BBQ Rubs

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm in the market for a new smoker.

R_Mac_1

Liked Posts:
Last time I smoked some pork butt I only used salt due to a special diet my wife is on. It was still delicious in the end.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm in the market for a new smoker.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oklahoma-Joe-s-Longhorn-Black-Triple-Function-Combo-Grill/50329705

099143020297.jpg

That is what I got.... but I am in a townhouse with just a patio.... so I went with the hybrid so I could do it all in one on my patio.

I like it, but if you need just a new smoker you should probably go different.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I am in a townhouse with just a patio.... so I went with the hybrid so I could do it all in one on my patio.

This might be ghetto, but I swear by it. Large stone/graniteware roasting pans with rack and oversized lid. I see you're set, but anyone else with serious space constraints can still do some A-Grade smoking. Hell, people sell these pans for a few bucks at rummage sales and thrift stores. It's just coated metal, so burn it out, sit it on a couple cinder blocks, lay your chips, and just like magic, a sub $10 smoker that competes with a $300-600 specialty item. Downside is temp control, but IMO it's easier to learn and toss a $30 piece of meat than have an expensive grill barely get used. Obviously, benefits to both setups.

vendorimages0511._CB349365818_.jpg

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
RTYirvn.jpg

Doing a rack of ribs today

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And the results....

wUkP654.jpg

631eEnK.jpg

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think I have parkinson's when I take vertical pictures with my phone.... holy blurry batman

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Last time I smoked some pork butt I only used salt due to a special diet my wife is on. It was still delicious in the end.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

:isee:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think I have parkinson's when I take vertical pictures with my phone.... holy blurry batman
It was like watching Cloverfield all over again, but with BBQ instead of giant sea monsters

Guess Who

Liked Posts:
Those look good but the first ingredient is always salt because salt is cheap. I like to create my own spices such as throwing some jalapeños and red bell peppers on my smoker while I'm bbqing. Then I dehydrate them and finally grind them and wella I have smoked Chipotle and smoked paprika handy. Get some chillis from the bulk bin, remove the seeds and stems then grind and you have chilli powder. Always crush peppercorns instead of store bought ground pepper. Simple techniques can greatly improve your rubs and save money.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Those look good but the first ingredient is always salt because salt is cheap. I like to create my own spices such as throwing some jalapeños and red bell peppers on my smoker while I'm bbqing. Then I dehydrate them and finally grind them and wella I have smoked Chipotle and smoked paprika handy. Get some chillis from the bulk bin, remove the seeds and stems then grind and you have chilli powder. Always crush peppercorns instead of store bought ground pepper. Simple techniques can greatly improve your rubs and save money.

Conservtard. I mean, over salting meat is a surefire way of destroying it. There has to be a limit. Being cheap is no reason to turn a fine protein with limitless potential into a salt lick.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Why remove the seeds?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why remove the seeds?

Thats where the majority of the heat comes from. Not everyone like super spicy things and also a lot of people dont like eating seeds.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Thats where the majority of the heat comes from. Not everyone like super spicy things and also a lot of people dont like eating seeds.

I mean I get that I guess.
Peppers without the seeds and the "white pulp" just have no heat for me.

Funny before my wife I wouldn't even use black pepper. And now, sky's the limit.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Black's World Famous Dry rub. It's salt and pepper based rub with a little cayenne and paprika.

Guess Who

Liked Posts:
Conservtard. I mean, over salting meat is a surefire way of destroying it. There has to be a limit. Being cheap is no reason to turn a fine protein with limitless potential into a salt lick.

Why are you a dicktard, libtard? Who said anything about over salting meat? Dry brining doesn't over salt if done properly. You just can't use a heavily salted rub. THE first ingredient in most rubs are salt. That's why it's better to make your own salt free rubs. It's not about being cheap.It's all about taste. I make better bbq and for that matter cook better than most food joints. I make my own breads, pizza dough , ricotta, mozzarella cheeses etc. Not to save money but for taste.