Offseason discussion/rumors

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't see the bullpen going through too much of a change. .

RH
Grimm
Edwards
Strop
Rondon

LH
Zastryzny

LH options
Wood (resigns) Montgomery (if not SP)
Concepcion Leathersich Rollins Rosscup

So.. im looking at maybe adding another Lefty
I also think they will add a closer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

They seem set with 7 guys. Keeping things the same means Rondon as the closer and Strop as the set up. Edwards as the shut down guy. Grimm as depth.

They have no long relief guy.

From the left you want 2 guys. Rob Z did well but Maddon didn't trust him in the play offs. I doubt he is option 1. Wood should pursue a starting gig IMO. I don't like him starting due to him not having a deep breaking pitch. Cutter guys are fine in short situations but seeing guys a few times having a knee buckling pitch is a equalizer.

That is why I like Montgomery starting. Has a decent breaking pitch. That is something to build a arsenal around.

So I see them needing a vet lefty in the pen. Not another kid. Won't happen. Add to it they need a multi inning arm.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They seem set with 7 guys. Keeping things the same means Rondon as the closer and Strop as the set up. Edwards as the shut down guy. Grimm as depth.

They have no long relief guy.

From the left you want 2 guys. Rob Z did well but Maddon didn't trust him in the play offs. I doubt he is option 1. Wood should pursue a starting gig IMO. I don't like him starting due to him not having a deep breaking pitch. Cutter guys are fine in short situations but seeing guys a few times having a knee buckling pitch is a equalizer.

That is why I like Montgomery starting. Has a decent breaking pitch. That is something to build a arsenal around.

So I see them needing a vet lefty in the pen. Not another kid. Won't happen. Add to it they need a multi inning arm.
If I'm correct I believe Maddon went with 8 relievers most of the season..

My list wasn't in any particular pitching order, just listed who I believe will come North from the RH and LH options they have on their 40 man now..

Just because he didn't go with the kid Zastrzny in the playoff has nothing to do with bringing him North to start the 2017 season.

I think they will resign Wood and maybe look to add another Lefty if Montgomery gets the SP role..

So, they could probably have 4 RH and 3 LH in pen
(especially if roster expands to 26)
And I believe they'll add a closer

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
With all these band aids in the bullpen you will wish you had Kenley Jansen next post season

chibears55

Liked Posts:
With all these band aids in the bullpen you will wish you had Kenley Jansen next post season
I already hope they add Jansen or bring Chapman back..

I'm not quite on the Edwards for closer bandwagon
And
If they didn't trust Rondon to close out for them in July going forward last year, not sure why they would now

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dexter-fowler-should-age-well-regardless-of-the-defense/

Fowler’s bat should remain an asset over the course of his contract, and there’s some evidence that he will be able to hold onto his numbers better than some. How high you go on a contract is going to depend on where you think his defensive talent lies. If Fowler ages well, he’ll only need to be produce a 2.4 WAR in 2017 — and experience typical age-related decline — to be worth $70 million. That would be without an overly positive look at his defense. If you’re a believer in Fowler’s defense, his value might be $20 million or more above that figure. Defense doesn’t often get paid, but Fowler’s contract might reveal where the market thinks Fowler’s glove is now and into the future.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I already hope they add Jansen or bring Chapman back..

I'm not quite on the Edwards for closer bandwagon
And
If they didn't trust Rondon to close out for them in July going forward last year, not sure why they would now

Hector's BB and SO %'s both improved last year. But his HR % went up also. FIP went up to 3.50 from 2.68 and 2.21 the year before.

He has had mixed results. You would expect a over all improvement by controling the strike zone more but it was off set by a jump of 1 point in his HR's. He had 6 combined the previous 2 years. 8 last year.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
suggested trade from espn

Chicago Cubs trade OF Jorge Soler to the Seattle Mariners for LHP Luiz Gohara.

