Offseason discussion/rumors

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Rays shipped starter Drew Smyly to the Mariners earlier this month, and they might not be done dealing veterans from their rotation, a major league source told Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe. It’s doubtful the Rays will trade either ace Chris Archer or Alex Cobb, whose value is down because he hasn’t reestablished it since undergoing Tommy John surgery in 2015, observes Cafardo. That leaves right-hander Jake Odorizzi as a vet who could end up on the move. Odorizzi’s name has come up in rumors throughout the winter after a season in which he posted a 3.69 ERA with 7.96 K/9 against 2.59 BB/9 in a career-high 187 2/3 innings. The soon-to-be 27-year-old is under team control via arbitration through the 2019 campaign.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/01/cafardos-latest-rays-indians-bautista-arroyo-hanigan.html

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That is more of a trade that makes sense to me. Put Montgomery back into the swing role and start building up realistic options looking ahead.

Right now they are just blowing up injury reserve players vs realistic long term plans.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Brett Anderson excite anyone?
Sounds like he on his way to Chicago

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Bosio has done more with worse. He is depth. Not a bad back end. I believe he was injured a lot last year.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Bosio has done more with worse. He is depth. Not a bad back end. I believe he was injured a lot last year.
If this move puts Montgomery back into the relief role/6th man , I'm happy.
I like him there better then the 5th spot, and makes bullpen better.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It is still in competition. Anderson was running a 5.8 SO/9 in 2015 when he pitched 180 innings.

To be honest I really like neither. Montgomery doesn't break 90 with his fastball and Anderson doesn't miss enough bats for my tastes.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Anderson has been pretty good when he's been healthy which is almost never. Still they are only taking a $3.5 mil gamble on him.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seems like a bit of an over pay on the Dodgers part but good for TB. Gives them more options.

Forsythe has been a top 5 or 6 WAR player at second for the past couple of years and Friedman traded for him in Tampa. He is a favorite of his.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Forsythe has been a top 5 or 6 WAR player at second for the past couple of years and Friedman traded for him in Tampa. He is a favorite of his.

Eh... I mean he was worth 4 fWAR in 2015 and 2.8 last year. Before that he wasn't really worth talking about. He's been worth 7.9 in his career over 2280 PAs which equates to a little over 2 fWAR per year. On top of that you only control him for 2 more years. Obviously they had a big need and he's been decent enough the past 2 years. All I'm saying is JDL is a big give up for that.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
That's a crazy deal....no idea LA was that desperate.

Actually I think it's a pretty good deal for LA. They desperately needed someone for 2B and a righty bat. Granted Forsythe is not Dozier but he's more than serviceable and Minnesota wanted 2 more prospects on top of De Leon for Dozier reportedly including one of Bellinger, Verdugo or Calhoun. To me the loser in this is Minnesota as Dozier's value is likely not going to stay this high, especially with only 2 years of control left.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Dodgers arent that high DeLeon anymore and it seems the league wasnt chomping at the bit for him. He will be 25 and they find it strange the Dodgers barely used him last year when they were desperate for pitching. Numerous reports are he fell out out of favor with the Dodgers and the league was leery of why.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Eh... I mean he was worth 4 fWAR in 2015 and 2.8 last year. Before that he wasn't really worth talking about. He's been worth 7.9 in his career over 2280 PAs which equates to a little over 2 fWAR per year. On top of that you only control him for 2 more years. Obviously they had a big need and he's been decent enough the past 2 years. All I'm saying is JDL is a big give up for that.

He was worth talking about briefly when he broke into the league with San Diego. He was an offensive 2B from the beginning, used to add some stolen bases with pop. Was a fantasy boon at the end of his first season.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:

2017 Cy Young Candidate: Bretty Anderson.

Don't be surprised to see him pitch 250 innings and win 28 games next season.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'll give him 145 innings. I see them easing him in vs giving him a full season. Unless he just blows them away in spring.

I'm not sold on him but I felt the same about Feldman and he pulled a strong 1/2 season that turned into a heist.

For this reason alone they maybe pulling another gamble for a quick sale.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He was worth talking about briefly when he broke into the league with San Diego. He was an offensive 2B from the beginning, used to add some stolen bases with pop. Was a fantasy boon at the end of his first season.

I remember him here in SD. He was a solid UI. That is what I saw out of him. IMO he is peaking right now and should come tumbling back. Unless he was juicing or started a new training regiment that helped him exceed his limitations.