Future QB Talk

Mitchapalooza

What's the talent gap between Watson, Kizer and Kaaya?

These seem to be the top 3 QBs for the upcoming draft. I know A LOT can change between now and draft time, (Cook was the #1 or #2 QB this time last year), but for the draftniks on this site, what's your opinion on all 3? Would you be happy with any of them? Do you heavily prefer 1 compared to the other 2?

Just curious since if we draft top 5-10 this year, we'll most likely be trying to grab or trade up for a QB.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Watson is likely the most talented. He's also the most raw.

Kizer has the best intangibles and make up. Lots of arm talent. Big kid. "gets it". Compares athletically to Winston IMO.

Kaaya I need to watch more of but initial impressions is that he's below Kizer but more naturally athletic but just doesn't run much. He's an upgraded Bridgewater/Hundley(who I was REALLY high on) type to me right now.

I watched Watson last night and didn't come away overly impressed(in relation to him being the no duh #1 guy). He's the "worst" passer of the group of these three but has the most upside. He's kind of the Paxton Lynch of this year in the sense he has the highest ceiling and most upside but you have to see it translate. Like, you HAVE to like Watson and his tools but there's this thing where you wonder how it translates to the NFL and if he can throw NFL passes and what not.

Kizer to me is the "safest" pick. He's got some footwork issues to iron out on throws to the sideline. But everything is there.

Kaaya isn't a huge risk either IMO.

I would take any three of them without hesitation but if you're sitting there with all three as options..it's a hell of a debate.

Last edited:

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Watson is likely the most talented. He's also the most raw.

Kizer has the best intangibles and make up. Lot's of arm talent. Big kid. "gets it". Compares athletically to Winston IMO.

Kaaya I need to watch more of but initial impressions is that he's below Kizer but more naturally athletic but just doesn't run much. He's an upgraded Bridgewater/Hundley(who I was REALLY high on) type to me right now.

I watched Watson last night and didn't come away overly impressed(in relation to him being the no duh #1 guy). He's the "worst" passer of the group of these three but has the most upside. He's kind of the Paxton Lynch of this year in the sense he has the highest ceiling and most upside but you have to see it translate. Like, you HAVE to like Watson and his tools but there's this thing where you wonder how it translates to the NFL and if he can throw NFL passes and what not.

Kizer to me is the "safest" pick. He's got some footwork issues to iron out on throws to the sideline. But everything is there.

Kaaya isn't a huge risk either IMO.

I would take any three of them without hesitation but if you're sitting there with all three as options..it's a hell of a debate.

I'm a fan of Kaaya and Kizer. But, I feel like Pace will fear for his job at the end of the season, trade the farm for Jimmy G, and Jimmy G will suck in Chicago.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Davis Webb? Haven't seen him play at all, but I've seen his name mentioned a few times. 6-5 230 lbs. He's putting up big numbers. 13 Tds and 3 Picks so far this season.

Mitchapalooza

Davis Webb? Haven't seen him play at all, but I've seen his name mentioned a few times. 6-5 230 lbs. He's putting up big numbers. 13 Tds and 3 Picks so far this season.

13212940.jpg

a face like this will never win a superbowl

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Some people think Josh Rosen from UCLA is the best NFL prospect at QB in CFB right now. He's not eligible for the draft until 2018. I've watched him a few times. Very poised pocket passer, extremely accurate, good footwork and vision (for a college freshman/sophomore) not an exceptional arm but definitely fine. Hasn't looked quite as good this year, but that's been true of Watson so far as well.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Watson is very smooth and seems to have that big game presence and moxie.

Kizer checks every box and is improving every game.

Kaaya is smooth, but does not have the arm talent of the above guy. I like the comparison to a better Bridgewater. Kaaya reminds me of Garrapollo, accurate and solid athlete.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Watson is very smooth and seems to have that big game presence and moxie.

He's smooth athlete. I'm not sure he's a smooth "passer". He's got some Vince Young/ Philip Rivers/David Carr arm slot action. It's not a huge problem but sometimes throwing the ball he looks awkward doing it. Small issue though as he seems to be really accurate and can drop dimes when needed.

Big moments don't phase him at all though.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like the top 3 this season more than last. Especially with Kizer emerging.

He intrigues me the most.

Ditto. I liked the "depth" last year. There were easily 6 draftable QB's in my mind last season and some randoms. The class is more top heavy as of now but after the Top 3 you're really scraping to find another guy. Chad Kelly(all kinds of baggage) JT Barrett maybe?

cobra302

Liked Posts:
I prefer Kizer. The way he came in off the bench last year & took over like he'd been in charge of the offense all along. He can throw long balls with accuracy, seems to be pretty mobile, and shows leadership & enthusiasm. From my perspective, it also doesn't hurt that he's a Golden Domer, my favorite college team. While I'd be happy with any QB the Bears draft that will take charge & LEAD this team to wins, my preference would definitely be Kizer.

If he's able to come back, I'd also like to see Connor Shaw back out there as well. In the brief appearances before he was hurt in preseason, he showed leadership, hustle, and guts. He made things happen. Quite a contrast to Cutler's deadpan.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Id prefer kizer-watson over anybody else

Too bad pace is eyeing a trade up to #1 for a wr as part of his grand scheme after not resigning jeffrey or royal and watching white come off a 20 catch season.