Jason Heyward literally earned his salary last night

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Accounting for the fact that the Cubs are not your "average" organization and that this victory will be wildly more valuable to them than the average franchise, it's a safe assumption that Jason Heyward's victory-inspiring rain delay speech last night will easily earn back the entirety (and probably much, much more) of his 2016 salary of $21.67mil for the organization:

http://thefieldsofgreen.com/2014/10/02/how-much-value-does-a-postseason-appearance-hold-for-mlb-franchises/

Now someone just needs to develop a 'Revenue Dollars Above Replacement" metric.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Props to him but he was still awful. I have to think Theo regrets signing him at this point. We can only hope he fixes his swing for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I heard a lot of ex-Cubs have offered to help him.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Accounting for the fact that the Cubs are not your "average" organization and that this victory will be wildly more valuable to them than the average franchise, it's a safe assumption that Jason Heyward's victory-inspiring rain delay speech last night will easily earn back the entirety (and probably much, much more) of his 2016 salary of $21.67mil for the organization:

http://thefieldsofgreen.com/2014/10/02/how-much-value-does-a-postseason-appearance-hold-for-mlb-franchises/

Now someone just needs to develop a 'Revenue Dollars Above Replacement" metric.

A speech earned the salary? :rolleyes:

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Worst choking dog hitter in MLB
Best rain delay public speaker

Washington

Liked Posts:
I surely was not enamored by his season other than his defense. His D came to light in the WS too. One can only think that his hitting will get back on track next year and that gives the team an immediate lift. We won even with his poor hitting. It can only get better is how I'm viewing it.

The speech showed leadership and I commend him for that.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
At least It wasn't done with a mouthful of kool-aid like yours

1) A World Series victory is worth a real amount of additional revenue for an organization

2) Jason Heyward was, according to his teammates, directly responsible for enabling them to win the World Series by refocusing them following a psychologically devastating setback

3) The amount of additional revenue realized by the World Series victory will at least equal Heyward's 2016 salary

This isn't difficult, for most. Do try harder to keep up next time.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
1) A World Series victory is worth a real amount of additional revenue for an organization

2) Jason Heyward was, according to his teammates, directly responsible for enabling them to win the World Series by refocusing them following a psychologically devastating setback

3) The amount of additional revenue realized by the World Series victory will at least equal Heyward's 2016 salary

This isn't difficult, for most. Do try harder to keep up next time.

Yes, if Heyward never spoke the Cubs would have lost. Your team sucks if that is the case. Period and end of story.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Yes, if Heyward never spoke the Cubs would have lost. Your team sucks if that is the case. Period and end of story.

2016 World Series Champions = Team sucks

You are the gift that keeps on giving!

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I get that the point of this thread is about the revenue and maybe it's true...

but his salary this year is basically a wash as far as I'm concerned anyway because there's no better outcome for the season.

And I think there's every reason to believe Heyward will be back to himself offensively next season because he didn't just start sucking at baseball forever at age 27

TL1961

Liked Posts:
For as poor as he was offensively, he plays hard all the time. He plays great D. He runs the bases extremely well. And he never complains or makes excuses.

He needs to tear down that swing and rebuild. I don't expect miracles, but I can't imagine he doesn't improve. How much is the big question, of course.

But if he comes back to bat in the .265 - .275 range and hits some HR's, he'll be worth his salary. Lots of work to do in the offseason. But we're not asking a slow player to get faster, or a weak player to become a slugger. He has the tools.

NobodyLikesMe

Late For Dinner
Liked Posts:
Before Fowler was signed, I thought Heyward was brought in for his glove in center, with Schwarber in left and Soler in right, his defense was needed more than his bat. We knew his bat was weak when he signed, but Fowler coming in changed his role against his weakness, at least we didn't start the season with him in center and leading off.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
God hates Cleveland, Mother nature saved Old Joes butt :dealwithit:

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
For as poor as he was offensively, he plays hard all the time. He plays great D. He runs the bases extremely well. And he never complains or makes excuses.

He needs to tear down that swing and rebuild. I don't expect miracles, but I can't imagine he doesn't improve. How much is the big question, of course.

But if he comes back to bat in the .265 - .275 range and hits some HR's, he'll be worth his salary. Lots of work to do in the offseason. But we're not asking a slow player to get faster, or a weak player to become a slugger. He has the tools.

Just looking at his previous stats it seems like he has done this once before. in 2011 his average dipped to .227 from .277 the year before. The next year his average went back up to .269. Hopefully he can re-tool that swing and get back to a respectable level.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Before Fowler was signed, I thought Heyward was brought in for his glove in center, with Schwarber in left and Soler in right, his defense was needed more than his bat. We knew his bat was weak when he signed, but Fowler coming in changed his role against his weakness, at least we didn't start the season with him in center and leading off.

Heyward's all-around game was his biggest selling point, but by no means does he have a "weak" bat. He was a reliable 110-120 wRC+ prior to this season, before an early-season injured wrist, first-year contract pressure, and his mechanics completely tanked him at the plate. I fully expect he will bounce back at the plate and return to a 5-6 fWAR player again next year.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
A MLB scout was talking on an interview and said Heyward had the worst swing in MLB of any position player

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This was his speech, word for word

[video=youtube_share;cDaFcQJC4z8]https://youtu.be/cDaFcQJC4z8[/video]