Baez as a full time player next year

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You keep shifting the conversation. You said opening day. I would tend to agree that Zobrist will see less playing time next year primarily to save him for the stretch run but to say he won't start on opening day is just not a scenario I can envision. They aren't going to trade for or sign another starting OF nthey have too many pieces as it is. They might get another piece to the OF in the form of a bench player but why would that guy start over Zobrist?
To be clear.. Here my take on this
I was mainly talking for the year, which includes opening day

If Fowler resigns.. Zobrist is on bench
Baez plays 2B, Schwarber Fowler Heyward in OF

If Fowler goes..
I can see them either giving CF to Almora and OR signing/trading for another Cfer

I just don't see Maddon going with an OF of
Schwarber Heyward Zobrist everyday

If you think Maddon starts Zobrist out of respect just on opening day..ok
But
I ask if Fowler resigns, where does he play
2B and sit Baez, is that fair to Baez to sit on opening day

I hope this is a bit more clearer on my thoughts

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Zoberist's value is that he is clutch and he doesnt swing at every dirt ball like so many Cubs players do under pressure

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Taco and I as young men

CwJdy0hXYAAz2zE.jpg

There is greatness in that

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
To be clear.. Here my take on this
I was mainly talking for the year, which includes opening day

If Fowler resigns.. Zobrist is on bench
Baez plays 2B, Schwarber Fowler Heyward in OF

If Fowler goes..
I can see them either giving CF to Almora and OR signing/trading for another Cfer

I just don't see Maddon going with an OF of
Schwarber Heyward Zobrist everyday

If you think Maddon starts Zobrist out of respect just on opening day..ok
But
I ask if Fowler resigns, where does he play
2B and sit Baez, is that fair to Baez to sit on opening day

I hope this is a bit more clearer on my thoughts

I see the chances of Fowler resigning to be slim and none. He's put up 8 WAR over the last 2 years and while he might decline someone is going to pay him. He didn't have a two year track record of success last year, he does now and he's improved as a fielder as well. He's a valuable player for a lot of teams. If you expected him to get 8 WAR over the life of a 4 year deal because of a decline you're talking at least a $16 mil AAV player, if he takes 2 years it's probably more than that (based on the current conventional wisdom of $8 mil/win in WAR). The Cubs aren't giving him 4/$64 or even 2/$36, they're just not. Could I see another guy being part of the OF mix? Absolutely but not as a guy who you promise 600 + PA to. Conversely Zobrist put up 4 WAR this year in 632 PA and while I can see him playing less can you envision a scenario where a 4 WAR player is given less that say 500 PA? Not to mention the fact that he's probably your best contact bat? I cannot.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Heyward will be in CF in your scenario and Zobrist in RF on opening day.

Either that or Bryant in RF and Baez at third. I can see them playing Javy in center field next spring, but thats really a waste of that tag magic. But you also need to consider that the tag magic is not the way any team wants to see their players tagging runners.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Either that or Bryant in RF and Baez at third. I can see them playing Javy in center field next spring, but thats really a waste of that tag magic. But you also need to consider that the tag magic is not the way any team wants to see their players tagging runners.

If the goal is shutting down running games with Contreras catching. You have to start Baez at 2nd every day they are up against teams with that threat.

The thing is Joe tends to shuffle the deck and turning off a running game is a factor.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The thing is Joe's main goal was to keep guys off the DL. Right now they are playing to win so he is using Baez to shut down the running game. Next year is a whole diffrent situation.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Maddon plays everybody and uses matchups so who cares

Baez zobrist will get their ab's 450-550 playing multiple poaitions while rizzo bryant and Russell probably get 550-600 at1b-ss and bryant all over again

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Baez zobrist will get their ab's 450-550 playing multiple poaitions while rizzo bryant and Russell probably get 550-600 at1b-ss and bryant all over again
That what I'm saying...

I think Zobrist just goes back to the role of playing different positions..
He will get his ABs, but just won't be an everyday player and especially an everyday in RF as a 36 YO.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

The discussion was strictly about the Opening Day starters. Nice job discussing something that wasn't being argued.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
At the end of the day they will have to figure out the lead off. Where they play on the field is a lesser issue. Seems like Schwarber becomes the new 2 hitter and Rizzo falls to #4. So could end up Zo, Schwarber, Bryant, Rizzo, Russell, Heyward, Baez, Contreras.

I still think they will mote Happ sooner than later to get a legit lead off and switch hitter factor back at cheaper cost. Most likely Maddon moves him from 2B to OF. Not sure where he ends up.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
One of Eggpanties many dumbfuck posts..."Cubs have morphed into one of the worst teams in baseball. Not a chance in hell they would win a single playoff game."

Let alone WS gave 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
One of Eggpanties many dumbfuck posts..."Cubs have morphed into one of the worst teams in baseball. Not a chance in hell they would win a single playoff game."

Let alone WS gave 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For 4 weeks they were the worst team in baseball. Do you even watch the games Dumbshit?

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For 4 weeks they were the worst team in baseball. Do you even watch the games Dumbshit?

That could be said about any team during a whole season. That is why they play a whole season. Teams have highs and lows.

How much baseball have you watched? The Kansas City Royals, who won the World Series last year, was 11-17 in September just before the playoffs. That is significantly worse than the Cubs's record in July. Teams go through peaks and valleys. What makes them good or bad isn't how they play when they dive into the valley but how they rebound out of it. They were 12-14 in July, 22-6 in August. Just for comparison during the same period the Mets were 13-13, the Giants were 11-13, the Nationals were 13-12, and only the Dodgers were significantly better at 15-9.

Keep trying to justify your negativism. Teams go in slumps, great teams get out of them.

Last edited: