Future QB Talk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
totally disagree. NFL teams get to see them act, interact, get to know them and see how they pick up basic NFL concepts. Scripted interviews and pro days check off boxes more than anything else.

They can do that at the combine/pro days and private workouts. And a prospect like Watson can do so when he is the only QB present rather than having to share the spotlight. The Senior Bowl is for marginal prospects to get recognized. The top prospects can get time with NFL teams where they and they alone are the focus.

None of which tells a coach if he can read a defense or make pre snap adjustments.

This is the big problem with QBs coming out of college. Everything is built into the systems now, QBs don't read defenses in college, the play is pre determined. So there's no way to know wether this vital skill is included in the package. Cutler is the poster child for this, as he has every other attribute needed to be a great quarterback, but since he is so slow to digest coverages or adjust mentally, he's not.

The Senior Bowl doesn't solve this problem. If it did then the NFL would make sure top prospects attended.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
totally disagree. NFL teams get to see them act, interact, get to know them and see how they pick up basic NFL concepts. Scripted interviews and pro days check off boxes more than anything else.

Did it help Prescott, Vernon Adams? They played very well and weren't even top prospects. The games are so vanilla that there isn't much to be gained by top QBs. They are expected to be accurate enough so about all they could do is disappoint expectations. There's not much to read and the rush is neutered so it's difficult to overcome something that may be dislike. It's not a format that will elevate a projected 1st round QB and a ding would be a disaster.

Risk reward is low, especially with the current rookie salary structure. In fact, after 5 years, a very good starting 2nd round QB will make more than than who we'd draft a 3 by virtue of being re-upped one year sooner.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lance Zierline

Draft Nathan Peterman from Pitt. He has the poise, accuracy and field vision to be an NFL starter. I'm a big fan after writing him up.

Dane Bugler in response

Agree. He's the No. 1 SR QB prospect in this class.

Jeff Risdon

Been watching some Nathan Peterman. He's able to do a lot of things I want my QB to do. Probably my fave Senior Bowl QB entering week.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Lance Zierline

Dane Bugler in response

Jeff Risdon

Bill Belicheck and the patriots will draft him in the 2-3 round and will be the successor to Brady in 3-4 years.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wonder if Peterman and the Bears will really click this week.

His game reminds me of what the Bears were doing when Hoyer and Barkley were not being bad. Ball out quick in the intermediate range to a bunch of WRs depending on coverage. A lot of designed deep 1 on 1s and very few hero throws.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't be surprised if Watson is the first QB taken this draft. Teams are going to fall in love with his personality and leadership and he is battle tested like no other QB prospect this draft. Hate on haters.

as long as it's before we draft at 3, i'm ok with it

Monster O

Liked Posts:

His game reminds me of what the Bears were doing when Hoyer and Barkley were not being bad. Ball out quick in the intermediate range to a bunch of WRs depending on coverage. A lot of designed deep 1 on 1s and very few hero throws.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Would be okay with this as a hedge bet like Cousins but not if he was the only one drafted. Peterman lacks stature and poise in the pocket that I would like to see for an NFL pocket passer and I think he lacks the physical ability he needs to overcome his pocket presence. He reminds me of Grossman a little when the pocket breaks down and that's not good.

goalsnine

Liked Posts:
I'd be happy if we take Adams in the first round and than 2nd round take Patrick mahomes. That'll be dope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Don't be surprised if Watson is the first QB taken this draft. Teams are going to fall in love with his personality and leadership and he is battle tested like no other QB prospect this draft. Hate on haters.

I think his experience just can't be overstated. Very little (if anything) in the NFL will be more pressure packed than what he's already been though.

Luke

Liked Posts:

He can really help himself out this week. DJ said he could possibly move himself into the 3rd round.

Luke

Liked Posts:
They can do that at the combine/pro days and private workouts. And a prospect like Watson can do so when he is the only QB present rather than having to share the spotlight. The Senior Bowl is for marginal prospects to get recognized. The top prospects can get time with NFL teams where they and they alone are the focus.

The Senior Bowl doesn't solve this problem. If it did then the NFL would make sure top prospects attended.

NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah said after Watson's decision was revealed that he didn't believe anyone in the NFL would have a problem with Watson's choice. However, he also said Watson could've helped himself by competing -- it would've been a unique setting for Watson to compete in, the likes of which won't be replicated at the combine or his pro day

Luke

Liked Posts:
it isn't but of course, you would know more than him. he has only attended every senior bowl, combine and various pro days for over a decade.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Lol....that's hardly the "extent' of Jeremiah's knowledge. It was one statement....

And considering there's chatter that a lot of teams have Watson ranked as a 2nd round prospect and many others have him as a mid-late 1st round pick, I think he would have a lot to gain by playing.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If any talent evaluator needs Watson to play one more game, which is a glorified scrimmage, to evaluate him more they need to be fired. How does Watson "help himself" by competing at the Senior Bowl? In my view Watson can only hurt himself by going to the Senior Bowl. Freak injury, bad performance, etc. Watson's last play on a football field is him throwing the winning TD pass in the NC game after roasting Alabama(again). Him going out and playing a scrimmage against a bunch of 2nd and 3rd day picks.....with guys he's not familiar with, in offenses he only has a week to pick up...The risk-reward is absurdly not in his favor.

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol....that's hardly the "extent' of Jeremiah's knowledge. It was one statement....

And considering there's chatter that a lot of teams have Watson ranked as a 2nd round prospect and many others have him as a mid-late 1st round pick, I think he would have a lot to gain by playing.

Yet these same people who are saying he's a 2nd rounder...have him going #10 overall in their mock drafts....

Watson has people around him at this point. They are in contact with NFL teams. This decision wasn't made randomly.

Luke

Liked Posts:

I don't even respond to asinine statements like his. He is at best, a late first round prospect and this if from NFL people not kiper, mcshay... He could have improved his stock by being there.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
i don't even respond to asinine statements like his. He is at best, a late first round prospect and this if from nfl people not kiper, mcshay... He could have improved his stock by being there.

how!?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't even respond to asinine statements like his. He is at best, a late first round prospect and this if from NFL people not kiper, mcshay... He could have improved his stock by being there.

He's going to go in the top 10 overall, and quite possibly the top 1 overall. The Sr bowl isn't going to make a lick of difference as far as improving his stock goes.