If we allow Fox his "QB"

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lets say we allow Fox to have a top QB. We invest a high pick, but the problems on this team are partly Fox.

That means the next regime may or may not like our QB at all. They might want a different skill set that matches their system, or "their" guy from the past.

Garrett is more of a sure thing to serve the Bears future for any regime. We can't get QB right until we get OC right.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Loser's mentality.

At this point, Fox is a defensive guy. And if whatever QB we get is franchise level, he will be able to play under any OC.

When you potentially get this close to a #1 overall pick as the Bears are likely to do, you do one of two things:

1) If you determine that the QB you like is this year, you stick with it and grab him.
2) If you determine that the QB you like is in next year's draft, you try to get a trade with another team in the top 5 to move up for a 1st round swap and their next year's 1st round pick, so that you will have 2 picks to use to move up to the top 5 in next year's draft, else if you suck again, will have 2 picks in the top 5/10.

If, for some reason, you end up not liking a QB this year OR next year, then chances are your scouting department sucks and you should be fired.

The time for a QB is now, and the above are the only 2 options that make sense.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Loser's mentality.

At this point, Fox is a defensive guy. And if whatever QB we get is franchise level, he will be able to play under any OC.

When you potentially get this close to a #1 overall pick as the Bears are likely to do, you do one of two things:

1) If you determine that the QB you like is this year, you stick with it and grab him.
2) If you determine that the QB you like is in next year's draft, you try to get a trade with another team in the top 5 to move up for a 1st round swap and their next year's 1st round pick, so that you will have 2 picks to use to move up to the top 5 in next year's draft, else if you suck again, will have 2 picks in the top 5/10.

If, for some reason, you end up not liking a QB this year OR next year, then chances are your scouting department sucks and you should be fired.

alot of guys can come from that top of the second round spot though. After about pick 11 most of the teams have a QB and needs, so the 33rd pick is much like the 12th pick in terms of selecting a QB.

I agree, If somebody is worth taking top 5 this is our chance. Good stuff, but every situation is different and no hard rules should be fired. Each draft is its own rubics cube.

Bearman 43

Liked Posts:
Loser's mentality.

Maybe,but thry could also go w/option 3 and do a wait and see on Conner Shaw to see if he was a flash in the pan or the real deal!!!!!!

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
alot of guys can come from that top of the second round spot though. After about pick 11 most of the teams have a QB and needs, so the 33rd pick is much like the 12th pick in terms of selecting a QB.

I agree, If somebody is worth taking top 5 this is our chance. Good stuff, but every situation is different and no hard rules should be fired. Each draft is its own rubics cube.

There was a study not that long ago that finding a franchise QB is something that the longer you wait, the greater the odds drop. Guys like Wilson and Brady are outliers - frankly a combination of scouting and just plain dumb luck/right fit. And while what I said seems obvious on the surface, the point was that if you want a real game changing QB, your best bet is in the top 3-5 picks in round 1, depending on the depth at QB in that draft class.

You can't count on that. And as I said, if you pass up a top 3 QB talent for the sake of drafting someone you view as "safer", and then trying to get a QB who is going to be less talented in round 2, its traditionally a losing mentality.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Are derek carr and dak prescott also outliers?

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
Don't care about any of these QB's except Kizer, and potentially Falk and Trubisky if we somehow end up picking outside of the Top 5. If it's between Garrett and Watson Garrett should be the pick and I'm okay with Davis Webb in the 2nd.

Dogstar

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
  2. Wisconsin Badgers
The quotes in the title should have been around "his"... wtf rask

Yes, but after watching the last thirty or so years of what the Bears call a "QB", it's a perfectly understandable mistake.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Don't care about any of these QB's except Kizer, and potentially Falk and Trubisky if we somehow end up picking outside of the Top 5. If it's between Garrett and Watson Garrett should be the pick and I'm okay with Davis Webb in the 2nd.

I'd be fine with Garrett and Webb.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Get Rex back for 2 years and draft the best 2 QBs available.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Draft a talented QB.

New regimes like talented QBs.

But we should also fire Fox so that there is no risk of this or musical OCs.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd be fine with Garrett and Webb.

Seriously, a true rush OLB with fast twitch and football instincts. Plus a 6'6" QB with a strong arm and intelligence, leadership qualities. We could really move forward with those two pieces. That would be my choice as well.

Webb plays Oregon tonight if anybody wants to watch a double 40 burger with cheese game.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I just don't see how Fox is still here next year. How do you go from 6-10 to...... this, and maintain your job? How much clearer does it need to be than a total collapse to see that Fox isn't THE guy? He has to go after this season.

RisWell01

Liked Posts:
Pace might want his QB if we had the top pick. Fox probably will prefer Garrett or Peppers.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk