Baez as a full time player next year

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I really dont know what happened this year with Zobrist. When the all star rosters were announced, I felt Joe was trying to get Zobrist to an all star game. He moved around like we had expected more in the second half, but it was extremely odd Joe never put him at third or first. We paid 64 million to get the all around the diamond player, and Joe left him at second base while he tried to make a new all around the diamond player.

There are best moves for this team but the biggest hole this thumper lineup creates is a hole at leadoff. You almost figure Zobrist will be there next year, at 37, but then if he is not playing every day, who else does it? We know Schwarber will be in the 4 hole, even though two years ago he was the 2 hitter, but LRL will have some form of Schwarber, Bryant and Rizzo. No, leadoff is what makes me think Theo either does another deal with Fowler or gets another outfielder. There is still quality in the system with Jiminez and Happ, along with Torres, but now 6 out of our top 10 are pitchers.

Torres was traded for Chapman.

Happ made it up to AA last year and I expect him in Iowa. He is a phone call away next year. This is really not a huge issue with him right there. They can run Zo as a lead off early year and bring up Happ to ease him into the role as they did with Contreras this year.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
First, I'm guessing Soler gets moved for a minor lge. Pitcher

Then opening day starters

C. Contreras
1B. Rizzo
2B Baez
SS Russell
3B Bryant
LF Schwarber
RF Heyward
CF......

1 of 2 will happen..
Either Fowler resigns..
Or
They trade for or sign another

Almora will get some starts to see if he can take over at some point in 2017 and or be the guy for 2018..

Zobrist will return as the super utility guy, who will get most his starts in LF against most LHers

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
First, I'm guessing Soler gets moved for a minor lge. Pitcher

Then opening day starters

C. Contreras
1B. Rizzo
2B Baez
SS Russell
3B Bryant
LF Schwarber
RF Heyward
CF......

1 of 2 will happen..
Either Fowler resigns..
Or
They trade for or sign another

Almora will get some starts to see if he can take over at some point in 2017 and or be the guy for 2018..

Zobrist will return as the super utility guy, who will get most his starts in LF against most LHers

Heyward will be in CF in your scenario and Zobrist in RF on opening day.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Doubt it

They aren't going to take Zobrist's bat out of the lineup on Opening Day. You can doubt that all you want, but you would be wrong.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They aren't going to take Zobrist's bat out of the lineup on Opening Day. You can doubt that all you want, but you would be wrong.
Why not

What makes a 36 YO Zobrist so special that he should start over everyone else on opening day..

Say they resign Fowler, where does Zobrist play on opening day

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Why not

What makes a 36 YO Zobrist so special that he should start over everyone else on opening day..

Say they resign Fowler, where does Zobrist play

Now you've even changed the scenario to which I replied in an attempt to be right.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Now you've even changed the scenario to which I replied in an attempt to be right.
Changed what scenario?
My original post was that they either resign Fowler or trade or sign another with Almora getting some starts

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Taco and I as young men

CwJdy0hXYAAz2zE.jpg

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Changed what scenario?
My original post was that they either resign Fowler or trade or sign another with Almora getting some starts

They aren't going to sign another one. Without Fowler they were putting Heyward in CF last Spring. If he's gone, that's where Heyward starts. Almora hasn't shown enough to be a full-time player yet. He wouldn't get the start over Zobrist on Opening Day even as they have stated they want to get some more days off for Zobrist to keep him healthy. You aren't going to give him a rest day on Opening Day.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Parade...

My actual out of the box thinking for this off season is this if they don't win series..
In order to get younger arms

I think they might consider trading..
Zobrist
Soler
Arrieta
Lackey
Hammel or just buy him out for 2 mil..

And get younger arms for AA/AAA to come up later in 17 and or be ready for 18

Go with Lester and Hendricks, maybe keep Lackey

Point is.. I think they might unload some to get their Arms

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Why not

Say they resign Fowler, where does Zobrist play on opening day

Assuming health, and the overwhelming likelihood that Fowler gets a deal elsewhere, The opening day OF is going to be exactly what PR said. Zobrist RF, Heyward CF, Schwarber LF. Since Maddon is a fan of ever shifting lineups I would also assume that Zobrist will play LF on days against particular tough lefties and Almora will start some days in CF with Heyward in RF. I also expect that there will be another OF in the mix possibly a new player from outside the organization. The idea the Ben Zobrist will actually sit, on opening day, is absurd. Sorry.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Parade...

My actual out of the box thinking for this off season is this if they don't win series..
In order to get younger arms

I think they might consider trading..
Zobrist
Soler
Arrieta
Lackey
Hammel or just buy him out for 2 mil..