So what will the Cubs do? One thing that seems clear is there’s no room for Soler in 2017 with Kyle Schwarber, Jason Heyward, Ben Zobrist and Albert Almora in the outfield. He’s still more “looks good in a uniform” than an actual good baseball player, but these teams have traded with each other before, and the Mariners need some youth in the outfield. A lineup that swung too left-handed in 2016 would now have more balance:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
from rosenthal

The Cubs have done background work on Kenley Jansen, arguably the top free agent closer, but it doesn’t appear they’re seriously pursuing him, major league sources told Rosenthal. The World Series champions don’t want to overspend on a closer because it could preclude them from making a big signing in the near future (Japanese superstar Shohei Otani, for instance), notes Rosenthal. That would seemingly rule out the Cubs re-signing Chapman, who joins Jansen as one of the two best relievers available. MLBTR projects record contracts for both Jansen and Chapman, and Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer has already indicated that the team isn’t necessarily looking to splurge on a reliever.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
suggested trade from espn

Chicago Cubs trade OF Jorge Soler to the Seattle Mariners for LHP Luiz Gohara.

So what will the Cubs do? One thing that seems clear is there’s no room for Soler in 2017 with Kyle Schwarber, Jason Heyward, Ben Zobrist and Albert Almora in the outfield. He’s still more “looks good in a uniform” than an actual good baseball player, but these teams have traded with each other before, and the Mariners need some youth in the outfield. A lineup that swung too left-handed in 2016 would now have more balance:

6. Luiz Gohara, LHP, 19, A-/A

The Mariners signed Gohara back in 2012, giving him a bonus of $880,000, the largest ever for a Brazilian player. Now, four years later and still just 19-years-old, Gohara remains one of the biggest risk/reward prospects in the system. In 53.2 innings for the Everett Aqua Sox last year, he struck out an impressive 10.40 batters per nine innings, while walking an atrocious 5.37 batters per nine innings. This is Luiz Gohara in a nutshell–flashes of brilliance followed up by head-in-hands frustration.

Gohara’s pure stuff is phenomenal. From a three-quarter arm slot, he can rush it up to the plate as high as 98 mph, and typically sits between 92-95. His best off-speed pitch happens to be a slider, which, as John Sickels puts it, “varies from plus to poor.” Scouts are still out on his changeup. Some believe it has the potential to be his best pitch, while others have called it too firm without enough late fade or consistency in the delivery.

This discrepancy between scouting reports reins true for all facets of his game. Some see a future number two starter, while others see a Double-A washout. A lot of this comes back to his body type. At 6-foot-3, 210 pounds, Gohara is as big as he is unathletic. This makes it very hard for him to repeat his delivery, hurting his command and his overall stock as a prospect. If he can learn to throw strikes, there is no limit to how good Gohara can be.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would want something more polished for a major league player. Like him or not he is a major league player with some top end to meet. His main down fall is his inability to stay healthy.

That kid is just tools still. He has not put it together.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
from rosenthal

Them not going after Chapman pretty much signaled that they were not investing into the pen.

I don't see them going this off season not making a impact move. The question is which position they target.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Most closers are 1 inning pitchers.

This reminds me of 2007-2008 with Marmol. He had shut down stuff and was the goto guy to shut down a inning. Wood was the closer and was a 1 inning guy. Right now they have Edwards as that hot ticket arm who can shut down a inning.

I'm fine if Rondon bounces back. But I'm looking at the offseason like this:

They let Fowler bounce. Sign a LH platoon partner for Almora.

They release Hammel. Insert a cheaper Montgomery into his slot.

Don't sign a closer and keep the pen inhouse.

Now how is this team going to do next year? You band aid the parts with cheaper options and move on?

My opinion is they need to make a investment. They are losing Hammel, Fowler, Wood, Chapman and Cahill. 25 mil approx and add 0? I'm having a hard time with that.

One, Zobrist (6 million more), Heyward (7 million more), and Arrieta (at least six million more) is an extra 19 million from what they made last year. Add in Rondon, Strop at a million apiece and then add in the replacements on the roster for Fowler, etc and then money is neutral.

Two, the problem with long term deals is the Cubs have long term money already committed to guys like Lester, Heyward, and you project to have to pay a ton in arbitration to the Bryant/Schwarber/Russell group so you can't just throw around tens of millions every winter.

Three, my point is you win the WS with Chapman able to get you seven outs in game 5 of the WS but with Melancon, you still need other arms. I get paying a guy 15+ million if in the playoffs he can get me 6 outs but I don't get paying a guy 10+ million if he's getting me three outs. A ton of guys can get me three outs for a lot less money than that.

