Unfortunate, but not unexpected

czman

Liked Posts:
The loss yesterday was unfortunate, but not unexpected. The Dodgers pitched their best pitcher on short rest and their closer was used for 2 innings. Getting multiple players looks at Jansen will only help the Cubs as the series wears on.

I really like that Hill is following Kershaw. Hill is like a poverty stricken Kershaw; curve, slider, 4-seem, changeup. They are both left handed and about the same height. The fact that they throw similar pitches, from the side, can only help the Cubs “see” Hill better. Moreover, Hill has been bad in the playoffs. 7+ ERA and 3 starts with a total of 10 innings. He has not gotten out of the 5th in any of his post season starts.
A win tomorrow, and the Cubs are right back in the driver seat. Kershaw cannot pitch every game and I like Cubs in every matchup outside of the Hendricks/Kershaw matchup.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Sure, it was Kershaw, but after the huge game 1 win, I expected the team to come out fired up and do more damage than 2 hits and 10 Ks.

Typical Cubs to follow a big game with an absolute clunker.

Rise

Liked Posts:
It's not that they lost that demoralized me it's how they lost. 1-0 is always a missed opportunity I don't care who the pitcher is. That said you're right just win tomorrow and things are right on track. I did not expect to win game 2 but it sucks cause they really could have.

Really need the Cubs to take 2 out of 3 in LA in my opinion. We don't want to go to game 6 down 3-2 facing Kershaw. If that happens I'd be in panic mode but not before.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes - no worries. Couldn't be closer despite the Cubs hitting terribly overall.

1. Did you see the graph & stats on how 66% of the time with the exit velocity & speed, Baez would've homered at Wrigley (but wind kept it in for warning track out w/ 1 on)??

2. Another one gave stats on hard-driven balls in play was average or even slightly above, but a much higher % were outs...essentially = bad luck on good contact. Was the case for the team and Rizzo & Russell who aren't putting up #s but aren't as bad as results speak basically.

3. Gotta drive up the pitch counts. True, although ave # pitches per AB are pretty close to average also...just less # of ABs due to outs vs. balls in play being hits.

All 3 of those should average out no matter who's pitching. Any one of those things averages out and it's more likely 2-0.

Game 2 was just THAT close. Also note that the ump was not that close to even on his bad calls and widened strike zone given to Kersh.

Fingers crossed for some early damage to Hill & make them play from behind.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
The series being tied at 1-1 isn't terrible

BUT a 1-0 loss sucks! I wasn't a supporter of the idea that the Cubs simply got "Kershaw'd"...there's no such thing. In exactly 0 of his 12 post-season starts before that did he go 7 innings and give up 0 runs.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, a near win hurts more sometimes when it seems so close!

I'd rather lose 0-1 like this than 4-8 any day though!

We got tons of media love winning 1-0 vs. SF. It goes both ways. Can't hate on them crushing on Kersh's dominance.

If anything we're all trained to EXPECT brilliance from Hendricks & the rest at this point. Great problem to have!

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Dont like the middle 3 played away in the series, but what are we going to do? Pitching matchups definitely in our favor. I dont know what adjustments Rich Hill made after Maddux let the padres know how he was tipping pitches, but he will not go deep in this game so Hill wont be the setup man for Jansen.

Great game by Hendricks though. Cant wait til his zone is as big as what Kershaw gets to throw to.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I never expected us to sweep.