Pitching Matchups: Game 3 and Beyond

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In an interview last Friday Arrieta said he hasn't felt good about his cutter all season but these last couple of weeks he's had a chance to work on it and he feels like he has it back now.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
My predictions:

Arrieta vs Hill. Hill has gone to his curve and that has lead to his late career success. That said, he is not Kershaw. I believe when they get to the third time around he will get yanked or plowed out.

Jake is a big game pitcher. I expect him to be on his game. I just hope Ross is catching because Jake's swoon happened right around the same time they went with Contreras. Never a good sign.

That said I see Jake going out with a chip on his shoulder.

Game 4:

Lackey vs ?. John has the ability to go 8 giving up 1 run. I can see a bounce back here. If Urias he will need it. Cubs has a tough time figuring him out last time. Maeda: he was not impressive. I doubt they risk him on short rest.

Lackey I believe pitches his arce off this game.

Game 5. Roberts has shown he will toss his guys into the fire to win. Shaw will pitch. Don't be surprised if he also tosses him into one of the 2 previous games because he be like that. All he has shown so far is he doesn't trust his staff and he needs to over work his ace and closer to get the job done. Amazing really.

Damn good game I'm expecting. They got to Lester game 1 and the Cubs did not get to Shaw. So even on short rest you can't favor the Cubs here.

Should come back to Wrigg 3-2 and watch Roberts blow up Jennings and Shaw's arms. Dude don't care it seems.
Maeda will be on a regular 4 days rest, pitching Game 5 on Thursday Vs Lester..

As of now

Arrieta Vs Hill
Lackey Vs Urias
Lester Vs Maeda

On paper, cubs should be able to take 2 of 3 with these matchup with a possibility of a sweep
But
As always, pitchers gotta pitch and hitters gotta hit

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Greg Maddux ruined Rich Hills career when the cubs traded him to the Padres. First game Hill threw there, he got crushed and it went around the league. He has pretty much been floating around since then til finally now. I dont know what he was tipping, dont know if he adjusted it or if the league just forgot, but hill was getting destroyed.

I agree they will Hold Kershaw if they know the series is going back to chicago, but I fully expect Kershaw to throw game 5 and 7.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The Dodgers pitch Kershaw in a game 4 clincher or to keep the cubs from clinching. No reason to pitch him unless one of these scenarios plays out. With the Cubs hitting woes any pitcher the dodgers use they will be in the game. They should have pounded Maeda but didn't.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Considering Kershaw had some extended time off during the season, I tend to think he is very fresh and could handle an abnormally heavy load if asked of him.

I dunno. Arm yes, but his back...it can't be as good as any of the pitchers still alive in the playoffs

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The Dodgers pitch Kershaw in a game 4 clincher or to keep the cubs from clinching. No reason to pitch him unless one of these scenarios plays out. With the Cubs hitting woes any pitcher the dodgers use they will be in the game. They should have pounded Maeda but didn't.

Can't be any clinchers for game #4

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Arrieta has been dominate against LA. They really struggle against him. And the bigger the stage, the better he seems to do. I'm not predicting a shut out but Jake should keep us in the game. The question is what we do against Hill. Hill looked pretty shaken his last outing. My buddy swears he's not a big stage performer. Maybe it will help being at home -- but he's going to need better command tonight for LA to get the W.

It's a favorable match up for us. A win would be nice, but it would be doubly as meaningful if we get to their bullpen early. With three straight games and a tired group of pitchers - it could have a huge impact on the rest of the series. I don't think LA can win a war of attrition against us.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Dodgers are 4-0 when Kershaw pitches. 0-3 when he doesn't.

Doubt he sits until game 6.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Greg Maddux ruined Rich Hills career when the cubs traded him to the Padres. First game Hill threw there, he got crushed and it went around the league. He has pretty much been floating around since then til finally now. I dont know what he was tipping, dont know if he adjusted it or if the league just forgot, but hill was getting destroyed.

I agree they will Hold Kershaw if they know the series is going back to chicago, but I fully expect Kershaw to throw game 5 and 7.

