Post Your Cooking/Food Tips Here

AussieBear

http://www.history.com/topics/maya
"From the late eighth through the end of the ninth century, something unknown happened to shake the Maya civilization to its foundations. One by one, the Classic cities in the southern lowlands were abandoned, and by A.D. 900, Maya civilization in that region had collapsed. The reason for this mysterious decline is unknown, though scholars have developed several competing theories."

75963997.jpg

rats getting into the stored beans spreading disease.. aussie solves it.. mayans now thinks beans are a cursed.. no way its going in chili anymore.. solved two mysteries..

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Chile should have Beef or pork, Hatch Green Chile and potatoes.

Chili.... Put whatever the fuck you want in that shit.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chili has become an Americanized, regional dish. A lot of people will tell you that "authentic" chili does not have beans. Is turkey or chicken "chili" really chili? What about "white chili"? Cincinnati chili is basically boiled ground beef with spices (incl. cinnamon) and adds pasta, shredded cheese, onions, etc... I'm not sure there could ever be a consensus.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Chili has become an Americanized, regional dish. A lot of people will tell you that "authentic" chili does not have beans. Is turkey or chicken "chili" really chili? What about "white chili"? Cincinnati chili is basically boiled ground beef with spices (incl. cinnamon) and adds pasta, shredded cheese, onions, etc... I'm not sure there could ever be a consensus.

Honestly you could make this argument about almost any food dish.

Is it really grilled cheese if it has ingredients other than cheese? What if you don't use the type of cheese I like?

Is it really a hamburger if the meat has breadcrumbs in it? What if you use a type of ground meat I don't agree with?

Is it really Pizza if it isn't round /w tomato sauce? What if you use no cheese on said "pizza"?

If you really get hung up on people twisting/changing a dish you like, and you must argue people to death about the name they call some food they make, you have way too much time on your hands.

You can walk up to me with a bowl of milk and call it a Philly Cheesesteak... by all means, enjoy your version of a Philly Cheesesteak.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Is it really grilled cheese if it has ingredients other than cheese? What if you don't use the type of cheese I like?

Is it really a hamburger if the meat has breadcrumbs in it? What if you use a type of ground meat I don't agree with?

Is it really Pizza if it isn't round /w tomato sauce? What if you use no cheese on said "pizza"?

If you really get hung up on people twisting/changing a dish you like, and you must argue people to death about the name they call some food they make, you have way too much time on your hands.

You can walk up to me with a bowl of milk and call it a Philly Cheesesteak... by all means, enjoy your version of a Philly Cheesesteak.

I'm honestly not sure from your post if you agree with me or not though the Philly cheesesteak is a bit silly. There are people, call them sentimental, traditional, pedantic, whatever who do give a shit about such things. I do not. But for some people really into food, cooking, dining, call it what you like, original recipes do in fact matter. I do like to cook and eat and drink but if someone wants to put beans in their chili or a pinch of sugar in their tomato sauce/Sunday gravy or cheese on their Italian beef I personally don't care.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm honestly not sure from your post if you agree with me or not though the Philly cheesesteak is a bit silly. There are people, call them sentimental, traditional, pedantic, whatever who do give a shit about such things. I do not. But for some people really into food, cooking, dining, call it what you like, original recipes do in fact matter. I do like to cook and eat and drink but if someone wants to put beans in their chili or a pinch of sugar in their tomato sauce/Sunday gravy or cheese on their Italian beef I personally don't care.

I agree on you saying you won't get consensus and I kinda expanded upon that.

But my main point is that I don't understand why people argue so hard on minor or major differences in how other people make/consume a dish of food.

Under ordinary circumstances you have a person making food that they name as something and another person finding a minor difference and blowing up about how the difference means that food isn't w/e the first person called it.

As long as that person does not require you to change your definition of said food item, why argue them to death over whether adding beans means it isn't chili?

You are 100% entitled to your opinion in my mind, so is the other person you disagree with, and at the end as you said, there is little chance of coming to any unified consensus on many of these things.... so why bother arguing it?

I mean it is food.... if it was a big social issue or economic issue.... how you label a social or economic system and what that means, those things can be very important and worthy of debate/consensus.

Food is not to me lol

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Mod's, could we get this last page moved into the Freedom of Food Culinary Liberty sub-forum?

Shit got serious.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

:lmao:

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Wife made Cowboy lasagna, was really good. Although she did go a tad to much on the garlic.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm not a fan of to much garlic. Wife went overboard, so the garlic over powered the taste imo. Other than that really good. Give it a try

Bigfoot is a godamned vampire, I knew it.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I made some Farro soup last night with beef broth and veggies. Tasty...

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
We did a corned beef and cabbage for the 1st time on Saturday, just followed a basic recipe off the internet.

Does anyone have a good recipe for this as I really liked our result but am curios if one of you from that part of the country have the really good stuffs.

Did it in a crock pot, potatoes carrots and CB with almost a bottle of light beer and quite a bit of water (Per the recipe.) 3 hours later put in some carrots. 3 hours later put in the cabbage. there was a season packet with the thing so we just used that. Like I said it came out decent I am enjoying the leftovers for lunch this week.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I'm not a fan of to much garlic. Wife went overboard, so the garlic over powered the taste imo. Other than that really good. Give it a try

Last Thanksgiving my project was my famous roasted garlic cheddar mashed potatoes. While I was dumping in the roasted garlic/melted butter mixture I actually said 'is there any such thing as too much garlic?', yes there is. I've made this literally 100 times, this was the first time it wasn't amazing. I disappointed loved ones that day so in that sense it was just like any another day, but the difference is they had expectations, and I let 'em down like a blown #3 overall.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
I've been working on getting back into decent shape and am trying to increase my veg intake. Broccoli has always been my favorite and I've always just eaten it raw or steamed but someone recommended roasting it and holy shit, I'll never eat that shit steam again. It's dead simple too, I eyeball the seasonings (roughly teaspoon of salt and tablespoon of each of the rest) so go with whatever measurements you like.

1 Head Broccoli chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Red Pepper
Granulated garlic

Mix seasonings into the oil, then dump it all into a zip lock and shake the ever loving shit of it. Throw it on a baking sheet and shove it in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes and boom. Most delicious god damn thing ever.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oooo, I need a new way to make broccoli!
For the red pepper, you mean like cayenne? And do you think garlic powder would work instead of granulated? I ask because I have both.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Broccoli is good sautéed too. Just put the florets head down in some oil olive and garlic on medium heat for about 5 minutes, then salt, stir and cover on low for about 5 more minutes. The florets get a bit crispy and the stalks are cooked but crunchy. Can add parmesan, pepper, or garlic salt or whatever.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I've been working on getting back into decent shape and am trying to increase my veg intake. Broccoli has always been my favorite and I've always just eaten it raw or steamed but someone recommended roasting it and holy shit, I'll never eat that shit steam again. It's dead simple too, I eyeball the seasonings (roughly teaspoon of salt and tablespoon of each of the rest) so go with whatever measurements you like.

1 Head Broccoli chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Red Pepper
Granulated garlic

Mix seasonings into the oil, then dump it all into a zip lock and shake the ever loving shit of it. Throw it on a baking sheet and shove it in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes and boom. Most delicious god damn thing ever.

You can do the same thing with Cauliflower and it comes out amazing as well.