Offseason discussion/rumors

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I just think they have to have Contreras catch him.

Unless they want to sign a veteran catcher, but then they are eating a ton of Montero money.

In a way they're already eating Montero's money. They just paid him $14mil to sit on the bench during the playoffs because he's such a defensive liability. Now, maybe whatever was ailing his back gets fixed during the offseason, but only the FO knows how likely that is.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Montero as a backup is fine during the regular season, but the problem is that if the Cubs run into the wrong type of team (like the Indians) in the playoffs they simply can't afford to play him. They need a viable veteran backup who can call a game, play solid defense, and still control a running game. A.J. Ellis comes to mind as a potential option.
Jedstein seem like slackers to me. I doubt they have a good plan for the catching situation.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
In a way they're already eating Montero's money. They just paid him $14mil to sit on the bench during the playoffs because he's such a defensive liability. Now, maybe whatever was ailing his back gets fixed during the offseason, but only the FO knows how likely that is.

I agree he is a defensive liability, the million dollar question is why do people think Schwarber is even worse than Montero when I dont think people have seen him catch 5 games.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The thing with Montero is there's a couple issues

1) they are going to want a lefty C for platoon situations.
2) there's not a ton of good C
3) they are already paying him regardless

Your FA LH C options are as follows
Alex Avila
Jason Castro
Steve Clevenger
Hank Conger(switch)
Dioner Navarro(switch)
A.J. Pierzynski
Jarrod Saltalamacchia(switch)
Matt Wieters(switch)

Of those Wieters would be interesting but he's not going to sign as a back up. Avila hit .213/.359/.373. Saltalamacchia hit .171/.284/.346. Pierzynski hit .219/.243/.304. Navarro hit .207/.265/.322. Conger hit .194/.265/.306. Clevenger hit .221/.303/.309. Castro hit .210/.307/.377. So, in that context the .216/.327/.357 Montero hit really isn't that bad. And of course that ignores stuff like framing which Montero is pretty good at.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Lester (Contreras)
Hendricks (Montero)
Arrieta (Contreras)
Hammel/Montgomery/Lackey (platoon based on batters)

Sign Chris Iannetta to be a third catcher/backup for flexibility if Kyle isn't healthy enough to be a platoon catcher. If he is healthy enough, work him in with Lackey/Montgomery/Hammel.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thought I'd put this here rather than start a thread for it. Jake shaved his beard, and looks....different.

CwmfEALUAAAX6CR.jpg:large

From here. Yes, I know he does this every offseason. Probably waited until after the parade so people would believe it was really him on the bus.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The thing with Montero is there's a couple issues

1) they are going to want a lefty C for platoon situations.
2) there's not a ton of good C
3) they are already paying him regardless

Your FA LH C options are as follows
Alex Avila
Jason Castro
Steve Clevenger
Hank Conger(switch)
Dioner Navarro(switch)
A.J. Pierzynski
Jarrod Saltalamacchia(switch)
Matt Wieters(switch)

Of those Wieters would be interesting but he's not going to sign as a back up. Avila hit .213/.359/.373. Saltalamacchia hit .171/.284/.346. Pierzynski hit .219/.243/.304. Navarro hit .207/.265/.322. Conger hit .194/.265/.306. Clevenger hit .221/.303/.309. Castro hit .210/.307/.377. So, in that context the .216/.327/.357 Montero hit really isn't that bad. And of course that ignores stuff like framing which Montero is pretty good at.

They are not going to platoon. Personal catcher is another story.

I would start Contreras 3 out of 5 games. Lackey did not connect with him at all and seemed more comfortable with Montero. Jake adapted to him and Hendricks credits him with having him goto and trust his curve. Which helped him progress into what he is now.

If they go with a new guy he should not be limited like Montero was against lefties. Basically he comes in to catch a starter regardless who is facing them. That factor made Montero a liability as he was a limited player.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs offered Fowler QO of 17.2 mil

I hope he takes it or they work out a deal

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs offered Fowler QO of 17.2 mil

I hope he takes it or they work out a deal

I doubt he will as he wants to get PAID. And this is the year for him to do that as the FA class is relatively light and he's coming off a great year.

He's got to be just a little bit gun shy, though. Last year he didn't get signed until the last minute and probably should have just taken the QO and called it good.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I doubt he will as he wants to get PAID. And this is the year for him to do that as the FA class is relatively light and he's coming off a great year.

He's got to be just a little bit gun shy, though. Last year he didn't get signed until the last minute and probably should have just taken the QO and called it good.
17 mil not getting paid?

I know he looking for a multi year deal but with QO on the table(draft pick), it going to be like last year..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
17 mil not getting paid?

I know he looking for a multi year deal but with QO on the table(draft pick), it going to be like last year.

It won't be like last year, even with the QO, for a bunch of reasons. Last year Fowler had a very good year at 3.3 WAR but that was immediately prefaced by a stretch where he was basically a 2 WAR player for 3 years. By amassing a 4.7 WAR season following a strong 2015 this guy has shown 2 year sustainability of holding or improving offensive numbers all the while playing the best defense of his career. Then you have the competition. Last year there were a ton of FA OF, thus year Fowler is the second best OF on the market after Cespedes. Teams are going to look at him as a 3.5 WAR player in 2017 with not much of a drop off in in 2018. Depending on how many suitors there are for his services, and their should be many, $15 mil AAV over 4 years is probably the bottom of his market. If the 4 years aren't there someone will overpay for 3. My best guess is 4 years $64 mil, or in the 3 year scenario somewhere around $48-$52 mil. To sum it up you're looking at a guy that you can pencil in and about a .350 wOBA to hit leadoff with 15 HR pop and who has moved from a negative defensive player to a positive one. He's getting paid handsomely from someone.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
It won't be like last year, even with the QO, for a bunch of reasons. Last year Fowler had a very good year at 3.3 WAR but that was immediately prefaced by a stretch where he was basically a 2 WAR player for 3 years. By amassing a 4.7 WAR season following a strong 2015 this guy has shown 2 year sustainability of holding or improving offensive numbers all the while playing the best defense of his career. Then you have the competition. Last year there were a ton of FA OF, thus year Fowler is the second best OF on the market after Cespedes. Teams are going to look at him as a 3.5 WAR player in 2017 with not much of a drop off in in 2018. Depending on how many suitors there are for his services, and their should be many, $15 mil AAV over 4 years is probably the bottom of his market. If the 4 years aren't there someone will overpay for 3. My best guess is 4 years $64 mil, or in the 3 year scenario somewhere around $48-$52 mil. To sum it up you're looking at a guy that you can pencil in and about a .350 wOBA to hit leadoff with 15 HR pop and who has moved from a negative defensive player to a positive one. He's getting paid handsomely from someone.
And as some already asked..
Is he success the last 2 years due to the team he surrounded by and playing in WF
Or
Has he really turned it around that much

I'm sure he will get a couple of decent offers, and I think the cubs will be one of them

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
And as some already asked..
Is he success the last 2 years due to the team he surrounded by and playing in WF
Or
Has he really turned it around that much

I'm sure he will get a couple of decent offers, and I think the cubs will be one of them

I'll be shocked if the Cubs make him an offer unless they do something like package Almora and Soler for a pitcher. They simply have too many cost controlled outfielders to give him a multi year premium deal. Dont forget that Eloy Jiminez is expected sometime in 2018 as well.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Interesting. Now as a white sox fan I pass on Fowler because of the QO

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not surprising that they made a Q offer to him. Almora is a 4th OF. He is there for his D. Happ is a year out and would have to be rushed. Not to mention they would be better off letting him man CF for a full year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sure they well. It's not going to be a 50/50 split but Maddon will start Montero vs righties who are particularly tough on Contreras.

I'm having a hard time believing they will keep him after going public with his issues. He is most likely correct but you don't shit on a world championship right after it happens.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'll be shocked if the Cubs make him an offer unless they do something like package Almora and Soler for a pitcher. They simply have too many cost controlled outfielders to give him a multi year premium deal. Dont forget that Eloy Jiminez is expected sometime in 2018 as well.
That pretty much my thinking. ...
Cuvs have no real needs besides SP..

They need to get younger SP
Its not there via FA

Only way to get it is thru trades..
My guess is Soler is dangling out there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Not surprising that they made a Q offer to him. Almora is a 4th OF. He is there for his D. Happ is a year out and would have to be rushed. Not to mention they would be better off letting him man CF for a full year.

Dismissing Almora as a just a fourth OF is nonsense. He's a 2 WAR player on defense alone. If he manages 100 wRC+ he's a 3 WAR player, easily.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The one thing that could change everything is if and/or when the Nippon-Ham Fighters post Shohei Otani. He's a 2 way player and an offensive force but if he does come to to MLB conventional wisdom is that he'll be a strictly a pitcher, although if he did sign with the Cubs you never can tell about that. This is a legitimate ace pitcher at 22 years old with a 1.86 ERA and .957 WHIP over 20 starts AND a legit hitter slashing .322/.416/.588 in 382 PA. If he's posted the top contenders are the usual suspects in the Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-good-is-shohei-otani/