Nintendo Switch

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
This does look interesting for sure. The new Mario game looks less Galaxy and more Sunshine, as far as level and world design. Which IMO is also a huge plus, something fans have been hoping Nintendo would do. First party titles will make it worth it. I do wonder if couch co-ops will allow multiple screens on one machine now, one of a few fatal Wii-U mistakes.

Developing for multiple consoles hasn't been an issue since the GBC because PPC and ARM development isn't very far off once you have the IDE(in 2000 they had very good internal IDEs). That might be what comes out from marketing people at Nintendo, but really it's just a way to suggest that Nintendo doesn't think standalone handheld consoles will compete with phones. So this makes me wonder if we'll see phone cases for partnered phones that will use Nintendo switch style mounting accessories.

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
This does look interesting for sure. The new Mario game looks less Galaxy and more Sunshine, as far as level and world design. Which IMO is also a huge plus, something fans have been hoping Nintendo would do. First party titles will make it worth it. I do wonder if couch co-ops will allow multiple screens on one machine now, one of a few fatal Wii-U mistakes.

Developing for multiple consoles hasn't been an issue since the GBC because PPC and ARM development isn't very far off once you have the IDE(in 2000 they had very good internal IDEs). That might be what comes out from marketing people at Nintendo, but really it's just a way to suggest that Nintendo doesn't think standalone handheld consoles will compete with phones. So this makes me wonder if we'll see phone cases for partnered phones that will use Nintendo switch style mounting accessories.

Kind of got away from me with those development terms lol, but yeah, I more or less meant that games wouldn't need to have separate versions like Smash Brothers on Wii U and on 3DS. So the games should have more players on just the one version, but who knows.

I'm a huge fan of the Galaxy games, Sunshine was very underrated though and I'd be happy to see them head back into that direction. The reveal trailer showed people playing NBA2K on multiple screens, I'm not sure but I'm assuming those screens are running on the same system. It's cool because it looks to eliminate split screen, which for example, Mario Kart is a drag on 4 player split screen.

I lug my Playstation from my place to my parents house quite often, so this is definitely appealing to me.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
i honestly see it flopping, though perhaps not as badly as the wii u. but it will still struggle to land third party cross platform games, let alone exclusives and will need to survive based on nintendos own IPs. thatll help but in the end itll have a small market. nintendo needs to stop trying to exists outside of the typical console war and get back into the thick of it like they once were, but at the same time they arent in the thick of it because they simply havent been able to compete so theyve needed to resort to gimmicks and trying to exist outside of it...

it may have success if it becomes nintendos main portable system though... but problem is itll be priced as a home console, so again nintendos gimmicks have damned them. they are caught in a catch22. they cant compete so they resort to gimmicks but their own efforts to compete only bury them deeper. doesnt help that since the wii they are essentially a generation behind.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
If the old rumors from people in the know still hold up, the launch Mario game is going to be an open world sandbox game with a mix of multiple styles that will be inside this world. IDK if that means it's Mario GTA. Karts instead of cars, powerups instead of weapons, etc. But any way they went with it, Miyamoto has shown that he is still coming up with new great ideas. No Miyamoto, no Nintendo.

Also, Nintendo doesn't need a lot of third party games to be successful. They have a huge first party list of franchises that continues to grow. I have a PS4 and XBO, but I play the Wii-U the most, because it's not a couch exclusive system. PC is PC, and it's silly to have 3 systems that do the same things IMO. Until AR/VR is clean, and not just tech demos and unpolished features that make early adopters justify the purchases, Nintendo has a huge opening to break through.

Plus, they have so much money in the bank, and so many IPs, that they can flop another 2 systems and still come out okay. I just don't think they can flop this. Especially since they will pretty much recoup the hardware R&D at launch by using the tegra platform, then recoup the price offset a few months after. Basically impossible to flop. Something tiny like 8 million units would break them even for the life of the hardware.

Last edited:

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Obviously the console's specs are a very important point here. Will it upscale to 4K? Will it be as strong as PS4/Xbone? It's rumored to use those tegra chips, is that still considerably behind current consoles, I read that if it has dual tegra chips then it will be able to compete with current consoles.

I don't really get the gimmick vibe here myself, the console is either a home console you can take and continue to play anywhere or a handheld that you very easily dock to play from home. I guess you can consider those little side controllers gimmicky (I wont be using those no matter what) but it doesn't feel as gimmicky as motion controls/VR.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
No console hardware is generationally 4k ready. Generationally meaning, without removing a considerable amount of models rendered to achieve playable framerates. To be generationally ready, would mean being able to scale everything. Then you ask yourself, is it going to look better with less details and higher resolution, or lower resolution but more details? IMO, consoles shouldn't focus on UHD until 4K content in general(including movies and broadcast TV and/or streaming) reaches the majority of the market. Let early adopters build $1200+ rigs and $500+ for proper displays to keep progression going for THIS round of console refreshes and releases. True next gen will be a different story.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im tired of PS4. Havent bought a gaming system that wasnt playstation since super nintendo. I think I am going to buy this.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That new Zelda game looks pretty awesome. Wouldn't be surprised if they sell a lot of consoles just based on Mario and Zelda.