Fowler says he will be free agent

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
This is his last and best shot at a big contract. It's very unlikely he comes back.

JaySix

Liked Posts:
This is his last and best shot at a big contract. It's very unlikely he comes back.

Yeah he is going to get big money so he's gone ungortunately...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I was against it last year but I would love for him to be on the White Sox next year...3 year 32 million

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Good for Fowler. Well deserved. He could have gotten more money from the Orioles last year but he came back.

Fowler's had an incredible two years with us. Love that guy! Go get your paycheck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I was against it last year but I would love for him to be on the White Sox next year...3 year 32 million

He turned down 36 million from Baltimore to be on a team that had a real chance to make the playoffs and just won the world series. He is looking for more like 3/48, even more considering what Heyward got. I think Theo makes another offer to him, possibly gets the chance to match it. He also technically lost 7 million dollars since he played for that much less than the qualifying offer. Now, I know maybe part of why he did not get bigger offers was because a team had to give up a compensatory pick, so they might be bigger now. But honestly, he signs some 15-17 million per year deal, I doubt he lives up to it. He is a really good center fielder in a small park.

I know he was a key to this team, but this OF is jam packed right now. We really need a leadoff man more than a center fielder so I wont be surprised if he returns. After last year, benching Schwarber or Soler and Baez after figuring Heyward would be in center was shocking.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
It wouldn't shock me if he ended up in the team that the Cubs just beat, Cleveland. They have a hole both in CF and a need for a traditional leadoff hitter. They have the finances to be able to fit in a guy like Fowler, who would then allow them to bat their really good power hitter like Santana in the middle of the order and replace Napoli's "bat".

I also do not know if the Cubs agreed to not offer him the QO and that's why he was willing to come back on a one year deal for so little money.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I think it's going to be 4 years at somewhere between $48 & $56 mil.

I could see it going to 4 and 56. I think that's the range from you and I...3/32 to 4/56. I'd be ok with that from the White Sox. A lot more attractive than the 5/125 to 6/170 Cespedes is asking for

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
The numbers being thrown around here seem "optimistic," to put it lightly. Fowler was a 4.7 fWAR player this year. I'm not aware of any precedent for a similar playing signing for $11-14mil per year.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The numbers being thrown around here seem "optimistic," to put it lightly. Fowler was a 4.7 fWAR player this year. I'm not aware of any precedent for a similar playing signing for $11-14mil per year.

I think his age factors quite heavily into it.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

No question. You have to figure on a decline but he's probably is good to compile a minimum of 8-10 WAR over a 4 year deal, even if the bulk of it comes early in the deal.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

Fowler will be 31 starting next year and is coming off a 4.7 fWAR season.

Alex Gordon was 32 to start this year and was coming off a 2.7 fWAR season and he got $18mil per.

Ben Zobrist was 34 to start this year and was coming off a 2.0 fWAR season and he got $14mil per.

Any argument that Fowler's "advanced" age is going to result in him accepting a deal in the 11-14mil AAV range is simply incoherent. That is wish-thinking.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
With some development is Alomar a guy that gets to Fowler's level in a few years?

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
With some development is Alomar a guy that gets to Fowler's level in a few years?

Well, he's a different type of player. I think Almora is the most interesting "unknown" of the offseason. I feel like he's the only young player who the FO hasn't been clear on what they see as his role. Do they ever see him becoming a starter or is he just a fourth OF? What is his ceiling? Is he Matt Szczur or Ender Inciarte?

czman

Liked Posts:

Alex Gordon was 32 to start this year and was coming off a 2.7 fWAR season and he got $18mil per.

Ben Zobrist was 34 to start this year and was coming off a 2.0 fWAR season and he got $14mil per.

Any argument that Fowler's "advanced" age is going to result in him accepting a deal in the 11-14mil AAV range is simply incoherent. That is wish-thinking.

If the Cubs can put a QO on him, it will drop his value. There are some issues with Fowler in as a FA, and we saw them last season. He has ~250 outside of Coors field for his career. He has an injury history; only playing ~130 games a season for his last 8 seasons (discounting his short first year in the majors). Is on average a 2 war player. Outside of Wrigley field he has ranked as one of the worst defensive starting CF in baseball for his career. There is no doubt that Wrigley has helped his value. The smaller CF has helped his well below average defense. The great teams round him and short power alleys has helped his offensive value.

I just think most GMs are smart enough to see all of these things and it will decrease his value to another team. I suspect that he will get 3 years at ~40 million. I can see the Cubs valuing him more than someone else. He firs their team well.

If the Cubs can't put the QO on him, it will probably raise his value another 2-3 million a season. I don't really understand the rules for QO well enough to know if they can or cannot.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Or folks just aren't overpaying...but hey, you're never wrong....

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I think one of two things will happen

Either Fowler returns on a 3 yr deal
Or
They decide to just turn CF over to Almora and let him learn on the job , with the idea of him being protected in the lineup pretty much by everyone else..

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I think one of two things will happen

Either Fowler returns on a 3 yr deal
Or
They decide to just turn CF over to Almora and let him learn on the job , with the idea of him being protected in the lineup pretty much by everyone else..

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
You cant protect both Almora and Heyward. Having 2 OF that cant hit or leadoff is a disaster

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You cant protect both Almora and Heyward. Having 2 OF that cant hit or leadoff is a disaster
I think Heyward will be better next year. ..
Guy just dont go from being a .700s and .800s OPS in his 6 yrs to .600 because he a total bust of a hitter..
Just think he had his bad season and will rebound.1

Almora a ballplayer.
he'll have his hot and cold spells but I see him progress as the season goes on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk