Jason Heyward literally earned his salary last night

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
While Heyward's offense fell off a cliff virtually over night, one has to hope he just needs an off-season to fix it.

You don't hear about 26 year olds with out injury who just one day can't hit anymore for no reason.

I heard an analyst refer to the case of Mike Lowell. Mike Lowell was a really good player for a long time. But one year in the middle of his prime he was horrible. He wasn't injured - it was unexplainable. He was totally broken and couldn't do anything right. The next season he was good again and remained so for several more seasons.

Jhey made some huge defensive plays all year for us. To earn $184M, he needs to do a heck of a lot more than that - but he'll be better next year.

How much better is the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
While Heyward's offense fell off a cliff virtually over night, one has to hope he just needs an off-season to fix it.

You don't hear about 26 year olds with out injury who just one day can't hit anymore for no reason.

I heard an analyst refer to the case of Mike Lowell. Mike Lowell was a really good player for a long time. But one year in the middle of his prime he was horrible. He wasn't injured - it was unexplainable. He was totally broken and couldn't do anything right. The next season he was good again and remained so for several more seasons.

Jhey made some huge defensive plays all year for us. To earn $184M, he needs to do a heck of a lot more than that - but he'll be better next year.

How much better is the question.

To literally earn his $184 mil salary he has to compile 23 WAR over the term of the deal based on $8 mil per WAR. That means for the 7 years remaining he has to compile 21.4 WAR meaning he has to average 3.057 WAR for the remainder of the deal. It's not that farfetched to think he'll do that but the other thing is that if he does become that 5-6 WAR player again in the next two year he will opt put. This contract is likely nowhere near the albatross people make it out to be.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I hear Hillary has also earned a lot of money giving speeches.

:rimshot:

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
To literally earn his $184 mil salary he has to compile 23 WAR over the term of the deal based on $8 mil per WAR. That means for the 7 years remaining he has to compile 21.4 WAR meaning he has to average 3.057 WAR for the remainder of the deal. It's not that farfetched to think he'll do that but the other thing is that if he does become that 5-6 WAR player again in the next two year he will opt put. This contract is likely nowhere near the albatross people make it out to be.

$184mil is not his salary, it's the total value of his contract. His salary is something like 16mil this year, eventually rising to 22mil.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

JaySix

Liked Posts:
For as poor as he was offensively, he plays hard all the time. He plays great D. He runs the bases extremely well. And he never complains or makes excuses.

He needs to tear down that swing and rebuild. I don't expect miracles, but I can't imagine he doesn't improve. How much is the big question, of course.

But if he comes back to bat in the .265 - .275 range and hits some HR's, he'll be worth his salary. Lots of work to do in the offseason. But we're not asking a slow player to get faster, or a weak player to become a slugger. He has the tools.
I don't care if he hits a single home run to be honest, but if he hits 265-275 AND gets his OBP back up to his usual .350, then he is the player they signed.. he never had power...

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hear Hillary has also earned a lot of money giving speeches.

:rimshot:

marisa-arriaga-softball-bat-trick.gif