Offseason discussion/rumors

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's more "good" than "great." I don't think you would really go wrong in getting him but people these days seem to want that one dominant guy like Miller was for Cleveland. Melancon is more of just a one inning guy.

Cleveland is supposedly looking to trade Miller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Admittedly I don't know enough about pitching values and stats as other on this MB, so i am wondering why there isn't a huge push for Melancon?

I ask for 2 reasons: (a) i believe he will be more affordable then Chapman/Jansen, and (b) I consider the local team here (SF Giants) to be very savvy when it comes to pitchers (despite their horrid bullpen in 2016) and they seem to be 100% focused on Melancon - according to the local rags it is a foregone conclusion that they sign him.

Because Jansen and Chapman are just more dominant pitchers than him, and it's important for a guy to be overpowering if you're going to bring him in with the bases loaded and your playoff life on the line. He doesn't have the same velocity or swing & miss stuff as they do, although he does generate more weak contact and more groundballs then either. Taking into account a Cubs defense with Russell and Baez up the middle, I think Melancon would be an interesting option given his GB%.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Game 7 they expected him to shut down the Cubs bats...he's not who they thought he was.

Sign Chap and trade him and Soler for Miller :smug2:

I know this was in jest but this shows how good of a position the Cubs are in. Cleveland really can't afford miller and Allen and so miller is on the block. The Cubs can do what they want money wise

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I know this was in jest but this shows how good of a position the Cubs are in. Cleveland really can't afford miller and Allen and so miller is on the block. The Cubs can do what they want money wise

I've seen the rumors about Miller but Cleveland beat writers to a man say that it's a complete non-starter. They'll figure out the money.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've seen the rumors about Miller but Cleveland beat writers to a man say that it's a complete non-starter. They'll figure out the money.

Over 20 million for two relievers with a payroll that was 96 million last year is going to be tough

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The haul returning to Cleveland for Miller would be huge so I think there will definitely be discussions. I dont know about anyone else here, but that cleveland outfield was just terrible. They could probably get a whole new crew out there for Miller.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I was digging into teams that made sense for a potential Soler trade. Three teams really come to mind. The Rays, Oakland and Atlanta are 3 teams that were terrible at scoring runs. A's and Braves were tied for the second fewest runs per game last year. The rays were 7th worst. Oakland and Atlanta make a ton of sense because this front office has made several trades with those teams. Atlanta has a multitude of pitching options. Oakland isn't quite as deep but they got several pitching prospects back in the Hill trade.

Soler still has a number of rough edges so I really don't see him being dealt for a Teheran/Gray/Archer type trade package. Think what we may see is repackaging him for one or multiple young pitching prospects. You're probably talking about someone in the A+ through AA range. Brent Honeywell for example might be an interesting arm from TB. Grant Holmes from Oakland would be interesting. Sean Newcomb for Atlanta would also be interesting.

Also for what it's worth, both Atlanta and Tampa have talked about competing next year. Beane has also talked in the past about tanking not working for Oakland because by the time they are competitive they can no longer pay their best players.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I was digging into teams that made sense for a potential Soler trade. Three teams really come to mind. The Rays, Oakland and Atlanta are 3 teams that were terrible at scoring runs. A's and Braves were tied for the second fewest runs per game last year. The rays were 7th worst. Oakland and Atlanta make a ton of sense because this front office has made several trades with those teams. Atlanta has a multitude of pitching options. Oakland isn't quite as deep but they got several pitching prospects back in the Hill trade.

Soler still has a number of rough edges so I really don't see him being dealt for a Teheran/Gray/Archer type trade package. Think what we may see is repackaging him for one or multiple young pitching prospects. You're probably talking about someone in the A+ through AA range. Brent Honeywell for example might be an interesting arm from TB. Grant Holmes from Oakland would be interesting. Sean Newcomb for Atlanta would also be interesting.

Also for what it's worth, both Atlanta and Tampa have talked about competing next year. Beane has also talked in the past about tanking not working for Oakland because by the time they are competitive they can no longer pay their best players.

Newcombe is an interesting name in that he does fit the profile of what Cubs look for in a pitcher except he really struggles with both command and control. I saw him pitch for the Mississippi Braves this summer and he's got some nice movement on his fastball and I'm told he can hit 95-97 mph at times but he probably should settle in at 92-93 if his command is to improve. The most interesting thing about him is that Atlanta doesn't like him much. They thought they were getting a fireball lefty and while he can pitch for velo that's not what's going to make him a TOR starter. In other words I'm pretty sure he could be had, but the issue is that I've heard from some decent sources that the Braves don't like Soler either. I like where your going though.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Didn't see this posted, but earlier today 670 reported the Cubs are going to make a serious run at keeping Fowler, and that the 8mil saved on Hammel may be intended to go towards that effort. His departure may not be as sure a thing as long assumed.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Fowler declined QO, has til Monday to make it official

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Didn't see this posted, but earlier today 670 reported the Cubs are going to make a serious run at keeping Fowler, and that the 8mil saved on Hammel may be intended to go towards that effort. His departure may not be as sure a thing as long assumed.

