Pitching Matchups: Game 3 and Beyond

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
With the series tied 1-1, lets take a look at the pitching match ups going forward.

Game 3: Jake Arrieta vs Rich Hill. Look, Hill had some incredible performances this season but he's 36 years old. The past few starts he showed signs of starting to fade. He's been in the majors for 11 years but he hasn't logged that many innings. I just think Hill might be getting a little outside his comfort zone, while Jake loves this setting.

Game 4: Lackey vs Urias. I can't imagine LA would trot out Maeda on 3 days rest. Urias is 20 years old with only 77 innings pitched his entire career. He's been pretty good so far - but its a lot to ask of a kid to pitch Game 4 in the NLCS. He's facing off against a tough veteran with multiple championship rings. How can you not feel good about Lackey in this?

Game 5: Lester vs Kershaw. This will be the game of the series. Lester vs Kerhsaw, on short rest. I mean they have to pitch Kershaw here, right? I can't imagine they want a rematch of Maeda/Lester. Kershaw might be running on fumes - but how can anybody bet against him ever?

Game 6: Hendricks vs Maeda. This is a great match up for us. Especially at Wrigley.

Game 7: Arrieta vs Hill. All hands on deck for Game 7. If I'm LA, I'm not loving Hill in a game 7 at Wrigley -- even if he pitches well in Game 3.

I really think this series favors us. If we get to the bullpen in Game 3 (with two more consecutive games in a row) -- that will give us the decisive edge. This series should play out nicely for us.

#LetsGo

chibears55

Liked Posts:
With the series tied 1-1, lets take a look at the pitching match ups going forward.

Game 3: Jake Arrieta vs Rich Hill. Look, Hill had some incredible performances this season but he's 36 years old. The past few starts he showed signs of starting to fade. He's been in the majors for 11 years but he hasn't logged that many innings. I just think Hill might be getting a little outside his comfort zone, while Jake loves this setting.

Game 4: Lackey vs Urias. I can't imagine LA would trot out Maeda on 3 days rest. Urias is 20 years old with only 77 innings pitched his entire career. He's been pretty good so far - but its a lot to ask of a kid to pitch Game 4 in the NLCS. He's facing off against a tough veteran with multiple championship rings. How can you not feel good about Lackey in this?

Game 5: Lester vs Kershaw. This will be the game of the series. Lester vs Kerhsaw, on short rest. I mean they have to pitch Kershaw here, right? I can't imagine they want a rematch of Maeda/Lester. Kershaw might be running on fumes - but how can anybody bet against him ever?

Game 6: Hendricks vs Maeda. This is a great match up for us. Especially at Wrigley.

Game 7: Arrieta vs Hill. All hands on deck for Game 7. If I'm LA, I'm not loving Hill in a game 7 at Wrigley -- even if he pitches well in Game 3.

I really think this series favors us. If we get to the bullpen in Game 3 (with two more consecutive games in a row) -- that will give us the decisive edge. This series should play out nicely for us.

#LetsGo
I agree, but favorable pitching matchup dont mean anything unless guys start hitting. .

I doubt they bring Kershaw back on 3 days rest again..
I think they save him for game 6..

Of course if cubs win 3 and 4 ,then they might have to consider it ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

czman

Liked Posts:
I agree, but favorable pitching matchup dont mean anything unless guys start hitting. .

I agree. I am not sure they wiill trot him out their in game 4 unless the Cubs are up 3 to 1. Even if they do they Cubs still have will have game 6/7 to close out with no Kershaw.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

They'll bring Kershaw back for game 5 if they're down 3 games to 1 which I think they will be. I seriously doubt this series goes past 6 games. Run prevention continues to be the most important part of our game.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

#LetsGo

Not a bad assessment but I do disagree with a couple of them. Lackey v Urias...this kid has got top shelf stuff and lately he's been throwing strikes with it. At this point, I'm not sure I like Lackey against anyone. Lester vs Kershaw....I think it depends on the out comes of games 3 and 4 whether we see him in game 5 and running on fumes? I wish the hell I was running on those kind of fumes.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:

If they put Maeda in Game 5, that won't end well for LA.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Not a bad assessment but I do disagree with a couple of them. Lackey v Urias...this kid has got top shelf stuff and lately he's been throwing strikes with it. At this point, I'm not sure I like Lackey against anyone. Lester vs Kershaw....I think it depends on the out comes of games 3 and 4 whether we see him in game 5 and running on fumes? I wish the hell I was running on those kind of fumes.

Kershaw is a different breed, as he cruised last night with virtually no trouble all game. But he pitched 3 times in a 5 game series. To come back on short rest and pitch the way he did in Game 2 was magnificent. Short of Madbum, I can't think of too many other guys who can do that.

But he's going on pure adrenaline now. And if he pitches on short rest AGAIN in Game 5 -- I mean there is a limit to what a person can do (even Kershaw). But its still a better option than Maeda.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Kershaw is a different breed, as he cruised last night with virtually no trouble all game. But he pitched 3 times in a 5 game series. To come back on short rest and pitch the way he did in Game 2 was magnificent. Short of Madbum, I can't think of too many other guys who can do that.

Bob Gibson, Mickey Lolich, Christy Mathewson, Sandy Koufax, Waite Hoyt

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Good to see were bringing up pitcher comparisons from 2,3+ generations ago. Seems relevant.

Ksap24

Liked Posts:
If there is a game 7 I can't see kershaw not starting the way the dodgers are using him

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Considering Kershaw had some extended time off during the season, I tend to think he is very fresh and could handle an abnormally heavy load if asked of him.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

But he's going on pure adrenaline now. And if he pitches on short rest AGAIN in Game 5 -- I mean there is a limit to what a person can do (even Kershaw). But its still a better option than Maeda.

he didn't pitch on short rest yesterday..
He had a regular 4 days off before pitching yesterday..
He threw 7 pitches on Thursday, so it was like a bullpen day

The only way I see them possibly going to Kershaw on Thursday, is if their down 3-1 or maybe even up 3-1 to end it..
He looked burnt out in those last 2 innings, hard to imagine his arm will bounce back with short rest..
He may start but he might not be as effective as he was yesterday..

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
My predictions:

Arrieta vs Hill. Hill has gone to his curve and that has lead to his late career success. That said, he is not Kershaw. I believe when they get to the third time around he will get yanked or plowed out.

Jake is a big game pitcher. I expect him to be on his game. I just hope Ross is catching because Jake's swoon happened right around the same time they went with Contreras. Never a good sign.

That said I see Jake going out with a chip on his shoulder.

Game 4:

Lackey vs ?. John has the ability to go 8 giving up 1 run. I can see a bounce back here. If Urias he will need it. Cubs has a tough time figuring him out last time. Maeda: he was not impressive. I doubt they risk him on short rest.

Lackey I believe pitches his arce off this game.

Game 5. Roberts has shown he will toss his guys into the fire to win. Shaw will pitch. Don't be surprised if he also tosses him into one of the 2 previous games because he be like that. All he has shown so far is he doesn't trust his staff and he needs to over work his ace and closer to get the job done. Amazing really.

Damn good game I'm expecting. They got to Lester game 1 and the Cubs did not get to Shaw. So even on short rest you can't favor the Cubs here.

Should come back to Wrigg 3-2 and watch Roberts blow up Jennings and Shaw's arms. Dude don't care it seems.