*If Necessary

Pitching Matchup
CHC
Jake Arrieta
CLE
Josh Tomlin

CwMwKEdUAAE2ApZ.jpg

World Series Factoids
-This is the Cubs first trip to the World Series since October 1945. The series is most known for being the origins of the Billy Goat Curse. The series itself was played at the very end of World War II and most of the majors' better players were still in active military service. Many sports writers at the time dubbed this series "World's Worst Series" due to its general lack of talent.

-The Cubs would lose the 1945 World Series in 7 games. The format then was 3-4. Four games were played at Wrigley, in which the Cubs lost 3 of them. October 8th, 1945 (game 6) would be the last game the Cubs would win at Wrigley in the World Series. The Cubs won 8-7 in extra innings to force a game 7. It is 1 of only 2 games the Cubs have ever won in Wrigley Field. At this point in time, the Cubs had already gone 37 years without winning a title.

-The last time the Cubs were in the world series:
o) There was no NBA (Founded in 1947)
o) The NFL had 10 teams, there was no Super Bowl.
o) The NHL only had 6 teams (The Original Six)
o) MLB had 16 teams, there was no playoffs. Pennant winners were decided by who finished in the top of the standings in the AL and NL.

-Dexter Fowler will be the first African American Cubs player to play in the World Series (as he will be the first at the plate); the Cubs last appearance in 1945 was two years before Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in 1947.

-The Cubs are Indians combine for 174 years in droughts without winning a World Series. The Indians last appearance was in 1997. The Indians other appearances since their last win are 1995 and 1954. The Cubs meanwhile have 1945, 1935, 1932, 1929, 1918, and 1910.

[video=youtube_share;cJEAggf9fl8]http://youtu.be/cJEAggf9fl8[/video]

Last edited:

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Let's get it to 7 boys!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Game 6 in the good hands, of Jake, the Cy Young. Wait, thats not right.

Anyway, Schwarber is back, but some focus has switched to the catcher position. Jake liked throwing to Montero during the season, also done well with Rossy, with Contrares catching everything back there but not hitting anymore have Joe thinking to give Jake a different catcher. He won already with Contrares back there this series, but if we could get 8 innings from Jake, or a complete game, it really sets up game 7 well.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Perfect scenario for tonight..
Arrieta pitches a complete game shutout
Cubs bats come alive with 7 runs

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Joe going with Contrares for game 6 and 7. Yeah, early runs, waste their bullpen, have everyone ready, Lackey will probably be first backup for Kyle, but everyone is available game 7.

Joe was happy with the at bats against Kluber, and three times in 9 days, these hitters have seen it all. All the pressure is on Cleveland, the cubs need to come out banging and put complete doubt in their minds. Its too easy to look past tonight to game 7, but lets hope Cleveland is also looking for it.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
I swear to God, my heart almost fell through my asshole last game. I'm nervous

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Joe going with Contrares for game 6 and 7. Yeah, early runs, waste their bullpen, have everyone ready, Lackey will probably be first backup for Kyle, but everyone is available game 7.

Joe was happy with the at bats against Kluber, and three times in 9 days, these hitters have seen it all. All the pressure is on Cleveland, the cubs need to come out banging and put complete doubt in their minds. Its too easy to look past tonight to game 7, but lets hope Cleveland is also looking for it.

The only way Lackey pitches again in this series is if Game 7 goes 18 innings.

supra8795

Liked Posts:
I'm nervous as fuck and we still got 8 hours before the game. lol

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
One inning at a time, my reasonable hopes for the first inning: Cubs see 23 or more pitches; Jake doesn't walk anyone and only throws 15 pitches.

And as Lovie-tard famously says....."and we'll take it from there".

Washington

Liked Posts:
I have a feeling we're going to have to score at least 5 to win. I have concerns about Jake.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The keys to this one:

1) We need "good" Jake. He had fantastic stuff last time out with better command but his control was suspect at times. If he can retain the stuff but improve the command and control I feel damned good about him on the mound

2) Don't let Tomlin beat you with his curve. Lay off this pitch and don't expand the zone. He's not going to throw a curve for a strike so pay attention to what you saw last time and what you saw on film and don't let this pitch beat you. Baez in particular isn't going to see a single pitch in the strike zone until he shows he can lay off the curve. If Tomlin can't beat us with the curve he doesn't win.

4) Remember who you are. I understand that with Kluber you had to be more aggressive just to have a snowball's chance, but that's not Tomlin. Work the AB, get on base. If we can do this, especially early in the order I can see getting an early lead.

5) Kyle Schwarber. If he's as patient at the plate and seeing the ball like he did last week he jumpstarts the offense.

I think we win to tonight but the above are the keys. They cannot get an early lead or it's over.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Rizzo on ESPN 1000 just told Kap Schwarber is batting 2nd after Fowler, Bryant bumped to 3rd Rizzo cleanup followed by Zobrist.

Interesting.

In a normal year I like him 2nd but he has shown good plate discipline and gettimg people on the bases for bryant/rizzo/zobrist is a good thing if kyle can keep it up.

I'd have 6-9 look like this

Russell
Montero
Baez
Heyward (2nd leadoff Hitter theory)

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
The game will be decided in the first 4-5 innings. Either we score off Tomlin or we don't. That is pretty much it.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Interesting.

In a normal year I like him 2nd but he has shown good plate discipline and gettimg people on the bases for bryant/rizzo/zobrist is a good thing if kyle can keep it up.

I'd have 6-9 look like this

Russell
Montero
Baez
Heyward (2nd leadoff Hitter theory)

Has something changed? I had thought Contreras was starting.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Fun random pointless fact: last time there were two ties in the NFL, Cleveland lost the World Series in 7 games.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My buddy just calls me. "Hey, I'm driving to Cleveland, I got 1 ticket."

Bastard....