Rich Hill lacked conference. What we are seeing now was a process of him maturing as a pitcher after finding success in the pen for a few years. Then him going to his curve as his primary offering. That changed his outlook. Before his primary pitch was his 4 seem and he used that to set up his curve. His 4 seem sits in the low 90's in his prime. His curve was always nasty but now he is using it as his primary and we are seeing the result of it.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Dodgers are 4-0 when Kershaw pitches. 0-3 when he doesn't.

Doubt he sits until game 6.

Yeah, he's going to go in Game 5. Unless LA wins Game 3 and 4 and is up 3-1. That would be the only scenario in which I see him being held out until Game 6.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Arrieta and Lackey simply shouldn't put the team in a position to lose against Hill and Urias. I mean by that, I expect the Cubs to score 3-5 runs in each of these two games and that has to be enough for these two guys to win. I'm looking for six+ out of Jake tonight with no more than two runs. With Lackey and a 2-1 lead, I'd be highly tempted to get 3-4 innings out him and then flip over to Montgomery for a few innings because the Dodgers simply don't hit lefties and they'd have to make PH decisions in the 4-6 innings on what they want to do with their lineup.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Arrieta and Lackey simply shouldn't put the team in a position to lose against Hill and Urias. I mean by that, I expect the Cubs to score 3-5 runs in each of these two games and that has to be enough for these two guys to win. I'm looking for six+ out of Jake tonight with no more than two runs. With Lackey and a 2-1 lead, I'd be highly tempted to get 3-4 innings out him and then flip over to Montgomery for a few innings because the Dodgers simply don't hit lefties and they'd have to make PH decisions in the 4-6 innings on what they want to do with their lineup.

Dodgers supposedly don't hit lefties -- but yet they made pretty good contact off Lester. He only gave up 4 hits but I counted half a dozen well-squared up, hardhit balls. They got a hit in their only at-bat against Montgomery in Game 1. They got a huge hit off Chapman in Game 1. So They actually can hit lefties -- six hits in game 1 with six more hit well.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Dodgers supposedly don't hit lefties -- but yet they made pretty good contact off Lester. He only gave up 4 hits but I counted half a dozen well-squared up, hardhit balls. They got a hit in their only at-bat against Montgomery in Game 1. They got a huge hit off Chapman in Game 1. So They actually can hit lefties -- six hits in game 1 with six more hit well.

There is no "supposedly" in the claim. The Dodgers don't hit lefties, and a paltry two-game sample size against the Cubs does not change a season's worth of evidence.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=&age=0&filter=&players=0

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Can you read? They batted .213 against lefties -- not .000. If they didn't hit lefties, how did they bat .213? They obviously hit some time or they'd be batting .000.

So you are in the most literal sense wrong. The best team hit .273 and the worst (LA) hit .213. A seven game series is a small sample size, period.

Saying they cannot under any circumstance hit lefties as an actual fact is clearly wrong. They don't hit them well, but they most certainly hit them - as they showed to to three different lefties on Saturday.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Their best hitters are LH. That sums it up. Their RH bats have to step up in those situations.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can you read? They batted .213 against lefties -- not .000. If they didn't hit lefties, how did they bat .213? They obviously hit some time or they'd be batting .000.

So you are in the most literal sense wrong. The best team hit .273 and the worst (LA) hit .213. A seven game series is a small sample size, period.

Saying they cannot under any circumstance hit lefties as an actual fact is clearly wrong. They don't hit them well, but they most certainly hit them - as they showed to to three different lefties on Saturday.

What? Dont be a meatball. The Dodgers are dead last in the league against lefties. They sport a .213 AVG, .290 OBP, and a .622 OPS against lefties this season. that is like facing a team of Heywards. Sure, they could get to a lefty but Ill take the almost 80% odds that they dont.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
What? Dont be a meatball. The Dodgers are dead last in the league against lefties. They sport a .213 AVG, .290 OBP, and a .622 OPS against lefties this season. that is like facing a team of Heywards. Sure, they could get to a lefty but Ill take the almost 80% odds that they dont.

Man you're lucky you posted this on my non-troll forum -- or I'd come at you like a flying squirrel monkey!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk