Offseason discussion/rumors

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
More about timing with Hill's usage. 120 inning is a fair assessment. But you have to realize they have McCarthy and Kazmir on the wings. This is a team that is capable of absorbing a injury

Easily they are. Last year they were the most injured team in the history of the game IIRC and they put the Cubs on the brink. Imagine if they are just 25% healthier than they were last year.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Easily they are. Last year they were the most injured team in the history of the game IIRC and they put the Cubs on the brink. Imagine if they are just 25% healthier than they were last year.

Schwarber missing in that series was a bigger impact player than anyone they had on the shelf. The Dodgers feasted on a weak West. They did get a lot of injuries, but they had their best for the Cubs. The Dodgers should be their next year and they are plenty capable but I dont think their injuries affected the playoffs where only so many of your players actually play.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Schwarber missing in that series was a bigger impact player than anyone they had on the shelf. The Dodgers feasted on a weak West. They did get a lot of injuries, but they had their best for the Cubs. The Dodgers should be their next year and they are plenty capable but I dont think their injuries affected the playoffs where only so many of your players actually play.

It affected it from a gas standpoint. True, no Kyle bat. But no Kyle glove either. Who knows. But the point is the Dodgers by default almost have to be better this year than last.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It affected it from a gas standpoint. True, no Kyle bat. But no Kyle glove either. Who knows. But the point is the Dodgers by default almost have to be better this year than last.

Cubs pen will be deeper than most of baseball

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I find myself wondering if the Giants would cut bait on Kyle Crick which is probably an odd thing to think about but whatever, that's what happens when you have to wait til april for baseball. Crick for those not into prospect-y things was rated #33/66 in 2013/14 by BA, #86/32/79 in 2013/14/15 by mlb.com, and #65/38/88 in 2013/14/15 by BP. He's a 6-4 220 lb lefty. The pros here.... he throws anywhere from 92 to 99 on his fastball. That's largely where the pros end right now. In 464.2 IP in the minors he has a 10.2 k/9 and a 6.2 bb/9 to go along with a surprisingly not horrid 3.39 ERA given that walk rate.

As for why the Giants might cut bait, he's already on the 40 man. They added him prior to last year which if I'm not mistaken means they will be using his second of 3 options after this forthcoming spring training because it's rather doubtful he makes their team given where he is right now with his control. That plus they have Tyler Beede who they legitimately might call up in 2017 who isn't on their 40 man as well as Josh Johnson rehabbing. In other words, his depth isn't that impactful especially when they have a pretty solid 5 guys right now plus some interesting depth behind them.

As for why the cubs would want him... aside from the obvious upside if he figures things out, the cubs presently sit at 37 on the 40 man. Even if they pick up a guy or two for bullpen competition for ST, they will still have room for someone presumably a starter. Crick also fits the mold of finding the next "Andrew Miller." Miller also had command issues in the minors with 8.7 k/9 and 5.1 bb/9 to go with a 3.70 ERA over 311.2 IP. Like Miller, Crick is a tall lefty with a fastball slider mix(also throws fringy curve and change up). Not saying Crick is a lock to be the next Miller but then if he were, we wouldn't be having this conversation. He's been stuck in AA the past 3 years give or take so you could probably give him a shot at AAA this year. Getting guys out hasn't really been an issue. It's been keeping them off base via walks. So, in that vein he also would fit the mold of a depth starter with options the cubs are looking for.

I think something like Szczur for Crick makes sense to both teams though frankly that might be an over pay by the cubs. That's not to say Szczur has immense value but more that Crick doesn't really have any right now. The giants could use the OF depth replacing either Gorkys Hernandez(career .205/.269/.335 hitter) or Mac Williamson(career .222/.298/.382 hitter). Szczur is fairly doubtful to make the cubs roster anyway so it wouldn't be a huge loss. The cubs also have rather pitiful LHP depth above A ball. Crick would certainly be a lottery ticket but he might work as a starter or a reliever both of which would be useful to the cubs from the LH side.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

I dont know, thats a big outfield in LA, dont know how effective Schwarber would have been out there, and I highly doubt Maddon would have sat Heyward more so it would have probably screwed up Javy's introduction to the world.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
As far as these signings go, I am all for these reclamation projects in the pitching department. They basically changed the entire pen the second half anyway. I think there will be more rest stops on the DL to shut some pitchers down this time around, but as long as they dont sign any more position players I will be happy. I actually would have preferred to not even sign Jay for what they paid fowler the past two years. Losing Montero and MsStella would end my wish list for this offseason, they are probably just waiting for Lester to choose his free agent catcher.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Apropos of nothing, I wonder of the Koji signing might in a small way be related to courting Otani. There's not a lot of japanesse players in the majors/minors right now. Using out of the park 17 to quickly judge we're talking about Junichi Tazawa with the red sox, Koji obviously, Tanaka with the Yankees, Ichiro, Yuhei Nakaushiro with Arizona, Toru Murata with Cleveland, Kenta Maeda with the dodgers, Kawasaki who was last with the cubs, Hisashi Iwakuma with the M's, Nori Aoki also last with the M's, and Darvish with the Rangers. If I'm not mistaken that's the entire list.

I have to believe that those guys would largely be pretty close nit given they are a some what small group and they all share a common culture. Assuming Koji and Kawasaki have enjoyed their time on the cubs that really couldn't hurt and assuming the monetary situation all being equal it's reasonable to expect Otani to consult that group of guys about their experiences thus far.

That's not to say I think that was the primary motivation behind signing Koji. I think he's likely to be an effective guy and possibly really good out of the bullpen. But as an added side benefit, it probably doesn't hurt having some name recognizable japanesse players playing for you before courting one of the biggest to come over in some time.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't have an issue with him hitting leadoff but then I don't think the pitcher should bat 9. We should have someone in the 9 spot who can get on base for Kyle as he will certainly hit 30HR+ per season. Maybe Russell or Baez in the 9 spot.

Schwarber
Bryant
Rizzo
Zobrist
Russell
Heyward
Contreras
Pitcher
Jay

Almora and Baez on bench subbing in.

I can see Almora getting more playing time as he becomes more comfortable. Baez would come in and rotate days off for guys. Zobrist I would expect to get his playing time cut the most due to his age and keeping him fresh for the year. He was over used last year and needed extended time off.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Apropos of nothing, I wonder of the Koji signing might in a small way be related to courting Otani. There's not a lot of japanesse players in the majors/minors right now. Using out of the park 17 to quickly judge we're talking about Junichi Tazawa with the red sox, Koji obviously, Tanaka with the Yankees, Ichiro, Yuhei Nakaushiro with Arizona, Toru Murata with Cleveland, Kenta Maeda with the dodgers, Kawasaki who was last with the cubs, Hisashi Iwakuma with the M's, Nori Aoki also last with the M's, and Darvish with the Rangers. If I'm not mistaken that's the entire list.

I have to believe that those guys would largely be pretty close nit given they are a some what small group and they all share a common culture. Assuming Koji and Kawasaki have enjoyed their time on the cubs that really couldn't hurt and assuming the monetary situation all being equal it's reasonable to expect Otani to consult that group of guys about their experiences thus far.

That's not to say I think that was the primary motivation behind signing Koji. I think he's likely to be an effective guy and possibly really good out of the bullpen. But as an added side benefit, it probably doesn't hurt having some name recognizable japanesse players playing for you before courting one of the biggest to come over in some time.

Only a 1 year deal. Affects that offseason very little.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I just dont think our last Japanese pitcher had too good of a time here, had to pay the translator to go to the mound with Bosio, so you need to also consider the bad things being said about Chicago too.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe if it comes to that. But I would think Heyward will be re-tooled, and the lineup will go, or should go in my opinion

1) Almora Jr./Heyward
2) Rizzo
3) Bryant
4) Schwarber
5) Zobrist
6) Contreras
7) Baez
8) Pitcher
9) Russell

With three big bats plus Zobrist you gotta bat the pitcher 8th imo. Strike early and get the baserunners ahead of them if possible in the later innings. I know madden prefers the Rizzo sandwich, and maybe the left right doesn't matter, but I prefer the Bryant sandwich going forward.

So I don't think Baby Ruth at #1 is the worst idea ever. But these are the comparisons.

1) Schwarber
2) Bryant
3) Rizzo
4) Zobrist
5) Contreras
6) Russsell
7) Baez (fences or bust with nothing to hit in front of pitcher, its fine for him)
8) Pitcher
9) Almora/Heyward

That lineup certainly gets J-Hey pitches to hit.

Its easy to trade Soler after a season in which you can see you absolutely want Zobrist/Schwarber both in the lineup. Put Heyward in center and let him range, the defense may suffer some, but you paid Heyward to take that away. Play your LF/RF wide and dare them to gap it, then let J-Hey earn his money.

but if Schwarber hits 40 home runs from the leadoff spot that becomes fucking stupid.

Daring them to hit it to middle gaps will just feed your best defensive players anyway, Russell and Baez and Heyward.

Obviously Zobrist is another option there at #1, especially with a hitter in the 9 hole.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Heyward is a shitty hitter and has no business being at the top of any lineup. Did you guys miss last season?

Heyward also takes bad routes to the ball when he plays CF. He is like Adam Eaton. Good RF, shitty CF

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What the fuck La Stella.

Look...I get that they made a bet for a tattoo, but there are some bets you have to have some compassion on your bro's and come up with something else. Think of the leverage you would have. You can't make him get that CCU tattoo, jesus.

On your worst enemy maybe. I think La Stella is a fucking douche now.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Heyward is a shitty hitter and has no business being at the top of any lineup. Did you guys miss last season?

Heyward also takes bad routes to the ball when he plays CF. He is like Adam Eaton. Good RF, shitty CF

I get that you don't like him as a hitter. That makes sense. But this is just false.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
What the fuck La Stella.

Look...I get that they made a bet for a tattoo, but there are some bets you have to have some compassion on your bro's and come up with something else. Think of the leverage you would have. You can't make him get that CCU tattoo, jesus.

On your worst enemy maybe. I think La Stella is a fucking douche now.

Is this posted in the wrong thread? Or in repsonse to something way back?

What does any of this mean?