Cubs free agents

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know, I know, not even 24 hours since the World Series. But some of these guys so could sign with other teams in a few days.

Fowler - $9 million mutual option/$5 million buyout

Hammel - $10 mil or a $2 mil buyout

Travis Wood
Aroldis Chapman
Chris Coghlan
Trevor Cahill
Joe Smith
David Ross

Last edited:

Mitchapalooza

I love how MLB has FA start right after the season is over. Fucking NFL makes us wait a whole month.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I think Chapman is gone. He turned down a 4 year $60M extension from the Cubs and may want $20/year. He might be worth that the first 2 years but in years 3-5 his fastball will be at 97mph with zero movement and he will be nothing special. I think they go after Kenley Jensen

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Don't sign Chappy. Sign Jansen.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I think Chapman is gone. He turned down a 4 year $60M extension from the Cubs and may want $20/year. He might be worth that the first 2 years but in years 3-5 his fastball will be at 97mph with zero movement and he will be nothing special. I think they go after Kenley Jensen

I hope they do go for Jensen for those exact reasons. Plus he just has a calming effect and hopefully will cost less and have a longer career. But I'm not going to be sad if we resign Chapman.

Fowler is going to hurt to lose. Not sure they can afford him long term, thanks Hayward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I know, I know, not even 24 hours since the World Series. But some of these guys so could sign with other teams in a few days.

Hammel - $12 million team option

Travis Wood
Aroldis Chapman
Chris Coghlan
Trevor Cahill
Joe Smith
David Ross

Hammel's option is only $10 mil or a $2 mil buyout. I fully expect the Cubs to pick up the option and later trade him as a #5 starter with his workload is worth more than $10 mil on the open market and he'll net a mid level prospect, and they won't have to pay the buyout.

Fowler has to be gone. Love the guy but he's going to get paid.

Mitchapalooza

$20 a year? SIGN HIM!

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Hammel - $12 million team option

Travis Wood
Aroldis Chapman
Chris Coghlan
Trevor Cahill
Joe Smith
David Ross

You mean we are still stuck with Ms Stella?

Joe has said he expects Montgomery to be in the mix to be a starter next year, so Hammel is probably gone. Worst part of that is Hammel was perfectly willing to accept Schwarber as his personal catcher. Dont really think Lester will accept him, my mind goes to seeing Ruiz hugging Joe in LA, but he is still under contract and Lester needs the big arm back there unless he is already practicing throwing to bases. Montero is pretty terrible throwing out runners with a quick pitcher to the plate.

Joe smith had the funk Joe liked, but lost his stuff, Coghlan is not necessary since Zobrist will probably be out in left more and its really bottle necked unless they move Soler.

Sczcur should also be considered a free agent since the cubs would lose him if he was not on the roster.

Teams out west are going to be very different.

Another note, Qualifying offers to free agents this year is up to 17.2 million dollars.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
It sounds like the Yankees' intention is to throw enough money at Chapman to get him back. And I'm not so sure the Cubs go after Jansen. It sounds like Edwards will be given every opportunity to be the closer next year, and then you have Rondon as a backup. They could see how that works out and pick up another arm at the deadline if it doesn't.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Mark Melancon is also out there might fly under the radar.

After Chapman broke down crying after giving up the lead, there might be a chance to get him back even if the Yankees offer 20 million.Chapman did not seem happy with the way he was over used though, so ultimately he is not a Maddon kind of guy.

Its going to feel like Schwarber is a free agent pickup after not having him all year, but I really think the cubs are gonna throw more big money at another outfielder with a packed outfield, considering Zobrist and Bryant will be out there too.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I kinda feel like I'm in the minority but I'd like them to keep Fowler. He was money leading off this year. Am I missing something?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I kinda feel like I'm in the minority but I'd like them to keep Fowler. He was money leading off this year. Am I missing something?

You're not, I'd like to keep him too but it's a crowded outfield and he's probably going to get something like 4/$56 mil.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd like to think we all want Fowler to stay, but he's going to make more money elsewhere. That's my understanding anyway.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:

Christ I'd love Jansen. He'll probably get 4-years/$60M. I love Fowler but I think he'll go get paid now. I'd have interest in bringing back Wood though. Hammel is gone, too. Montgomery should be able to step in as a starter though.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Christ I'd love Jansen. He'll probably get 4-years/$60M. I love Fowler but I think he'll go get paid now. I'd have interest in bringing back Wood though. Hammel is gone, too. Montgomery should be able to step in as a starter though.

I agree Hammel isn't part of the future but it would be foolish to pay him $2 mil to go away when you can pick up the option and trade him. I'd be surprised if that's not what they do.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
I'd like to think we all want Fowler to stay, but he's going to make more money elsewhere. That's my understanding anyway.

the marketing opportunities for him in Chicago now are huge, Cubs will have the money

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not sure how reliable Fangraphs is but someone posted a link in another thread showing that the Cubs have a team option on Fowler for 2017.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I'm not sure how reliable Fangraphs is but someone posted a link in another thread showing that the Cubs have a team option on Fowler for 2017.
Mutal option. Heyward is not exercising his side