*If Necessary

Pitching Matchup
CHC
Kyle Hendricks
CLE
Corey Kluber

CwR3sl0VIAA1Yye.jpg

World Series Factoids
-This is the Cubs first trip to the World Series since October 1945. The series is most known for being the origins of the Billy Goat Curse. The series itself was played at the very end of World War II and most of the majors' better players were still in active military service. Many sports writers at the time dubbed this series "World's Worst Series" due to its general lack of talent.

-The Cubs would lose the 1945 World Series in 7 games. The format then was 3-4. Four games were played at Wrigley, in which the Cubs lost 3 of them. October 8th, 1945 (game 6) would be the last game the Cubs would win at Wrigley in the World Series. The Cubs won 8-7 in extra innings to force a game 7. It is 1 of only 2 games the Cubs have ever won in Wrigley Field. At this point in time, the Cubs had already gone 37 years without winning a title.

-The last time the Cubs were in the world series:
o) There was no NBA (Founded in 1947)
o) The NFL had 10 teams, there was no Super Bowl.
o) The NHL only had 6 teams (The Original Six)
o) MLB had 16 teams, there was no playoffs. Pennant winners were decided by who finished in the top of the standings in the AL and NL.

-Dexter Fowler will be the first African American Cubs player to play in the World Series (as he will be the first at the plate); the Cubs last appearance in 1945 was two years before Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in 1947.

-The Cubs are Indians combine for 174 years in droughts without winning a World Series. The Indians last appearance was in 1997. The Indians other appearances since their last win are 1995 and 1954. The Cubs meanwhile have 1945, 1935, 1932, 1929, 1918, and 1910.

[video=youtube_share;cJEAggf9fl8]http://youtu.be/cJEAggf9fl8[/video]

Last edited:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
This will go down as a World Series classic. Both teams and fan bases are long suffering, waiting for a championship. It's a shame a team has to lose this series, but I hope the Cubs beat the crap out of Cleveland tonight and leave skid marks.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Who does Hendricks prefer at catcher?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This game has all the makings of a 1-0 nail biter for the ages. Might have to double up on the ole blood pressure meds this evening.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I have so many questions running around in my brain as far how this game is going to go it's almost silly. One I keep coming back to though is where you do you bat Schwarber? The 2 hole was the thing that got the offense going but I don't see how he can be in that spot tonight. We might have to scratch and claw for a run and, bless his giant man-child of a heart, not being able to run the bases isn't going to work against Kluber. So do you you keep him at 2 and be prepared to pull him for a pinch runner as early as the second time through the order or move him down? Not an easy choice.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not much of a baseball fan, but pulling for the cubbies because my dad has been a lifelong cubs fan and he was a year old the last time the Cubs were in the WS and of course for the apocalyptic consequences of a Cubs win.

Will be watching at his place. Every single Chicago championship won since 1985 save for 2 I've watched with him and Chicago took it home. Why stop now?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have so many questions running around in my brain as far how this game is going to go it's almost silly. One I keep coming back to though is where you do you bat Schwarber? The 2 hole was the thing that got the offense going but I don't see how he can be in that spot tonight. We might have to scratch and claw for a run and, bless his giant man-child of a heart, not being able to run the bases isn't going to work against Kluber. So do you you keep him at 2 and be prepared to pull him for a pinch runner as early as the second time through the order or move him down? Not an easy choice.

If they bat him 5th or higher he may not see as many good pitches.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
damn...I'm nervous. Kluber has owned us and we need Hendricks to go at least 7 innings

DanTown

Liked Posts:
My best guess is it's something like

Kluber / Miller / Allen / Shaw

v

Hendricks / Lester / Chapman

That's fucking nuts. Got to get offense going early; the longer you wait, the more pressure you put on Kyle and the more pressure you put on every play.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I'm just so thankful to be here. And this team has proved to me and so many other people that they are of a different breed than any other past teams. When the Dodgers were up 2-1, I thought we were done. But our Cubbies proved me wrong. Down 3-1 against the Indians, again I thought we were done. But here we are tied 3-3 with a winner take all Game 7.

I'm just so proud of our guys. And to even be here with so many young guys (Bryant, Baez, Contreras, Addison Russell, etc) -- it's just amazing. It's just been such an incredible run and I'll always cherish so many different amazing moments from this year.

Baez homer off Cueto in Game 1 of the NLDS, Arrieta homer off Mabum in Game 3 of the NLDS, the come from behind victory in Game 4 of the NLDS, Baez stealing home and Montero hitting the grand slam in Game 1 of the NLCS, Hendricks with a performance for the ages in Game 6, etc.

It's just been magical. And now here we are in Game 7 with a chance to the do the unthinkable and bring a World Series championship to Wrigley. I fucking love this team!!

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Coomer was just on 670AM and said Lester is definitely pitching tonight. It sounds like Hendricks, Lester, and Chapman are certain goes - with Montgomery possible as well.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was pretty confident we'd win last night. I'm a lot less confident in tonight just because we had to use Chapman again and Cleveland's best pitchers are fully rested. I know Kluber is short rest but all he needs to do is give them 3-4 innings and Francona will go to his bullpen early and often. Miller could possible give the Indians three innings tonight. I'm just not feeling hopeful with the way the Indians pitching is lining up.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
He stays at the 2.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
damn...I'm nervous. Kluber has owned us and we need Hendricks to go at least 7 innings
Why does Hendricks need to go at least 7 innings? Lester is available, Jake is available, Edwards is available, Grimm is available, let alone Montgomery and Chapman.

greg23

Liked Posts:

Really?

That's one of the questions you have?

It was brilliant to hit him 2nd and no doubt he'll stay hitting 2nd tonight

As far as pinch running for him early....are you nuts? Only time I see that as a possibility is in the 8th or 9th and were trailing by 1 or tied.