Chicago Blackhawks 2016-17 Season Thread

darkvirage

Liked Posts:
Big Hoss nominated for a well deserved Masterton.
Well deserved indeed. He's had a real solid year considering he's been on the third line most of the year. Great technician and future HOFer.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
A story from Canada: The Blackhawks are all the way back

It was right around the halfway mark of the season where Chicago started stepping on the gas. While there’s plenty of talent on this roster and it was absolutely reasonable to assume things would improve, I want to be clear about something: This Blackhawks team, for about 80-90 games spanning the end of last season and the beginning of this one, was shockingly average.

If you subscribed to the idea that age, contracts or some other variable had started eating away at the Blackhawks, how do you explain the improvement? The team’s now posting the exact 5-on-5 numbers we tend to see from talented playoff teams, owning the scoring chances and shot-differential battle on a regular basis.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Hawks will have 1st round home ice advantage for only the 2nd time since 10-11.

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Vinny Hinny Vicci was recalled

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Vinny Hinny Vicci was recalled

Subway should put the flying Italian in an Italian Sub commercial like they got with Dicky V. Vinny Hinostroza...

"he was so good, saucers here, saucers there, so many people haven't killed themselves over mistaken alien invasion since War of the World aired on radio, unbelieveable."

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hino>Jurco

!!!!!!! hell yeah...I've been dying to get him back.

Hino-Hossa is freaking unbelievable in how they will tilt the ice on you, then slide down it like an avalanche.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is this the peak? Or is this the best Hawks team yet?

Kane is at the peak of his powers. Since 2015. Crow is at his peak.

Toews found himself. For now. A couple years from now will he be able to? Hayden is a physical god send intent on winning a job that is hard to win right now, I heard a stat that his 33+ hits are second in league since he entered.

Now..maybe next year we mature these young guys, have near perfect health, and can retain most of them...but attrition will take its pound of flesh again and again. And so will vegas,

So...someone older and wiser tell me why some of the other recent 3 cup teams were better, or another year? Or the gordie years?

In terms of depth, I believe Rasmussen, Desjardins, Kero, and Hino are battling for 2 spots. 3C and 3/4W depending on where you slot Hayden/Hartman who are in.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Is this the peak? Or is this the best Hawks team yet?

Kane is at the peak of his powers. Since 2015. Crow is at his peak.

Toews found himself. For now. A couple years from now will he be able to? Hayden is a physical god send intent on winning a job that is hard to win right now, I heard a stat that his 33+ hits are second in league since he entered.

Now..maybe next year we mature these young guys, have near perfect health, and can retain most of them...but attrition will take its pound of flesh again and again. And so will vegas,

So...someone older and wiser tell me why some of the other recent 3 cup teams were better, or another year? Or the gordie years?

In terms of depth, I believe Rasmussen, Desjardins, Kero, and Hino are battling for 2 spots. 3C and 3/4W depending on where you slot Hayden/Hartman who are in.

I don't know much other than this. This is one of the best over-all structured sports teams of all time in terms of its blend of veterans and talented youth and will likely remain so for awhile longer. All players age and diminish. Last year we were almost ready to write off Hoss, Toews stalled, etc. But now look at it. Hoss has found the fountain of youth and Toews still remain one of the best over-all players in the league. The defense is stallworth and we have the best one-two goalie tandem in the world. But the great pleasure in this team is the excellence of the new players that they have brought in in the last two years.

I think that when excellent youth gets brought in it really puts a jump in the step of the veterans, a kind of mentorship, a challenge maybe to hold their own jobs? but in all cases an energy. I do not think that this is anykind of an accident and I give all of the credit to Wirtz and company:)

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Wow I didn't realize the only home ice advantage series the Hawks have lost was the 2014 WCF OT game 7 series vs the kings

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
One drew daughty goal from the three peat.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So which AHL players/prospects get called up to Black Aces this year?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baun, Pokka, and something Swedish

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Forsling, Pokka, Gustafson, Baun, Motte, Mashinter(maybe)

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
What's interesting is which goalie or maybe both get called up Las Johansson or Jeff Glass because it's possible if they don't sign someone else those two will battle for the backup spot next year

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
What's interesting is which goalie or maybe both get called up Las Johansson or Jeff Glass because it's possible if they don't sign someone else those two will battle for the backup spot next year

I thought Glass was just a journeyman vet they had for depth and well... beign a vet?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I thought Glass was just a journeyman vet they had for depth and well... beign a vet?
And he played better for Rockford than the others and he was called up last time over Lars and has the extended contract.

But neither have played an NHL game so they're both equally iffy.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
And he played better for Rockford than the others and he was called up last time over Lars and has the extended contract.

But neither have played an NHL game so they're both equally iffy.

Wasn't saying either way, more of a statement that I thought Lars was supposed to be the heir, isn't that how they lured him over here?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Yeah but he hasn't earned a case at it unchallenged.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Yeah but he hasn't earned a case at it unchallenged.

How so? Given how bad they are, I would say his stats aren't horrible? But I'm not as familiar with the AHL game. I mean it's on the low end of starting NHL goalies, but for a backup goalie I'm sure they'd be better.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Forsling called up today. First of many Black Aces on the way, I'd bet.