DanTown

Liked Posts:

If you get to June/July and the bullpen hasn't had anyone take a real step forward then you go in on the trade market for a guy (maybe Miller? Wade Davis? etc) that is an elite arm. The Cubs are going to have to pay for SP at some point in the next two winters with long term money so they need to not throw a ton of money at a reliever.

The Cubs are not the Dodgers yet in terms of money they bring in via television. They're also funding a huge project in terms of renovations as well as already being a top team. My main problem with Jansen isn't really the cost in dollars but the opportunity cost of this team continuing to pass on first round picks.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Rondon wasn't really that bad of a closer before we got Chapman. Maybe that messed with his head a little. Might be good if he comes out offspring knowing the job is his.

I'm a little more concerned about a solid lead off bat. Sure, Almora can easily replace Fowler in center, but can/will he ever hit good enough to be at the top of the lineup?

Good thing there is lots of time to get these things figured out.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Rondon wasn't really that bad of a closer before we got Chapman. Maybe that messed with his head a little. Might be good if he comes out offspring knowing the job is his.

I'm a little more concerned about a solid lead off bat. Sure, Almora can easily replace Fowler in center, but can/will he ever hit good enough to be at the top of the lineup?

Good thing there is lots of time to get these things figured out.

Rondon I would like to see use a change and/or a cutter to mix in with his fastball more. Keep the slider for strike 2 situations.

Almora would be a 8 hitter.

Heyward would be interesting in CF.

Career marks: 10% BB 18%SO. The SO have hovered around 15% over the last few years.

Now this is not the first time that he has gone through this:

2011. .221 with a .260 BABIP
2012 .269 with a .319 BABIP
2016 .230 with a .266 BABIP

his BBand SO % have been stable. What has changed has been his BABIP and ISO.

So the eye is good but the hit tool needs a adjustment.

If he figures it out I would like to see if he could lead off.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I'm fine with Almora in CF and batting 8th. Heyward's focus needs to be on fixing his swing. Losing Fowler will hurt - but if Heyward can improve offensively, it will minimize the blow. And although JHey will primarily play RF, he'll need to get spot starts in CF from time to time.

We need to move Soler. We just don't have a spot for him. Zobrist and Babe will need to be in the lineup as much as possible. We have too much of a log jam right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm fine with Almora in CF and batting 8th. Heyward's focus needs to be on fixing his swing. Losing Fowler will hurt - but if Heyward can improve offensively, it will minimize the blow. And although JHey will primarily play RF, he'll need to get spot starts in CF from time to time.

We need to move Soler. We just don't have a spot for him. Zobrist and Babe will need to be in the lineup as much as possible. We have too much of a log jam right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im seeing your opinion based off of Baez playing 2B every day.

The majority of his AB's would be against RHP.

Vs left: .311/.375/.475
Vs right .258/.288/.401

It is a sigifanct drop off.

Others:
Bryant
Vs left: .314/.419/.641
Vs right .284/.372/.523

Russell
Vs left .223/.333/.486
Vs right .244/.317/.399

I would target OBA and SLG on these guys and see that Russell is still hovering around .300 or higher. Bryant is elite. Baez has real issues with taking walks. He crushes LHP but it is off set by his inadequate walk rate. Thus if he starts to see more righties it just lowers his overall impact.

He still is a role player. He needs to increase his walk rate. That is something that he can control with being more selective at the plate vs trying to attack the zone.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
To put into perspective: if he ran Russell and Heywards walk rate of 10% last year his OBA would have been .372. Which is elite production and makes him a superstar.

That is what he needs to do to progress to the next level.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
To put into perspective: if he ran Russell and Heywards walk rate of 10% last year his OBA would have been .372. Which is elite production and makes him a superstar.

That is what he needs to do to progress to the next level.

Baez only gets to a 3 ball count in 14.8% of his at bats so the idea he'd ever be a 10% walk rate guy is so drastically different than what he is now that I can't imagine what that even looks like. Him being a guy who walks a lot doesn't really make sense with what his skill set is, which is insanely quick hands that allow him to make contact with pitches that the average hitter simply cannot.

He simply needs to strike out less. I don't care what he does in the other 80% of his at bats if he strikes out less.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
What Baez needs to do is continue to quiet his swing and remember that a 400' ft HR scores the same amount of runs as the 450' HR. If he does that and continues to go no-stride with 2 strikes he has the opportunity to quiet his thoughts and be more selective.