the difference between a guy like Delanie Walker and Greg Olsen/Jordan Reed is huge. But my luck this year has been straight trash so I'm probably just seeing the worst possible outcomes.

bearsfaninfl

Liked Posts:

I was mainly curious about the general guidelines people use (rb/wr first 4 rounds, for example). But also a little curious on how/what everyone uses to rank guys pre-draft.

This year I went a little different than I had previously by pooling guys by round based on ADP and consensus ranking averages, then ranked guys within the round. So basically I took the 12 guys with first round ratings, then added my own rankings within them (things like strength of schedule) to slightly change the rankings.

I know lots of people like to use BeerSheets for rankings as well.