Phillips getting his nose in football operations again

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brian Hoyer's time as Chicago's starting quarterback certainly impressed the Bears' coaching staff, but his status as the team's permanent starter was still undetermined even before he suffered a broken left arm against the Packers on Thursday.

Prior to Thursday's game against the Packers, Bears CEO Ted Phillips told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport that it was too early to rule out Jay Cutler's return as the starting quarterback. Of course, with Hoyer expected to miss a lengthy period of time with a broken arm, it now makes sense that Cutler will reassume starting quarterback duties once he fully heals from a nagging thumb injury.

The information initially came as a surprise because coach John Fox had said if Hoyer continued his run of impressive performances (at least statistically), he'd likely remain the starter, even if Cutler was healthy. Hoyer has strung together four straight games of 300-plus yards passing and has a touchdown-to-interception ratio of 6-0. Sounds good enough to be the starter, right?

But with Hoyer, his ceiling always is in sight, it seems. He's not a quarterback who can make every throw. He's been one meltdown away from catastrophe in the past. And he's 31 years old.

On the flip side, Cutler is 33 years old and is due to make $16 million in base salary in 2016. With the addition of a roster bonus in the offseason, that number becomes $15 million in 2017, and only increases as the years go on.

But there is reason for optimism for Chicago. Cutler's guaranteed money is almost gone, so the Bears can move on if they so desire. The Bears' management, headed by general manager Ryan Pace, has never been sold on Cutler, and almost traded him away a couple of years ago, Rapoport reported. That potentially opens the door for a new era under center in Chicago.

That new era will require a bridge quarterback, which Hoyer, currently on a one-year deal, could become if that role suits his desires and if Chicago chooses to retain him before free agency. The second -- and more important -- part of that new era would require a newly drafted quarterback.

But before we get there, the Bears will have to decide from their limited viewing of Hoyer if he's worth keeping or if they should keep Cutler under center in Chicago.

RunRunRunPunt

Liked Posts:
Phillips knows that with Cutler gives the Bears the slightest chance to being somewhat competitive aka as mediocre

Other than the Cowboys game the rest of our opponents weren't anything special.

Of course our team isnt special either.

Ryan Pace got the job on the promise that he will be a Yes man.It will be interesting to see how things unfold cause the Bears certainly will not win more than last years win total.

The injury bug really hit the bears this year

Unfortuantely I do not trust this organization to draft a QB let alone develop him

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
It's not like he's inaccurate by saying that. Putting up 10 PPG I wouldn't necessarily rule out the corpse of Sid Luckman returning for the Bears.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He said it's too early to rule it out. That's it.

Total non story and sportsmockeryish clickbait thread title.

First off this is from NFL.com and the source is Ian Rapoport who is privy to inside info at Halas Hall.

Though Phillips said little he took a stance which contradicts what Fox and Pace seem to have, at least prior to Hoyer's injury.

The larger point though here is Phillips has no business talking about football ops and needs to stay the fuck away from football opinions and decisions. That is all.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
First off this is from NFL.com and the source is Ian Rapoport who is privy to inside info at Halas Hall.

Though Phillips said little he took a stance which contradicts what Fox and Pace seem to have, at least prior to Hoyer's injury.

The larger point though here is Phillips has no business talking about football ops and needs to stay the fuck away from football opinions and decisions. That is all.
How do you know that Phillips simply isn't echoing the sentiments of Coach and or GM? They haven't taken a HARD stance on Hoyer/Curler one way or another. Fox is on record as saying, I don't know how this will play out.

It's very likely they put Cutler back in if Hoyer had continued not putting points on the board. The likelihood of Jay playing now moving forward is even greater considering Hoyers injury.

WhatAMess

Liked Posts:
Until we have at least two very good drafts, and unbelievable free agency periods-it will not matter who is under center. This is not a winning team. Not even remotely close-injuries or not.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Why the fk is Ted fkn Phillips still employed by the Bears?

Jesus, this franchise is going to be a shits show till the family that loses together sells it.

