BBQ Rubs

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am going to smoke two pork butts for the 10/20 Thursday Night Football game and then for the MNF on Halloween I am thinking about doing ribs and chicken.

I used a rub for my test run of the pork butt smoking when I had people over for da Bears on SNF, but I am looking for something better.

Post your favorite BBQ rubs and what you like to use it on.

I will start with vaguely what I used:

Salt
Pepper
Brown Sugar
Paprika
Garlic
Onion
Ground Mustard
Ground Ginger

The rub was good, but the proportions were off.... way too much salt, I might use it again but cut the salt in half.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are you gonna brine those pork butts?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Are you gonna brine those pork butts?

No, just rub and smoke.... do people really brine pork butts?

I thought that was just for da Chicken ?

Guess Who

Liked Posts:
Pork butt is very forgiving because of the fat content. The key is to cook it long enough for the fat to render. I've injected brines before but it's not necessary. What I like to do is salt the meat over nite and then use a salt free rub before smoking. This dry brine method works extremely well. I'll smoke until I get a nice bark usually 165-180 internal temp. Then wrap with a little apple juice or other liquid. Cook another hour or two till temp hits 195-203. It depends on feel. If my probe goes in like butter. Then I'll put the meat in a cooler for 1-2 hours. Then it should pull apart very easily . Add some vinegar based sauce to cut the fat and enjoy.

Guess Who

Liked Posts:
Amazing ribs site has some good rub recipes and explains the science as well. Follow his recipes and tweak them if you like. He's also a Chicagoan.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
+1 for meathead. Good stuff. I've been doing a ton of slow cooker pulled pork. I may never use my smoker again.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Smoking Tuna today for a Chef Soiree! Should be fun.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
+1 for meathead. Good stuff. I've been doing a ton of slow cooker pulled pork. I may never use my smoker again.

My brother inlaw pointed me at his site as well.... I think I may try out his dry rub for my pork butts for this upcoming Thursday.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, just rub and smoke.... do people really brine pork butts?

I thought that was just for da Chicken ?

Yea, some people brine. Some people "mop" the meat. Its preferences.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yea, some people brine. Some people "mop" the meat. Its preferences.

My intention was to go dry rub only.... have sauces people can put on their own sammich.

Guess Who

Liked Posts:
If I was doing two butts I would do one with Meatheads Memphis Dust and the other a Jamaican Jerk rub. Bobby Flay has some good recipes on the net.

Sometimes I'll smoke the butt till tender without wrapping to get that awesome bark and smoke ring. This can be done a day or two in advance. Then the day of serving I put in the crock pot with a little liquid for a few hours. Turns out moist and smoky with a great bark.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
EAQMR4d.jpg

I wound up using the same rub as last time, but I cut the salt in half.... it was well liked.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
EAQMR4d.jpg

I wound up using the same rub as last time, but I cut the salt in half.... it was well liked.

looks good...did you use any garlic powder in your rub?

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What kind of smoker ya got?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What kind of smoker ya got?

It is a hybrid grill/smoker, but the smoking element is an offset smoker with a firebox next to the charcoal grill with a chimney.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I was keeping this to myself like a dick, but I see the method is going viral and all over youtube. I've been aging beef a lot more for the last few years. Since sugar and salt are preservatives, that's all I've been doing. Sea salt rub and in more salt in the aging pan, then wait for 3-4 weeks. A few days before cooking add light brown sugar rub. Trim the meat and smoke, bake, or grill.

Nothing else and it's amazing.