*If Necessary

Pitching Matchup
CHC
John Lester
CLE
Corey Kluber

CvorYqBUAAAcTcf.jpg

World Series Factoids
-This is the Cubs first trip to the World Series since October 1945. The series is most known for being the origins of the Billy Goat Curse. The series itself was played at the very end of World War II and most of the majors' better players were still in active military service. Many sports writers at the time dubbed this series "World's Worst Series" due to its general lack of talent.

-The Cubs would lose the 1945 World Series in 7 games. The format then was 3-4. Four games were played at Wrigley, in which the Cubs lost 3 of them. October 8th, 1945 (game 6) would be the last game the Cubs would win at Wrigley in the World Series. The Cubs won 8-7 in extra innings to force a game 7. It is 1 of only 2 games the Cubs have ever won in Wrigley Field. At this point in time, the Cubs had already gone 37 years without winning a title.

-The last time the Cubs were in the world series:
o) There was no NBA (Founded in 1947)
o) The NFL had 10 teams, there was no Super Bowl.
o) The NHL only had 6 teams (The Original Six)
o) MLB had 16 teams, there was no playoffs. Pennant winners were decided by who finished in the top of the standings in the AL and NL.

-Dexter Fowler will be the first African American Cubs player to play in the World Series (as he will be the first at the plate); the Cubs last appearance in 1945 was two years before Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in 1947.

-The Cubs are Indians combine for 174 years in droughts without winning a World Series. The Indians last appearance was in 1997. The Indians other appearances since their last win are 1995 and 1954. The Cubs meanwhile have 1945, 1935, 1932, 1929, 1918, and 1910.

[video=youtube_share;cJEAggf9fl8]http://youtu.be/cJEAggf9fl8[/video]

Last edited:

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Man, I'm fucking pumped. Cubs aren't doing too bad for a team that had morphed into one of the worst in baseball.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love the Cleveland Indians, but I think they don't stand a chance in this series.
Cubs win game 1, lose game 2, win 3-5.

Cubs win the series, 4 games to 1.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Congratulations Cubs Fans. Out of respect I'll be leaving you all alone for the Series.

I'm happy for the City right now. A little positivity with this election cycle and the violence in Chicago is great. Sports bring people together and this is a great and exciting team. I mean....doesn't matter who I am a fan of, I would much rather WATCH a collection of talent like the Cubs have than sit through our Sox right now. I'd rather apreciate how Maddon manages than pull my hair out to Ventura.
I can't remember a team this good this young in baseball. Anyone have some history perspective on that? Granted the pitching staff, Zobrist, and Montero, Ross all pull the average up. But who doens't love Ross? And Zobrist for that matter just as fans of baseball grit?

So its one of those things. I love these Cubs as an appreciator of baseball. Of course.

And I think the Indians starting pitching is broken and this is going to be a runaway series. Beat Kluber once and they are finished. Salazar/Bauer can't start and they are finished.

That all said, if somehow the Indians won, by running the bases, hitting, bullpen, and Kluber taking two. I can't say I wouldn't relish in the Cubs pain as well, which would be truly an exquisite and acute variety city wide. Don't kill yourselves, remember that next year is actually real now. Its coming, just a matter of when.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Wow..
I never knew this thread existed for the Cubs. ..
???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
And I think the Indians starting pitching is broken and this is going to be a runaway series. Beat Kluber once and they are finished. Salazar/Bauer can't start and they are finished.

I just heard it reported that Salazar is being tentatively penciled in as the game 4 starter and Bauer looks like he's starting game 2. We'll all see how that works for them.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I just heard it reported that Salazar is being tentatively penciled in as the game 4 starter and Bauer looks like he's starting game 2. We'll all see how that works for them.

Wow Salazar is starting Game 4? Heard he did a simulation game the other day and felt great. Huge boost for Cleveland, if true.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
What I heard was that it was tentative and they'll watch him with that game in mind.
Yea.. Heard Francona just looking to get 4 or 5 innings from his starters at worse, then turn it over to the pen.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Wow Salazar is starting Game 4? Heard he did a simulation game the other day and felt great. Huge boost for Cleveland, if true.
Not sure a guy that hasnt pitched in 5 weeks coming off and injury is a good thing

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Not sure a guy that hasnt pitched in 5 weeks coming off and injury is a good thing

I would normally agree but when the adrenaline of playing in the WS kicks in -- he'll have good stuff. Regardless, I still us winning the series 4-2.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Francona whole strategy the whole post season has been get it to the bullpen by 5. Where his strategy is going to hit a bump is in the NL where his pitchers will have to bat. ITs extremely important for the Cubs to get leads early. It will be very hard for Cleveland to win if we jump on them early.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Yea.. Heard Francona just looking to get 4 or 5 innings from his starters at worse, then turn it over to the pen.

I know they have a great pen and Miller is not hittable -- but in a seven game series, I would think to win your starters will need to go deeper than 4 or 5. We're a great team and the Tribe are not sweeping us. I just can't see the pen taking over in the 4th and 5th every night as being a recipe for victory.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I know they have a great pen and Miller is not hittable -- but in a seven game series, I would think to win your starters will need to go deeper than 4 or 5. We're a great team and the Tribe are not sweeping us. I just can't see the pen taking over in the 4th and 5th every night as being a recipe for victory.
Well.. that his plan
Cubs hitters need to score early , build a good lead and make Miller useless in series