Stellaris

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am always on the lookout for strategy/space games.... Sins of a Solar Empire got me started in that realm.

Stellaris is a 4X Strategy game.... you basically pick a race/empire to begin as or you make up your own and begin a game and it drops you somewhere random in the galaxy.... it all seems to be randomly generated so the place you sit and the planets/systems you have access to and the details about the planets are different for each play through.

It took me probably 4 hours of playing to get an understanding of all the mechanisms and how to best play the game.... I know that turns off alot of people.

I enjoy having games like this where I can play it and manage and still be able to watch a Hawks game or other sports.

Anyone else try it? Or anything similar?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I tried it and actually liked AI War. RTS is my favorite PC genre, but I'm not big into space games, so it really only gave me so much mileage. The kickstarter for AI War 2 came up on a podcast I follow, so I just passed it on.

Civilization VI comes out in less than 2 weeks. I'm guessing if you want a 4X game for winter to definitely have a loaded lobby of online players, then it's going to be hard to avoid.

Also, sorry, I just realized I derailed the thread a bit. You wanted to talk about Stellaris and find other interested players.

Last edited:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I tried it and actually liked AI War. RTS is my favorite PC genre, but I'm not big into space games, so it really only gave me so much mileage. The kickstarter for AI War 2 came up on a podcast I follow, so I just passed it on.

Civilization VI comes out in less than 2 weeks. I'm guessing if you want a 4X game for winter to definitely have a loaded lobby of online players, then it's going to be hard to avoid.

Also, sorry, I just realized I derailed the thread a bit. You wanted to talk about Stellaris and find other interested players.

It's fine Crys lol.... you and me seem to be two of the only RTS fans on the forum.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Btw I am like 10 hours into my current game and I am finding out that my plan for this game essentially makes me Hitler.... when you conquer a planet you basically have to assimilate the alien people into your Empire, or enslave them, or commit a ton of genocide and then spend resources to resettle those planets with your own people.

I was going for the Warhammer 40k Imperium.... FILTHY XENOS

AussieBear

You play any space RTS stuff?

my all time fav is sci-fi... star craft I and II.. i still havent played the last expansion yet... too busy... i dont play online though... i dabbled here and there, but got tired of all those 8 yr old koreans wiping me out in 2 minutes..

i always see you meantion war hammer.. is the series any good.. i never played any, even though i always say ill get around to it..

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
my all time fav is sci-fi... star craft I and II.. i still havent played the last expansion yet... too busy... i dont play online though... i dabbled here and there, but got tired of all those 8 yr old koreans wiping me out in 2 minutes..

i always see you meantion war hammer.. is the series any good.. i never played any, even though i always say ill get around to it..

I am into the Warhammer 40k genre.... there is regular Warhammer (like Total War: Warhammer) which is closer to 1400-1600s Earth with magic and junk thrown in and then Warhammer 40k which is much the same stuff, but set 40,000 years into the future so it is all space ships and Space Marines with power armor and junk.

The original Warhammer 40k Dawn of War RTS was great for its' time.... the 2nd one was ok, but not regular RTS.... no base building.... you commanded a few squads and it had RPG elements to the squads and the leaders.

Total War: Warhammer (which isn't pure RTS.... the campaign is turn-based, while the battles are real time) is alot of fun, but I have been buying/playing the Total War series since the first game in Shogun Total war.

Stellaris and games like it are more broad than just sci-fi RTS... like you are commanding an Empire within a Galaxy and you have control over alot more than just buildings and troops. Sins of a Solar Empire is somewhere in between, much more focused on the combat and ships, but still becomes a larger strategic game rather than just some RTS where you out click your opponent.

I can enjoy a Starcraft or C&C type game, but as I've matured I enjoy larger games with less of the frantic zerg mentality you find in the ordinary RTS games.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I continue to be Space Hitler :hitler:

I finally went after Russia right before winter.... have 2 empires knocking on my door.... my fleets rekt them, but they have so many godamned fleets and I only have 2 main ones and 1 minor reinforcement fleet... now it's time to pour troops into Stalingrad lol

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Isn't that what Rome did too? :thinking: