Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was young then but I think Ozzie had more range not that Baez is bad. Keep in mind that Ozzie was playing on basically concrete so the ball moved a lot faster. Fun fact, part of the reason I'm no longer a cards fan(grew up in STL) is because young me was mad at the cards for playing Royce Clayton over Ozzie.... at age 40... yeah... I stand by that decision irrational as it may be. Ozzie was always my favorite as a kid and I'm glad now that i'm old I actually chose someone who's a legit good guy. Sandberg and Griffey Jr. sort of got me back into baseball post strike and that's sort of how I ended up cheering the cubs. Probably didn't hurt they were rivals of the team that didn't want tot play Ozzie anymore.

Ozzie had some range, you are right. I'm not sure about his ranging to his right but nothing up the middle got past him. The biggest comparison I find is their acrobatic ability and ability to throw accurately from off balanced positions. Some of the plays I have seen over this series have just put me in awe. This guy, if he stays healthy, is going to be a perennial highlight film player. And it seems he has learned how to hit, and hit for power. That is the only hole in Ozzie's magnificent career, he never was much more than a .260/45 RBI guy. That isn't bad, it just isn't outstanding. If Baez can be a 280/80rbi guy then he might be another star on this team.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Probably shouldn't trade him for Shelby Miller after all.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
The great ones show up in the playoffs. This year its cubs pitchers hitting, Baez and Bryant. Baez also hit last year in the playoffs with Soler. Its a great problem to have, we are all fine with Baez if Maddon finds a way to play him 145-150 games.

You cannot disregard the value Baez has right now for a team that wants an every day shortstop, but it definitely is not the time for this conversation. Sorry I fed that end of the topic. Lets just continue seeing him in these playoffs.

I do think he would get starts at short next series, but the problem is Zobrist is not making any of these plays at second. Definitely not stella. Its gonna be interesting.

WTF you talking about? They have Russell at short.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I would move Baez to net a raw, up and coming stud like Carlos Beltran or Mark Teixiera. Maddon could develop those guys into solid big leaguers one day.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Seriously though - Javy Baez is our 2B for the next 5 years. He's a dynamic athlete with insane instincts, elite foot work and tremendous versatility. His impact on the game is off the charts.

He could be as good as it gets. He's not going anywhere.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Despite his error last night, Baez was again sensational. Neither the tag DP in the first inning nor the clinching DP happens if anyone else is at second. The quickness with which he turned the Puig DP seem almost superhuman as I look back at the replays.