*If Necessary

Pitching Matchup
CHC
Jake Arrieta
CLE
Trevor Bauer

CvtoWkJUEAAWdpt.jpg

World Series Factoids
-This is the Cubs first trip to the World Series since October 1945. The series is most known for being the origins of the Billy Goat Curse. The series itself was played at the very end of World War II and most of the majors' better players were still in active military service. Many sports writers at the time dubbed this series "World's Worst Series" due to its general lack of talent.

-The Cubs would lose the 1945 World Series in 7 games. The format then was 3-4. Four games were played at Wrigley, in which the Cubs lost 3 of them. October 8th, 1945 (game 6) would be the last game the Cubs would win at Wrigley in the World Series. The Cubs won 8-7 in extra innings to force a game 7. It is 1 of only 2 games the Cubs have ever won in Wrigley Field. At this point in time, the Cubs had already gone 37 years without winning a title.

-The last time the Cubs were in the world series:
o) There was no NBA (Founded in 1947)
o) The NFL had 10 teams, there was no Super Bowl.
o) The NHL only had 6 teams (The Original Six)
o) MLB had 16 teams, there was no playoffs. Pennant winners were decided by who finished in the top of the standings in the AL and NL.

-Dexter Fowler will be the first African American Cubs player to play in the World Series (as he will be the first at the plate); the Cubs last appearance in 1945 was two years before Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in 1947.

-The Cubs are Indians combine for 174 years in droughts without winning a World Series. The Indians last appearance was in 1997. The Indians other appearances since their last win are 1995 and 1954. The Cubs meanwhile have 1945, 1935, 1932, 1929, 1918, and 1910.

[video=youtube_share;cJEAggf9fl8]http://youtu.be/cJEAggf9fl8[/video]

Last edited:

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Really hope the weather does not play a factor in this game. Having a suspended game followed by a comeback win tomorrow would really cast a pall over the outcome of the series.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Jake really needs to show up tonight

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Let's say the Cubs are 40% likely to win any Kluber start

If the Cubs go 4-0 in games not stated by Kluber: 100% series win probability
Cubs win exactly 3 games not stated by Kluber: 40% win in five or six, 24% win in seven
Cubs go 2-2 in games not stated by Kluber: 16% win in seven
Cubs lose at least three games not started by Kluber: 0% win probability

Cubs still don't have to beat Kluber to win the series with a win tonight.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
It's looking like they might not get this game in at all tonight. They could have easily gotten a day game in but I guess that would have meant a huge financial loss.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I expect this to be a bullpen game. Bauer has a 6.94 ERA his last 7 starts. Jake's last outing was pretty disturbing in its own right. I doubt either starter makes it past 5 innings. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bauer get knocked out after 3 innings and Jake after 4.

I feel good about tonight. I think Maddon will replace Cogs and get Contreras into the lineup. I think having both Contreras and Schwarber in the lineup poses a very serious problem for the struggling Bauer. And our guys got an awfully good look at Miller last night -- who, quite frankly, looked more hittable than Jansen did.

I think Cubs win, 9-6.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
It's looking like they might not get this game in at all tonight. They could have easily gotten a day game in but I guess that would have meant a huge financial loss.

So would they move it tomorrow and play 4 games in a row? I really want to face Bauer. If we miss Bauer because of this, it'll hurt.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
So would they move it tomorrow and play 4 games in a row? I really want to face Bauer. If we miss Bauer because of this, it'll hurt.

I don't know but I would assume Bauer would start regardless. They were talking about it on MLB radio and they thought everything would be pushed back including the travel day. That would mean Kluber on regular rest for game 4 if it's sunday instead of Saturday. Seems crazy though.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
As of an hour ago, 19% chance of rain at the start of the game with it rising to 32% over the next three hours.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I don't know but I would assume Bauer would start regardless. They were talking about it on MLB radio and they thought everything would be pushed back including the travel day. That would mean Kluber on regular rest for game 4 if it's sunday instead of Saturday. Seems crazy though.

Pushing everything back would blow holes in too many travel schedules, I would think. And honestly, how necessary is a travel day when you're going from Cleveland to Chicago?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am hoping that the bats get going tonight. I really hope they do not have to sit through an extended pathetic offense streak like they did against the Dodgers.

Last night was a little disheartening and a bit of a buzz kill.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
As of an hour ago, 19% chance of rain at the start of the game with it rising to 32% over the next three hours.

Right now it's 5% chance at 7:00 EDT but 35% at 8:00 and 55% at 9:00. It's going to be interesting, and yeah I can't imagine they would try to build in a travel day and disrupt the whole thing when it's a 45 minute plane ride. That's what the chatterboxes were speculating though.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I am hoping that the bats get going tonight. I really hope they do not have to sit through an extended pathetic offense streak like they did against the Dodgers.

Last night was a little disheartening and a bit of a buzz kill.

Except they didn't look like that last night at all. Fowler and Russell were the only two guys who had consistently bad AB and Schwarber, Baez, Ross, Rizzo, Contreras and Bryant looked good at the plate even if they didn't capitalize. Before game 4 of the CS the bats looked dormant and lost.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Let's not leave runners stranded this game eh? Take advantage of not Kluber

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
No shit. Leaving the bases loaded what 3 times last night with no runs. Not good.

I wouldn't worry too much. The Cubs are not going to go 1-11 RISP the rest of the series, even when Kluber is back on the mound. I also think the early game strike zone was in their minds the rest of the night, and hurt their approaches when they otherwise would've had the advantage.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Could Jesus Christ hit a curveball?

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't worry too much. The Cubs are not going to go 1-11 RISP the rest of the series, even when Kluber is back on the mound. I also think the early game strike zone was in their minds the rest of the night, and hurt their approaches when they otherwise would've had the advantage.

Hollandsworth was on ESPN1000 today and he said he's certain the next time we face Kluber, we'll do better.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think we all saw last night how a home plate umpire can influence a game...his huge strike zone for Kluber for at least 3 or 4 innings had Cub hitters wondering what is or isn't a strike. Conversely, Lester was not given the same large zone...I doubt Vanover was doing this purposely but the different stances he took between right handed and left handed pitchers probably was the culprit. Regardless of how this happened...it did happen and it was on MLB's biggest stage which makes it unforgivable.