Theo Epstein

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
The core is there, but healthy starting pitching along with a strong bull pen will be the challenge.

Acquiring Montgomery this year seems even more genius now after getting his frist save to win the worlds series and having another lefty slide into the rotation at 4 next year...

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
He's got the spot in Cooperstown now. Guy is unbelievable, and I imagine that if he left baseball today whatever it is he chose to do he'd be successful at it. He's just that guy you hated in high school who did everything right, and continues to do everything right.

Full Disclosure: I'm not a Cubs fan. That being said, the best thing he did for this franchise was the Rizzo trade.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He's got the spot in Cooperstown now. Guy is unbelievable, and I imagine that if he left baseball today whatever it is he chose to do he'd be successful at it. He's just that guy you hated in high school who did everything right, and continues to do everything right.

Full Disclosure: I'm not a Cubs fan. That being said, the best thing he did for this franchise was the Rizzo trade.

You really can't say that. You could say the same about Dempster for a add on guy of the name Kyle Hendrick's.

Or Trading Clevenger and a rental starter for Arrieta and Stropp. That one may be the best as Arrieta has won a cy-young.

There have been many great trades to build this. Shark for Russell is another. Every one impacted this year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Acquiring Montgomery this year seems even more genius now after getting his frist save to win the worlds series and having another lefty slide into the rotation at 4 next year...

I hope he becomes a starter. Makes trading Vogy worth it if Vogy becomes a starting DH.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I talked mad shit about Theo when he came to town. Got no problem saying I was way wrong.

In 2013 I said Theo ruined the Cubs. Which is hilarious on so many fronts. One, the Cubs were ruined long before Theo arrived. Secondly, Theo is the most brilliant, innovative and accomplished baseball exec in the modern era.

Yep I am just another idiot on the Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
As far as how many will we win? Who knows. This might be the only one for 50+ years. Or we could win 2-3 more in the next 5-7 years.

But we should consistently make the playoffs and have a shot. We'll be playing meaningful games and that's all we can ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
After a season like this is really hard to watch a Cubs game and not have the thought in the back of your mind that they can win just about any game.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I am kinda surprised that he got 5 more years at top dollar. He already built the team, they need to redo the pen every year and have a stocked system.

I am probably the only one that sees Ricketts with a bit of embarrassment when Theo starts drinking with the boys, or interrupting his Bender. Seems to look like he should be more professional.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am kinda surprised that he got 5 more years at top dollar. He already built the team, they need to redo the pen every year and have a stocked system.

I am probably the only one that sees Ricketts with a bit of embarrassment when Theo starts drinking with the boys, or interrupting his Bender. Seems to look like he should be more professional.

:aj:

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

After re-building two "snake-bitten" franchises from the bottom up and having his fingerprints all over 4 WS Championships you wonder why he was re-signed by Ricketts for top dollar? You sure you actually have something between your ears?

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:

Theo could fuck a hooker on top of the dugout while doing a line of coke off Schwarber's bat and I'd be totally fine with it.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
When Theo Epstein left the Boston Red Sox to become president of baseball operations for the Chicago Cubs in the fall of 2011, he told reporters he was “ready for the next big challenge.” And what a challenge it was: The Cubs were coming off of a 71-win season, without much help on the way. Famously, the team’s last pennant had come 66 years prior, and it hadn’t won a World Series in 103 years.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/theo-epsteins-curse-breakers/
Great article on 538 on these Cubs and comparison to 2004 Red Sox, etc.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Need to work on the pitching...
Besides Hendricks everyone over 30 and there isn't anything in system to really count on now

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Need to work on the pitching...
Besides Hendricks everyone over 30 and there isn't anything in system to really count on now

Montgomery is 27.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Montgomery wasn't part of their core rotation in 16

Montgomery so far isn't part of their rotation in 17

Yes, he is. They declined their option on Hammel for 2017 and Maddon already told people during the WS that Montgomery is in the rotation next year.