DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Refs are terrible for sure though.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Lol at 6b people. 99%+ have never even seen a football!

Fair enough. You can LOL all you want.

That doesn't change the fact that there are 6B+ people on the planet and there are 15 at present that can play NFL QB at a quality level.

You can argue the reasons why all day long, but stating that most of the world doesn't know or care about American football doesn't change that reality.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Every person bitching in this thread would pull a 180 if the Bears were winning. Fantasy football, all 22, Red Zone, the NFLN, etc... Have brought the game and its players closer to the fan. We're just a bunch of bitter ass Bears fans blaming anything and everybody.

Lol at this thread.

Completely wrong. This is a league wide thing. Ratings are down considerably and sites like ProFootballTalk have weekly articles on it.

All of the factors others have said plus the marriage of politics and sports which is VERY off-putting to many people.

Did you watch the games last week? The MNF game with the Jets was abysmal. Some of the worst QB play you are ever going to see and I believe there were flags thrown on 7 straight plays. Even Sean Mcdonough - the damn ANNOUNCER - said the game was unwatchable.

Reactions: WCL

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
I still watch football every week, but it's not the same. I watch for the fantasy football aspect and do some light gambling. The flags and injuries are the worst. You have to think the injuries are do to players being almost like race horses these days as well as the lack of physical contact during practice. The flags are just insane.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Fair enough. You can LOL all you want.

That doesn't change the fact that there are 6B+ people on the planet and there are 15 at present that can play NFL QB at a quality level.

You can argue the reasons why all day long, but stating that most of the world doesn't know or care about American football doesn't change that reality.

Yeah, but by including everyone in the world you're making it sound like playing QB is some sort of superpower! How many men aged between 16 and 40 are there in the US that have played QB (given that no one else really plays). Take that figure if you like.

Madden

Liked Posts:
All good points. I'd like to add that the commentators have gotten a lot more annoying. I don't want to hear their personal opinions or hear about who is kneeling during the anthem, or really anything that doesn't have to do with actual football. It's gotten too soap opera-ish. Give me more x's and o's football talk. And holy shit there are too many commercials now...it's like watching one long ad with football sprinkled in. And of course the Bears being a complete joke isn't generating any excitement at all.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good thread, fellas. Unless I missed it, I don't think anyone said, "It sucks 'cause they ain't allowed to hit no more!" Very little meatballism in this thread, and I thank you.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All good points. I'd like to add that the commentators have gotten a lot more annoying. I don't want to hear their personal opinions or hear about who is kneeling during the anthem, or really anything that doesn't have to do with actual football. It's gotten too soap opera-ish. Give me more x's and o's football talk.

I was talking to some friends awhile back about whether a sports news network could exist without any of the personal stuff. If a player gets suspended because of domestic abuse, they would simply go "Player X was suspended today for personal misconduct" and that's it. They wouldn't have hour after hour of people talking about it. They'd spend that time covering results, stats, analysis (actual X's and O's, not "should this guy wear those shoes during the game"), etc. I would be willing to watch that network.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
The change in quality of football is very noticeable. It is very aggravating to watch football when guys clearly aren't understanding what they are supposed to be doing. This game is not rocket science and it appears these young guys typically learn very slowly.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Haha, I just reread what I wrote. I think I hit the tab key and was typing part of that in another window.

Hopefully you didn't have a business presentation with "football when guys clearly aren't understanding what they are supposed to be doing. This game is not rocket science and it appears these" randomly included in the text.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
Hopefully you didn't have a business presentation with "football when guys clearly aren't understanding what they are supposed to be doing. This game is not rocket science and it appears these" randomly included in the text.

I found it, it was actually in my perl script...I hate it when that happens.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Yeah, but by including everyone in the world you're making it sound like playing QB is some sort of superpower! How many men aged between 16 and 40 are there in the US that have played QB (given that no one else really plays). Take that figure if you like.

Fine. Take the number of pro, college, etc players who play QB. Look at all of the draft picks from all of the rounds over the last 10
years. Focus on the first row rounds. Almost ALL suck. Not mediocre but suck.

Think about it. The best guys playing that position all came into the league 10-15 years ago. Almost all of the guys coming in since then have been terrible to average. The top ones ala Luck and Cam (both #1) have been inconsistent.

Everyone is on Dak's nuts. He's playing as a game manager and that offense is led by that great o line and the best running game in the NFL

Again, there are 15 people right now who are doing the job of NFL qb at a quality level. That's it. Maybe 5 are elite and they are all gonna be out of the league in the next 2-5 years. Shitty qbs are replaced with shitty qbs

This league is fucked when it comes to qb play. They'd better fix this shit and quick. The lack of continuity with the college game and the pro game is killing the NFL

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Maybe a blessing in disguise. If there are a lack of elite QBs on the horizon then maybe the league will get away from making rules to try and promote the video game passing style of offense.

Maybe we'll get really lucky and it'll cause the end of fantasy football and a return to people actually talking about real games and teams again.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The new CBA has had a negative effect on the quality of games. The players don't practice nearly as much as they used to, they don't hit nearly as much as they used to. Timing, precision, and frankly skill are diminished by the lack of practice. It is, as they say, a game of inches. Combine that with arbitrary over-refereeing and you have a product that just isn't as good as it was a few years ago.

Even my wife, who is a legit football fan, noticed the decline in the quality of play last year. I think this year it's gotten a bit worse.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Ratings keep diving:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ratings keep diving:

So while overall numbers are down on people watching their own teams a little, the biggest dip is in the primetime games. People aren't watching games where their own team isn't involved as much.