My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Maybe but 2 reasons why they should:

1. Jake was next up. It would be his turn.
2. You need to win 4. You have 3 guys pitching 2 games. Of those 6 games 4 of them you need to win. Of your 3 guys 2 are dependable. So it makes more sense to match up your worst to their best and hope for a win and line up your best 2 to their 2-3.

That is the way I would do it. Jake could just toss a no hitter and it becomes justified.

That's not what you do, at all.

Not what I would have done. But Joe marches to his own beat.

We wouldn't have made the World Series with things you would have done.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That's not what you do, at all.

We wouldn't have made the World Series with things you would have done.

Ya you do. If you are going Lester vs Kluber for 2. You sit on a 50-50% win loss chance. They have the better pen so you lose the edge.
What is it Bauer vs Kyle. You expect to win both. So if Kluber wins his 2 and Kyle wins his 2 that leaves 3 games in the hands of Jake and John to decide the series. John might end up vs Salazar. Not favorable. That forces Jake to win 2.

I don't know about you but that doesn't sit well.

If they give up 2 wins to Kluber and waste Jake. That leaves Lester and Kyle at a pitching advantage. They don't need John to win his start. Just saying.

Ask yourself: Do you feel like Jon beats Cory twice? I can see both as low scoring games which puts the pen in the spot light. Their pen is better. No one will argue that point. So that means if they split their games then Jake or John is forced to win a game. Neither has looked good thus far.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Ya you do. If you are going Lester vs Kluber for 2. You sit on a 50-50% win loss chance. They have the better pen so you lose the edge.
What is it Bauer vs Kyle. You expect to win both. So if Kluber wins his 2 and Kyle wins his 2 that leaves 3 games in the hands of Jake and John to decide the series. John might end up vs Salazar. Not favorable. That forces Jake to win 2.

I don't know about you but that doesn't sit well.

If they give up 2 wins to Kluber and waste Jake. That leaves Lester and Kyle at a pitching advantage. They don't need John to win his start. Just saying.

Ask yourself: Do you feel like Jon beats Cory twice? I can see both as low scoring games which puts the pen in the spot light. Their pen is better. No one will argue that point. So that means if they split their games then Jake or John is forced to win a game. Neither has looked good thus far.

I don't need Jon to beat Kluber twice, I need him to win one of the two games. If Kluber only goes 1-1, that means they have to go 3-2 in the other five games to beat you. The difference between them having to go 3-2 to beat you v 2-3 to beat you is huge when you look at the other matchups. By your own admission, you say that you're HOPING to make it a best 2 out of 3 instead of 3 out of 5.

Don't forget, the Cubs are the better TEAM so they shouldn't do anything different than they've done over the past 175 games.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Never read so many morons in my life with their ideas of pitching rotations.

Who's the best pitcher and rested?

Jon Lester

He pitches game 1

Who's rested and available to pitch game 2?

Lackey and Arrieta

Who's better ?

Jake Arrieta....he gets the start

Who's rested and available for game 3?

Lackey and Hendricks

Who's better?

Hendricks...he gets the start

Who's left and available for game 4?

Lackey

Its really that fking simple and you dipshits arguing otherwise are either 12 years old, drunk or have no idea about pitching and/or rotations.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Never read so many morons in my life with their ideas of pitching rotations.

Who's the best pitcher and rested?

Jon Lester

He pitches game 1

Who's rested and available to pitch game 2?

Lackey and Arrieta

Who's better ?

Jake Arrieta....he gets the start

Who's rested and available for game 3?

Lackey and Hendricks

Who's better?

Hendricks...he gets the start

Who's left and available for game 4?

Lackey

Its really that fking simple and you dipshits arguing otherwise are either 12 years old, drunk or have no idea about pitching and/or rotations.

What you are leaving out, is Francona knows Lester better than anyone and he is going to run. Any speed, the guy at first will be at third. I would not be surprised seeing someone leave when Lester is looking at him and not make the throw to second. These two are two of the best friends in baseball, but remember what Greg MAddux did to Rich Hill? Took him almost a decade to come back from that. The tone that can be set from game 1 is scary.

All the cubs need to do is split the first two. I have no problem with Hendricks pitching game 7, but if there is a game 7, he is going a few innings and Arrieta and Lester will follow. This is pretty much why my dumb ass says activate Hammel and give him game 5 to set up Lester and Jake for 6 and 7. Will they trust Carl Edwards Jr to remain healthy?

All year the cubs have stuck with the rotation and its Jakes turn. Yes, move Lester to game 2, but its Jakes turn now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Greg, that's all well and good until Hendricks is on the mound of a G7 in Cleveland. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with thiat.

Kyle is the best starter. Jon got the award because he didn't have to match up against Kershaw.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
What you are leaving out, is Francona knows Lester better than anyone and he is going to run. Any speed, the guy at first will be at third. I would not be surprised seeing someone leave when Lester is looking at him and not make the throw to second. These two are two of the best friends in baseball, but remember what Greg MAddux did to Rich Hill? Took him almost a decade to come back from that. The tone that can be set from game 1 is scary.

All the cubs need to do is split the first two. I have no problem with Hendricks pitching game 7, but if there is a game 7, he is going a few innings and Arrieta and Lester will follow. This is pretty much why my dumb ass says activate Hammel and give him game 5 to set up Lester and Jake for 6 and 7. Will they trust Carl Edwards Jr to remain healthy?

All year the cubs have stuck with the rotation and its Jakes turn. Yes, move Lester to game 2, but its Jakes turn now.
Arrieta and Lester aren't following Hendricks in Game 7. The Cubs have relievers for that.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
That was a Game 6 of the NLCS in Wrigley Field in a no pressure situation given that the Cubs were up 3-2. You think that's the same thing as a winner take all G7 of the World Series on the road? Please explain how those situations are even remotely similar.

Game 6 was the single most important Cubs game in seven decades and Kyle Hendricks had to be better than the best pitcher on the planet with an entire city and national media audience watching him, and he exceeded all reasonable expectations. That you've dismissed this as a "no pressure situation" is not only wildly inaccurate, it is--in a strong field--one of the most bizarrely unhinged baseball thoughts I've ever read on this forum.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That was a Game 6 of the NLCS in Wrigley Field in a no pressure situation given that the Cubs were up 3-2. You think that's the same thing as a winner take all G7 of the World Series on the road? Please explain how those situations are even remotely similar.

What tree are these people falling out of?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Game 6 was the single most important Cubs game in seven decades and Kyle Hendricks had to be better than the best pitcher on the planet with an entire city and national media audience watching him, and he exceeded all reasonable expectations. That you've dismissed this as a "no pressure situation" is not only wildly inaccurate, it is--in a strong field--one of the most bizarrely unhinged baseball thoughts I've ever read on this forum.

Quoted for, you know, truth and stuff. Wow. I guess we should expect even more bad baseball thoughts than we got in the NLCS huh? Game six of the NLCS in a situation the team had NEVER SUCCEEDED AT BEFORE was no pressure? Yikes.

facepalm.jpg

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ya, no one wanted to see Jake vs Rich part 2. Jake looked just bad and Rich looked like the 2.12 ERA pitch he has been all season. Kyle matched Clayton in their first game. All he gave up was a HR to Gonzo. Not much else.

So yes they were treating that game as game 7. If they lost the odds were in the Dodgers favor.

If you look just at the Dodger's series ERA's

Hendricks: .71
Lester: 1.38
Arrieta: 7.20
Lackey: 4.50

It is really not even close here. And if it wasn't about the short rest Kyle would be pitching game 2.

IMO Jake needs to step up in this series. He keeps this up they may end up trading him out this off season.