I am sure we will hear this about every single free agent out there. The three amigos let absolutely nothing out. Its writers getting paid to put shit out there so if it happens, they can say they said it first.

Even without Fowler there are too many outfielders on this team, and lets always remember that Albert Almora was Theo's first draft pick here. If the cubs have a hole right now and it takes Soler being dealt to fill it, we will watch Soler hit moonshots elsewhere. Right now there is no hole other than replacing Jake eventually, LAckey after next year. Money fills those spots.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I am sure we will hear this about every single free agent out there. The three amigos let absolutely nothing out. Its writers getting paid to put shit out there so if it happens, they can say they said it first.

Even without Fowler there are too many outfielders on this team, and lets always remember that Albert Almora was Theo's first draft pick here. If the cubs have a hole right now and it takes Soler being dealt to fill it, we will watch Soler hit moonshots elsewhere. Right now there is no hole other than replacing Jake eventually, LAckey after next year. Money fills those spots.
There are not too many OF on the team without Fowler.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well if they choose to sign Fowler to say a 5/96 deal it opens up Happ and Almora for trade for a arm.

You would expect Soler and Schwarber manning LF at that point. It also lets Schwarber be able to catch some and thus giving Contreras a day off. This makes Montero expendable. So another trade chip.

We can talk smack about Montero but he frames excelent and calls some of the best games in the business. Some team will talk trade especally if they add in some quality prospects into the deal.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Well if they choose to sign Fowler to say a 5/96 deal it opens up Happ and Almora for trade for a arm.

You would expect Soler and Schwarber manning LF at that point. It also lets Schwarber be able to catch some and thus giving Contreras a day off. This makes Montero expendable. So another trade chip.
I would dump Soler and his loafing, below average BA and defense and keep Almora who can play all OF positions

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would dump Soler and his loafing, below average BA and defense and keep Almora who can play all OF positions

I feel ya here. But they need a RH power bat that can take over on DH days. Add to it Schwarber still hasn't proven he is a strong hitter vs lefties yet.

I understand it on Almora as a 4th OF. But as a trade chip add in you have to think about it in the right trade.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I feel ya here. But they need a RH power bat that can take over on DH days. Add to it Schwarber still hasn't proven he is a strong hitter vs lefties yet.

I understand it on Almora as a 4th OF. But as a trade chip add in you have to think about it in the right trade.

Almora has little trade value. He's not regarded as a top prospect and hasn't proved to be a MLB starter yet, so he's somewhat stuck in the middle on what another GM would look for. Soler has much more trade value than him.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm curious what the Rays would want for Drew Smyly. According to Marc Topkin...

Trading away some salary is necessary. Barring an unexpected major roster overhaul, they would seem best served by dealing LHP Drew Smyly, who could get around $7 million via arbitration

Smyly strikes me as someone who could be a potential weapon out of the bullpen. His BB/K ratio was 27th best in the majors last season as a starter and that was down from the previous two years. With Wood a FA, Montgomery likely penciled in as the #5, and Chapman also a FA, the cubs are thin on LHP options. Rosscup will return from the DL. Conception and him seem like more AAA depth. Zastryzny is also around but not exactly proven.

$7 mil next year for Smyly is pretty pricey given his ERA/FIP was 4.88/4.49. So, I would struggle to see them getting a huge return. As for why the cubs would want him, his slider is filthy. People batted .212/.242/.411 with a 38.6% k rate. His 4 seam wasn't amazing but it was ok. Teams hit .252/.308/.413 vs that with a 21.1% K rate. That's pretty much MLB average. Teams killed his cutter though hitting .339/.375/.634. He also threw a change up that was hit for a little worse than average. In theory, putting him out in the pen would allow him to rely more on the 4 seam/slider combo. And of course there's similar upside to what Montgomery had when the cubs deal for him. If you get another 1 or 2 pitches going for Smyly, he's under contract until 2019 and has starter experience.

Among starters he was 27th in swinging strike rate just ahead of Arrieta and Lester. Clearly he has some things to work out but I'd love to see the cubs give him a chance to find himself in the bullpen with Bosio helping him similar to the way the Red Sox let Andrew Miller come into his own. I'd imagine his 91-92is 4 seam probably plays up to 94-95 in the bullpen and his slider would likely be even better when you only see it once or twice a game.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Almora has little trade value. He's not regarded as a top prospect and hasn't proved to be a MLB starter yet, so he's somewhat stuck in the middle on what another GM would look for. Soler has much more trade value than him.

Plus you want Almora on the bench. He's the answer to defensive situations when Schwarber shouldn't be in the OF. He can play all 3 OF position quite well defensively. And if you're going to have a bat off the bench you really don't need a guy who walks. You're generally looking to get someone who puts the ball in play as a pinch hitter.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Plus you want Almora on the bench. He's the answer to defensive situations when Schwarber shouldn't be in the OF. He can play all 3 OF position quite well defensively. And if you're going to have a bat off the bench you really don't need a guy who walks. You're generally looking to get someone who puts the ball in play as a pinch hitter.

I sort of look at Almora's floor as "Matt Szczur" and his ceiling as "Ender Inciarte with more pop".