Offseason discussion/rumors

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Disappointing but it's pretty clear the Cubs weren't interested in him on a one year pact. Any guesses on money? I'd say $8 mil.
They were very interested...

@CSNMooney: #Cubs made it a difficult decision for Tyson Ross, essentially finishing second with offer similar to Texas' one-year, $6 million structure.

@CSNMooney: But #Cubs couldn't match #Rangers' access/proximity to TMI Sports Medicine in Arlington as Tyson Ross recovers from surgery.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I get it if he was not putting 100% after his injury going hard into 1B a few years back. He has had little luck with leg injuries.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
KC re-signed Danny Duffy to a pretty reasonable extension. There's a pretty weird dichotomy going on here. Duffy and Strasburg have both signed really reasonable extensions. However, on the flip side any pitcher in FA these days is getting insane money. Maybe there's hope for an Arriea extension if they work off the duffy/Strasburg deals.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
With the Duffy signing the value of Q just went even higher in a trade scenario.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
With the Duffy signing the value of Q just went even higher in a trade scenario.

Well, the radio in the jeep was on the score, after listening to the playoff game on the way home from the hospital sunday. They were talking with Levine about the convention and saying both teams would be nuts to pass on Quintana for Baez and they did not think the cubs would do it. Now I see no reason for them to do it, it might be different if Lester or Jake have some arm trouble this year, and we all know the sux dont want to deal with the cubs, but it would be interesting to see Javy get the full time gig somewhere.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Well, the radio in the jeep was on the score, after listening to the playoff game on the way home from the hospital sunday. They were talking with Levine about the convention and saying both teams would be nuts to pass on Quintana for Baez and they did not think the cubs would do it. Now I see no reason for them to do it, it might be different if Lester or Jake have some arm trouble this year, and we all know the sux dont want to deal with the cubs, but it would be interesting to see Javy get the full time gig somewhere.

Not on any world but your own would the White Sox give up Q for Baez straight up. But hey, start the flame wars some more, will ya?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Not on any world but your own would the White Sox give up Q for Baez straight up. But hey, start the flame wars some more, will ya?

In fairness Levine may very well have said that. I find him to be an idiot most days. In a much more plausible conversation I heard Jim Bowden say last night that the White Sox are said to be looking for a nearly identical return for Quintana to what they got for Adam Eaton. That would be a top 50 prospect, a top 10 prospect and a young arm that projects to MLB likely as a reliever. It was an overpay for Eaton but it would not be an overpay for Quintana whose numbers are about as stable as any pitcher in baseball.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Doubt the Sox will get a top 10, top 50 and a quality BP arm. Not many teams have that kicking around.

Teams that do.

Rockies seem to be in turn over vs contending.

Pirates live off their farm and I doubt will do it.

Yanks just pulled a heist to bring their farm into shape and to help keep out of the tax in the future. That feels counter productive.

So Sox might as well build around him. He is their ace now

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Doubt the Sox will get a top 10, top 50 and a quality BP arm. Not many teams have that kicking around.

Teams that do.

Rockies seem to be in turn over vs contending.

Pirates live off their farm and I doubt will do it.

Yanks just pulled a heist to bring their farm into shape and to help keep out of the tax in the future. That feels counter productive.

So Sox might as well build around him. He is their ace now
I agree, it's either the Yankees, Braves, Dodgers, or they hold. No need to rush and if he performs well again, the value of him will skyrocket.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I agree, it's either the Yankees, Braves, Dodgers, or they hold. No need to rush and if he performs well again, the value of him will skyrocket.

Teams get desperate at the deadline sometimes, especially if they're that one pitcher short. If they don't get that Eaton-like package I wait if I'm them. His value will not decrease that much by next offseason and could increase at the deadline. Very little risk.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Teams tend to deal for expiring in mid season. Cheaper trade cost and they don't have to flip the payday next year.

Most teams go after long term in the off season.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I don't even think the Braves know what they are doing. I for sure can't figure out why they are lining up wheel chairs on the mound.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I don't even think the Braves know what they are doing. I for sure can't figure out why they are lining up wheel chairs on the mound.

I kind of love what Atlanta is doing. Signing Colon and Dickey takes pressure off their young pitchers like Foltynewicz and Blair while they develop. If guys progress, either in MLB or the minors they can trade those guys at the deadline. I think if guys like Swanson, Freeman, Enciarte and Kemp play how they can, they're going to win some games. Without anymore moves I'd say they're at about .500 and they can really start to make decisions next offseason. They're definitely short at some critical positions like C, 2B and even RF (not a big Markakis fan) but the pitching should keep them in as many games as the lack of talent keeps them out of. I completely get what they're doing. whether it works or not is another story.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I kind of love what Atlanta is doing. Signing Colon and Dickey takes pressure off their young pitchers like Foltynewicz and Blair while they develop. If guys progress, either in MLB or the minors they can trade those guys at the deadline. I think if guys like Swanson, Freeman, Enciarte and Kemp play how they can, they're going to win some games. Without anymore moves I'd say they're at about .500 and they can really start to make decisions next offseason. They're definitely short at some critical positions like C, 2B and even RF (not a big Markakis fan) but the pitching should keep them in as many games as the lack of talent keeps them out of. I completely get what they're doing. whether it works or not is another story.

Is anyone really going to deal for Colon/Dickey? I find that to be a dubious idea. I'm personally of the belief you have to let guys take their lumps in the majors. I think trading for Garcia was fine because he could net them a decent player if he rebounds. But if I were them I'd rather give a young guy a shot at the #4/5 slots.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Offer the Sox
Candelario Underwood Black and Young
All top 30 for Cubs

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cubs Claim Dylan Floro

The Cubs have claimed righty Dylan Floro off waivers from the Rays, per a club announcement. He had been designated for assignment recently by Tampa Bay.

Floro, 26, reached the bigs for the first time last year, working 15 innings over which he struck out 14 and walked five. He showed a 92.5 mph average heater and drew plenty of grounders, so there certainly seems to be some promise in his future.

Indeed, the control artist was quite good on the year at Triple-A, where he threw fifty frames of 2.88 ERA ball with 7.2 K/9 and 1.6 BB/9. Long a starter, Floro had converted to being a full-time reliever after struggling in his first attempt at the highest level of the minors in 2015.

I'm curious if the cubs convert him back to a starter. He has their preferred mix of sinker/4 seam/change/slider and his walk rate quite good. His K rate isn't amazing but with an injury he might be a decent #5

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Offer the Sox
All top 30 for Cubs

Lol. Come on that is cast off. Try Baez, Eloy and Edwards and even they may pull the trigger.

Cubs would be worse off by a long shot if they did it.

Trades like that never work out.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs Claim Dylan Floro

I'm curious if the cubs convert him back to a starter. He has their preferred mix of sinker/4 seam/change/slider and his walk rate quite good. His K rate isn't amazing but with an injury he might be a decent #5

Sounds like another Adam Warren

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Offer the Sox
All top 30 for Cubs

The White Sox would love that offer. you want Robertson for that right?