Maddening

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am pretty positive 99% of this board has never hit a baseball past 8th grade.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because of our ability not to hit. Some people were saying last night to give Tomlin credit. Blah! Hit was very hittable. Didn't matter who was pitching. Same old Cubs issues on offense.

And what expert credentials are you claiming to have that qualifies you to make such an analysis. Let me answer for you, none.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
And what expert credentials are you claiming to have that qualifies you to make such an analysis. Let me answer for you, none.
Lol Didn't know I needed to qualify for voicing my opinion.

Sent from my Samsung S6 Edge

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol Didn't know I needed to qualify for voicing my opinion.

Total bullshit you think you (just some schmo like most who post here me included) can sit home watching on tv and analyze the effectiveness of a major league pitcher in the world series. LOL

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Total bullshit you think you (just some schmo like most who post here me included) can sit home watching on tv and analyze the effectiveness of a major league pitcher in the world series. LOL
Why not? Most of us do it. So? It's part of being a fan.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Only points I agree with:

Francona is managing a NL style game. Bunt to move the guy to 2B. It puts pressure on the D.

Maddon is not giving up outs that way. But it opens up a 2x play with 2 outs and no one on.

My opinion is in a close game and you get a guy on you move him to 2B. Not wait for the big hit when it not happening.

Other point:

Soler was delaying to 1B then made it from 2-3B in that amount of time. If he was busting it from the start he would have been around 45 feet ahead. That means he would have been 1/2 way to the plate. Then it would have been up to the relay to the plate.

Never know if that would have been a huge play or a huge out.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Because of our ability not to hit. Some people were saying last night to give Tomlin credit. Blah! Hit was very hittable. Didn't matter who was pitching. Same old Cubs issues on offense.

They didn't get 5 shutouts against the cubs. Tomlin did not make mistakes last night. Stoltz mentioned this many times in the broadcast. He pitched above his talent level. The entire Indians staff was on point and hitting their spots. The Cubs take way too many first pitch strikes, honestly.

Some of you are really sleeping on Tomlin. He had a really bad stretch in August. He was hanging his breaking ball, and leaving pitches up in the zone. It was a trainwreck. Something like an 11+ ERA and a giving up 10+ HRs in 5 starts. Before that he had something like 10 or 11 wins with a 3.5ish ERA. And since his bad stretch in August, he's been even better. I want to say his ERA is in the 1s. So no, I don't think he pitched above his talent level yesterday. I think he IS that guy. We really needed him to pitch like that with the injuries to our #2/#3/#4 starters. Heh...

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some of you are really sleeping on Tomlin. He had a really bad stretch in August. He was hanging his breaking ball, and leaving pitches up in the zone. It was a trainwreck. Something like an 11+ ERA and a giving up 10+ HRs in 5 starts. Before that he had something like 10 or 11 wins with a 3.5ish ERA. And since his bad stretch in August, he's been even better. I want to say his ERA is in the 1s. So no, I don't think he pitched above his talent level yesterday. I think he IS that guy. We really needed him to pitch like that with the injuries to our #2/#3/#4 starters. Heh...

Nah...its just some voodoo karma shit when a guy like that takes the mound in what he descrsibed as the "most difficult circumstances to prepare" in his career. That can go either way, and it went the way of 2 hits through 5 innings, best game of his career. I mean his fucking paralyzed dad was in the stands after extreme hardship. You can't beat that guy on that day sometimes. They are in a magical place of focus and grit where they become impossible to rattle.

I think Cubs win today and win the series, but if Kluber takes this thing...then it just feels like destiny is against the Cubs in 2016.

Interesting lineup today. Baez sent to the 8 hole because he can't lay off anything right now. Heyward in for dumbass Soler.

Wind is blowing in hard at 15mph. Maybe that keeps Lackey alive. Bullpen day, need to hit Kluber hard in first.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Only points I agree with:

Francona is managing a NL style game. Bunt to move the guy to 2B. It puts pressure on the D.

Maddon is not giving up outs that way. But it opens up a 2x play with 2 outs and no one on.

My opinion is in a close game and you get a guy on you move him to 2B. Not wait for the big hit when it not happening.

Other point:

Soler was delaying to 1B then made it from 2-3B in that amount of time. If he was busting it from the start he would have been around 45 feet ahead. That means he would have been 1/2 way to the plate. Then it would have been up to the relay to the plate.

Never know if that would have been a huge play or a huge out.

Except that Kipnis already had the ball before soler was at 3rd....him hustling immediately gets him more distance but assuming hes a third or halfway home Kipnis is 120 feet from the plate and soler is dead meat by 10-15 feet.....and I doubt he's even sent home by the 3b coach

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Except that Kipnis already had the ball before soler was at 3rd....him hustling immediately gets him more distance but assuming hes a third or halfway home Kipnis is 120 feet from the plate and soler is dead meat by 10-15 feet.....and I doubt he's even sent home by the 3b coach

Not saying he would have made it or not.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Seemed like he was pitching to the same location most of the night. Down and away. He was good at desguising his fastball from his curve and cutter. He was pretty equal on all 3's useage. So it became a guessing game if it stayed, veered or dove.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I believe the mistake is Joe should have stacked the line up left vs the 3 righties and loaded RH on the bench to go after Andrew. LaStella should be at 2B with Baez in PH duty. Cog's is pretty much a roster waste with Zo and Heyward. But to counter this they could put Cog in LF and Zo at 2B.

Baez was really good vs lefties. His next progression really has to be his approach vs righties. But the series is not that place.

That said, having Contreras and Baez on the wings to attack Andrew should be a strat used.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I believe the mistake is Joe should have stacked the line up left vs the 3 righties and loaded RH on the bench to go after Andrew. LaStella should be at 2B with Baez in PH duty. Cog's is pretty much a roster waste with Zo and Heyward. But to counter this they could put Cog in LF and Zo at 2B.

Baez was really good vs lefties. His next progression really has to be his approach vs righties. But the series is not that place.

That said, having Contreras and Baez on the wings to attack Andrew should be a strat used.

A) La Stella isn't on the Roster.
B) Tomlin does better against lefties than righties.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Originally I thought this thread was frustration with the manager.