Can someone please buy the team and save us from this idiocy.

I actually forgot they had a game tonight....im watching the Cubs (woot) bash the Dullwhores heads in and see it on my trending list.....

How can anyone care at this point?

Wake me up when it is draft time, so I can watch us take another person who will never be an impact player at an important position highly.

FKN TED PHILLIPS? Really?

This is what we deserve from these good for nothing McCaskeys?

SELLTHE FKN TEAM!!!!! Meanwhile, the mooks on here are debating Cutler or Hoyer....

CUTLER OR HOYER??? ARE YOU FKN FOR REAL?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
Why is this idiot telling Ian fucking Rapaport anything?

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
69d04ed6-1c7e-43bf-82e0-441401813408.jpg

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm going to assume Phillips is now assisting the medical staff with all the wounded around the facility. Lacing up walking boots, plastering up casts, that sort of thing.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
I'm going to assume Phillips is now assisting the medical staff with all the wounded around the facility. Lacing up walking boots, plastering up casts, that sort of thing.

Taking Virginia to her weekly brunch at some overpriced Gold coast establishment....

Charming her, kissing ass, regaling her with stories from the Beta Theta Pi days at ND with those other parochial school valedictorians she probably pined over in her youth....

Here is what you guys need to understand about these people; I know them, i've worked with/for this type for awhile now....

These people don't give a Fk about winning; they don't give 2 shts about us fans, and the DEFINITELY don't care about creating a culture of merit in the organization.

They literally care more about the performance of some great nephew in a regatta off Cape Cod than they do our suffering.

So that's fine, and maybe that would be me if I was born a multimillionaire. But please, for the love of God, SELL THE FKN TEAM TO SOMEONE WITH DEEP POCKETS AND PASSION ABOUT GETTING US RINGS.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Taking Virginia to her weekly brunch at some overpriced Gold coast establishment....

Charming her, kissing ass, regaling her with stories from the Beta Theta Pi days at ND with those other parochial school valedictorians she probably pined over in her youth....

Here is what you guys need to understand about these people; I know them, i've worked with/for this type for awhile now....

These people don't give a Fk about winning; they don't give 2 shts about us fans, and the DEFINITELY don't care about creating a culture of merit in the organization.

They literally care more about the performance of some great nephew in a regatta off Cape Cod than they do our suffering.

So that's fine, and maybe that would be me if I was born a multimillionaire. But please, for the love of God, SELL THE FKN TEAM TO SOMEONE WITH DEEP POCKETS AND PASSION ABOUT GETTING US RINGS.
Some of you guys...:lmao:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Joniak asked Phillips with the growing success of the Cubs and Blackhawks what the Bears are doing to keep everyone engaged with their brand during a period when they are trying to get things going in the right direction?

“When we talk about appealing to sponsors, we never talk about wins and losses,” Phillips said. “A lot of the sales pitches that get done, they don’t talk about wins and losses. They talk about what the Bears mean to the city, the loyal fan base, the crossover of fans who are Bears fans and also fans of the other sports teams and I think for the most part we have had a lot of success doing that because people understand the power of the Bears brand and what it means to the city of Chicago, what it means to the NFL, what it means to their own brand. We’re pretty proud of that that you can kind of sustain strong business relationships without worrying about wins and losses. Obviously, when you win it’s better.”

Winning!

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is what he said:

"Ted Phillips told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport that it was too early to rule out Jay Cutler's return as the starting quarterback."

Thats all. Thats literally the only comment. There is nothing about that statement that is football operations. All he really said is that he doesn't know what is going to happen. Thats it. Maybe relax, idk.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm sorry but I don't want to hear anything about the team on the field from Phillips. He needs to stop meddling. Pace and Fox are the only people we should hear this news from now. Maybe I'm an overreacting attention whore but it rubs me wrong when we hear from him instead of Pace.

Monster O

Liked Posts:
I think Pace is totally content with us not winning another game. If the rumors are true that he wants to move on from Fox and Pace then a top 3 pick will be enticing to a new coach.