And get younger arms for AA/AAA to come up later in 17 and or be ready for 18

Go with Lester and Hendricks, maybe keep Lackey

Point is.. I think they might unload some to get their Arms

Zobrist has a full no trade until the last year of his deal so that's probably not going to happen. I do think Arrieta could be traded but they'll pick up Hammel's option and look to trade him as well. It would be foolish not to pick up an option on an undervalued pitcher. Hammel would probably get 2-3 years at something like $12-$13 mil AAV but with the Cubs exercising the option a team could have him for only 1 year at an under market price for the only cost being a mid level prospect. They'll have multiple takers and a deal in place before ST comes to a close. The Cubs would be crazy not to pick up that option and I don't think they're crazy.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They aren't going to sign another one. Without Fowler they were putting Heyward in CF last Spring. If he's gone, that's where Heyward starts. Almora hasn't shown enough to be a full-time player yet. He wouldn't get the start over Zobrist on Opening Day even as they have stated they want to get some more days off for Zobrist to keep him healthy. You aren't going to give him a rest day on Opening Day.

Why wouldn't they sign or trade for another CFer
Who knows what opportunity might come up for them in a trade.

I didn't say Almora would take over, I said they give him spot starts to maybe take over later in year and for 18.

Zobrist is 36 , he not the future...
They don't need him in lineup everyday...
If Fowler not resigned and they don't just turn it over to Almora, they get someone who can play CF and mix in Almora who the near future right now to get him ready.

Zobrist will be their utility guy and get plenty of starts in LF against LHers and giving the IFers rest..
He doesn't need to play everyday..

Plus
A scenario with Schwarber Heyward Zobrist in OF
slow and below average defensively
No way Maddon does that regularly

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Zoberist is one of their most consistant players and he has a no trade

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Why wouldn't they sign or trade for another CFer
Who knows what opportunity might come up for them in a trade.

I didn't say Almora would take over, I said they give him spot starts to maybe take over later in year and for 18.

If Fowler not resigned and they don't just turn it over to Almora, they get someone who can play CF and mix in Almora who the near future right now to get him ready.

Zobrist will be their utility guy and get plenty of starts in LF against LHers and giving the IFers rest..
He doesn't need to play everyday..

Plus
A scenario with Schwarber Heyward Zobrist in OF
slow and below average defensively
No way Maddon does that regularly

You keep shifting the conversation. You said opening day. I would tend to agree that Zobrist will see less playing time next year primarily to save him for the stretch run but to say he won't start on opening day is just not a scenario I can envision. They aren't going to trade for or sign another starting OF nthey have too many pieces as it is. They might get another piece to the OF in the form of a bench player but why would that guy start over Zobrist?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Assuming health, and the overwhelming likelihood that Fowler gets a deal elsewhere, The opening day OF is going to be exactly what PR said. Zobrist RF, Heyward CF, Schwarber LF. Since Maddon is a fan of ever shifting lineups I would also assume that Zobrist will play LF on days against particular tough lefties and Almora will start some days in CF with Heyward in RF. I also expect that there will be another OF in the mix possibly a new player from outside the organization. The idea the Ben Zobrist will actually sit, on opening day, is absurd. Sorry.
The idea of Heyward in CF and Zobrist in RF everyday is crazy.

With Schwarber in LF, the overall defense is below Avg.
There no way Maddon does that

I don't see the fascination of having Zobrist in opening day lineup..
I ask again if Fowler resigned, then where does Zobrist start on opening day? He doesn't
So what the difference if it Fowler in CF or another?

He 36, its a young team.. If not Fowler, then it time to either go with Almora or another young CFer..

Maddon will get Zobrist plenty of AB throughout the year

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The idea of Heyward in CF and Zobrist in RF everyday is crazy.

With Schwarber in LF, the overall defense is below Avg.
There no way Maddon does that

I don't see the fascination of having Zobrist in opening day lineup..
I ask again if Fowler resigned, then where does Zobrist start on opening day? He doesn't
So what the difference if it Fowler in CF or another?

He 36, its a young team.. If not Fowler, then it time to either go with Almora or another young CFer..

Maddon will get Zobrist plenty of AB throughout the year

Again why are you back to everyday when the conversation was about opening day? How many combinations in the OF did we see this year? I'd expect similar from Joe Maddon. Also if Fowler is not resigned the only possible leadoff hitters are Zobrist and Heyward unless you go way out of the box with Schwarber. Zobrist will also see some time at 2B with tough righties on the mound. Maddon does not use set lineups in the regular season and I don't expect him to start in 2017. If they need an OF/leadoff man for the stretch I'd expect them to pick one up in July.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
...He wouldn't get the start over Zobrist on Opening Day even as they have stated they want to get some more days off for Zobrist to keep him healthy. You aren't going to give him a rest day on Opening Day.
No kidding. You might want to actually digest a post before responding.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
No kidding. You might want to actually digest a post before responding.

I like chibears55, he's a good fan, but I feel like the conversation keeps shifting hither and yon. Zobrist starts on opening day. He may not start the day after that or even the day after that. Why is this a thing?