Schwarbie back for World Series?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
There's a lot of talk nationally how this would be a crazy move if it happens because of the roster move implications. Steve Philips on MLB radio this morning was saying that it would mean leaving Soler or Montero off the roster. That's wrong. Schwarber would likely take Rob Zastryzny's spot, which was previously held by Tommy La Stella in the NLDS. Zastryzny wasn't used at all and La Stella had 1 AB. As long as he's been cleared to play and his swing looks decent this is a very low risk play. Philips suggested Coghlan should be the DH and barring that then Soler. Would either guy be a clear advantage over Schwarber? I doubt it if only for Kyle being one more bat to game plan for. I hope it happens.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
There's a lot of talk nationally how this would be a crazy move if it happens because of the roster move implications. Steve Philips on MLB radio this morning was saying that it would mean leaving Soler or Montero off the roster. That's wrong. Schwarber would likely take Rob Zastryzny's spot, which was previously held by Tommy La Stella in the NLDS. Zastryzny wasn't used at all and La Stella had 1 AB. As long as he's been cleared to play and his swing looks decent this is a very low risk play. Philips suggested Coghlan should be the DH and barring that then Soler. Would either guy be a clear advantage over Schwarber? I doubt it if only for Kyle being one more bat to game plan for. I hope it happens.

I would say this is just the national media being its usual dumb, lazy self, but Mully & Hanley were on the same kick this morning, too. Although I can't say I'm surprised.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's truly astounding sometimes on how little the so-called national media experts know about the subject they cover on a daily basis.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
It's truly astounding sometimes on how little the so-called national media experts know about the subject they cover on a daily basis.

In the MLB radio case fortunately Todd Hollandsworth is able to challenge Steve Phillips lack of knowledge with his experience covering the team.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I wouldn't want Schwarber any where near LHP in the series as a DH based upon last season's splits, but Cleveland doesn't have two lefties up front.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't want Schwarber any where near LHP in the series as a DH.

Absolutely not but Cleveland's starters are righty heavy with only Merrit being a LH possibility to start. I think it's low risk enough to try it as he would be likely taking a roster spot that has had a total of 1 appearance through 2 series and that being one AB by La Stella.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In the MLB radio case fortunately Todd Hollandsworth is able to challenge Steve Phillips lack of knowledge with his experience covering the team.

It's not like Spring Training, there's only two teams left. How tough would it be to investigate what's going on before flapping your jaw? That's just Phillips being lazy.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
It's not like Spring Training, there's only two teams left. How tough would it be to investigate what's going on before flapping your jaw? That's just Phillips being lazy.

Well he's been making goat noises every time they talk about the Cubs for 2 weeks so at this point I'm just ready to punch the guy. He's really trolling combined with laziness.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wouldn't want Schwarber any where near LHP in the series as a DH based upon last season's splits, but Cleveland doesn't have two lefties up front.

I get what you're saying but really...how much worse could he be than Heyward, Coghlan, LaStella, Almora, Soler or Montero? None of them have shown much so far. The only exception might be Contreras when Ross is catching Lester.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
What if needs to slide? You want a guy 6 months from surgery sliding?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Whens the last time David Ortiz slid? Just sayin'

Exactly. Adding Schwarber is relatively low risk, could provide some protection for Baez (I'm guessing he would hit 6th), and gives Francona something else to worry about. It's not like Coghlan or Soler offers a much better DH choice.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Baseball players slide all the time cause it's part of baseball

And DH's barely even run because that's why they are DH's. If you put Soler in there instead of Schwarber he's not going to sliding hard into second to break up a double play either.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Do you understand what the words "medically cleared" mean?
Which is why the refused to let him play the field the other night cause they were still concerned about his knee, dumb shit

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
And DH's barely even run because that's why they are DH's. If you put Soler in there instead of Schwarber he's not going to sliding hard into second to break up a double play either.
Sliding is the issue. Doesnt make a difference if it's hard, soft, medium or extra crispy sliding.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Which is why the refused to let him play the field the other night cause they were still concerned about his knee, dumb shit

And of course, this forum's most irredeemably stupid poster retorts by hypothetically putting Schwarber in a position that he will not be in as a DH or PH. They are not going to tell him to do something that he is not medically cleared to do.

"Cubs have morphed into one of the worst teams in baseball. Not a chance in hell they would win a single playoff game."

Delete your account.