Future QB Talk

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
An update on the top Quarterbacks likely in the 2017 draft.

1. DeShone Kizer - 6'4" 230lbs

1775 Yards, 58.1% Completion, 14TDs, 7 Ints

ct-deshone-kizer-notre-dame-pitt-spt-1107-20151106

2. DeShaun Watson - 6'2" - 205lbs

1950 yards, 63.6% Completion, 20 TDs, 8 Ints

maxresdefault.jpg

3. Brad Kaaya - 6'4" -209lbs

1696 yards, 61.7% Completion, 12 TDs, 5 Ints

images

4. Chad Kelly - 6'2" - 215lbs

1849 yards, 62.4% Completion, 14 TDs, 5 Ints

AWVZKMFRDJGCWMD.20120804015708.jpg

5. Mitch Trubisky - 6'3" - 220lbs

2068 yards, 70.5% Completion, 15 TDs, 2 Ints

i

6. Davis Webb - 6'5" - 230lbs

2256 yards, 60.8% Completion, 22 TDs, 7 Ints

d507105a12304fecb59d5da2cd17e5b9.jpg

7. Pat Mahomes - 6'3" - 219 lbs

2579 yards, 71.3% Completion, 21 TDs, 5 Ints

patrick-mahomes-is-the-future-of-the-spread-offense-and-the-future-is-scary-1471321918.jpg

8. Luke Falk - 6'4" - 205lbs

2113 yards, 71.5% Completion, 16 TDs, 5 Ints

11212015-wsu6-1020x1530.jpg

9. Mason Rudolph - 6'5" - 235lbs

2039 yards, 61.9% Completion, 13 TDs, 2 Ints

West+Virginia+v+Oklahoma+State+20jQ0MS1Ye3l.jpg

10. Baker Mayfield - 6'2" - 214lbs

1803 yards, 70.6% Completion, 16 TDs, 5 Ints

baker-action2.jpg

Honorable Mention: Seth Russell (Baylor), Tyler Stewart (Nevada), Taysom Hill (BYU)

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
As of right now I see the draft going down like this.

Browns - Kizer
49ers - Watson
Bears - Garrett or Trade down

Bears can grab a stud in Garrett and either trade back up into the first for their QB or take one in the 2nd round. I think there are some intriguing guys that will be available. Falk, Mahomes and Mayfield are all big QBs and have good pocket presence. Mahomes is the most mobile and has a strong arm. Falk seems to have pin point accuracy and can make NFL throws. Mayfield is athletic and can extend plays, but has a weird throwing motion and seems to abandon the pocket early and roll out. A lot of things can change from now until the draft, but I like out odds of landing a solid QB if we don't pick one in the first round.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
Mahommes will probably stay in school for another year of polish. He was a two sport athlete and this is his first year he's ever dedicated to just playing Football. I think the opposite on Mahommes. He has great physical tools, but really needs to work on fundamental QB play. He gets away with a lot of stuff because of the defense in the Big 12, but all of that free wheeling around followed by a big play downfield won't happen in the NFL. Really needs to work on his footwork and commanding the pocket more. Also throwing with anticipation. He has a rocket and can get away with looking down receivers in college. I wouldn't call Mayfield a big QB either. He's listed as 6'1, the ideal is 6'3. He will probably measure out to 6'0 even

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mason Rudolph is going to scream up the draft boards.

He is having a good year and has all the physical tools. This will be a year where physical tools may be king as all the QBs require more polish. A little like last season.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
OK State has vertical passing NFL concepts and Rudolph has to make progression reads in the middle of the field on occasion. He needs to work on his intermediate accuracy, but there's a lot to like. He throws with anticipation and understands some things fundamental to success. If they're out of position for Garrett, Kizer, and possibly Peppers I would't mind a trade down clown a few spots if a team covets a player. Guys like Rudolph, Trubisky, and Falk could all shoot up with Watson, Kaaya and to an extent Kizer not looking all that brilliant recently.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like a lot about Kizer's game but I must say the sub 60% completion percentage is a legit concern.

NCAA QB's with sub 60% percentage completions usually don't cut it in the NFL.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Falk is a little underrated. I'm not certain about his arm strength, he lacks zip on the ball but damn good completion percentage and he has a lightning quick release. His athleticism is a knock, guy is a classic pocket passer but just check out his release, pretty impressive.

Falk is a hard worker and a humble guy. Strikes me as the kind of guy who will bust his tail and put in all the work necessary to achieve all he is capable of. No diva in his personality. Reminds me of a taller Drew Brees.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Double 40 burgers as I predicted on ESPN right meow.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Mahommes will probably stay in school for another year of polish. He was a two sport athlete and this is his first year he's ever dedicated to just playing Football. I think the opposite on Mahommes. He has great physical tools, but really needs to work on fundamental QB play. He gets away with a lot of stuff because of the defense in the Big 12, but all of that free wheeling around followed by a big play downfield won't happen in the NFL. Really needs to work on his footwork and commanding the pocket more. Also throwing with anticipation. He has a rocket and can get away with looking down receivers in college. I wouldn't call Mayfield a big QB either. He's listed as 6'1, the ideal is 6'3. He will probably measure out to 6'0 even

Appreciate the analysis. I really don't watch a ton of college ball, only what I look up online or what is on at prime time. It'll be interesting to see what happens to all these potential QBs. I expect a few will sneak up to the top just like Wentz did and a few will completely fall off.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Watson is likely the most talented. He's also the most raw.

Kizer has the best intangibles and make up. Lots of arm talent. Big kid. "gets it". Compares athletically to Winston IMO.

Kaaya I need to watch more of but initial impressions is that he's below Kizer but more naturally athletic but just doesn't run much. He's an upgraded Bridgewater/Hundley(who I was REALLY high on) type to me right now.

I watched Watson last night and didn't come away overly impressed(in relation to him being the no duh #1 guy). He's the "worst" passer of the group of these three but has the most upside. He's kind of the Paxton Lynch of this year in the sense he has the highest ceiling and most upside but you have to see it translate. Like, you HAVE to like Watson and his tools but there's this thing where you wonder how it translates to the NFL and if he can throw NFL passes and what not.

Kizer to me is the "safest" pick. He's got some footwork issues to iron out on throws to the sideline. But everything is there.

Kaaya isn't a huge risk either IMO.

I would take any three of them without hesitation but if you're sitting there with all three as options..it's a hell of a debate.

Kizer can not hold or throw the ball in the rain, I would not Draft him @ the top of the Draft. and I drink the ND koolaid.

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
It's still Kizer at the top for me.

Yes, there is some projection involved, but he still has better tools than Watson, Kaaya, etc.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
Appreciate the analysis. I really don't watch a ton of college ball, only what I look up online or what is on at prime time. It'll be interesting to see what happens to all these potential QBs. I expect a few will sneak up to the top just like Wentz did and a few will completely fall off.

Pay attention to Mitch Trubisky from UNC. This guy is turning heads big time. Athlethic, big arm, good form, good & quick decision maker. He has a bit of a corky 3/4th's release, but it comes out quick. What impresses me the most however is his accuracy. Quite frankly it's eerie. Receivers never have to locate the ball, never have to move from the spot, never have to fight off other people to get it. It's weiiiiird. Like a laser dot sight accurate at times.

In non-hurricane games this year he's at 75.2% completions, 9.12 yds/att, 18 Passing TDs, 2 Rushing TD's and 0 INTs. I actually watched the Hurricane tape and even that's wasn't that bad.

CBS mock has him going to us in the Top 5 right now.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2...p-five-pick-on-a-rising-quarterback-prospect/

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
This guy is something else.

75.2% completions, 9.12 yds/att, 18 Passing TDs, 2 Rushing TD's and 0 INTs. Not counting the game he had to play in a Hurricane

Very athletic, strong body, strong arm, quick release(Bit of a 3/4th's action going on, but it works), poise under pressure, knows where he's going with the ball. The thing that impresses me the most however is his accuracy. He's weirdly accurate. Always hits guys in strides and is really good throwing the ball to midget receivers like Switzer and Proehl.

CBS mock has him going to yours truly in the Top 5. Would love this pick. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2...p-five-pick-on-a-rising-quarterback-prospect/

[video=youtube;n1aMcrEDVcw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1aMcrEDVcw[/video]

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Pay attention to Mitch Trubisky from UNC. This guy is turning heads big time. Athlethic, big arm, good form, good & quick decision maker. He has a bit of a corky 3/4th's release, but it comes out quick. What impresses me the most however is his accuracy. Quite frankly it's eerie. Receivers never have to locate the ball, never have to move from the spot, never have to fight off other people to get it. It's weiiiiird. Like a laser dot sight accurate at times.

In non-hurricane games this year he's at 75.2% completions, 9.12 yds/att, 18 Passing TDs, 2 Rushing TD's and 0 INTs.

CBS mock has him going to us in the Top 5 right now.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2...p-five-pick-on-a-rising-quarterback-prospect/
Sorry but if the draft shapes up like that no qb for us. Jets would take Trib and us Garrett.

laputan

Liked Posts:
The elephant in the room is that a percentage of fans, and possibly even Pace, wants a white QB in Chicago. And Trubisky is the great white hope.

Let's hope the Best Player Available philosophy applies to best QB available, too.

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Ummmmmm, dooooooooonnnnnnnt caaaaarrrrrrreeeeee who or what the qb is as long as they finally provide stability and great play for many years

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk