Offseason discussion/rumors

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Small correction, there is no official release.

I like the over for the Cubs and the Dodgers. They play in two completely awful divisions and should walk away with a boat load of wins based on the unbalanced schedules. I also like the under for the White Sox. They aren't done trading guys away and I can't see them being what two wins worse than last year? That would be my three prop parlay

The Dodgers play in an awful division? First I'll probably pick the Giants to win that division with LA as a WC but I think Colorado is more than capable of being a WC team and Arizona shouldn't be awful. Yes San Diego is historically bad but I actually think the NL West is one of the most competitive in baseball this year. I also don't see the cubs division as being quite as bad as you say. I expect the Cubs, Cardinals and Pirates to all be over .500 with Milwaukee having an off chance of getting there.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Had to bet I would go with SFG and LAD fighting for the top. COL should be .500. Azl same. 2 broken parks that decrease the effectiveness of their pitching.

Cubs should have only STL as a legit competition. Pit has been a tag along for years and lost the peak years of Mc Clutch. SP in transition. Outside of Cole the staff has holes.

So yes the competition in general should be pretty easy to bypass. This is not like the AL E where you have 3-4 teams fighting for a play off spot.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I could see Greinke back with the Dodgers, and them taking the division.

But its time the Giants slid a bit, and you can see the wheels coming off Bumgarner a bit. Velocity is down from 2-3 years ago 5-10 mph.

It Colorado I think is prime to surprise. They have been building and look close, and to have actually found some pitchers who can pitch better than the other guy in that stadium.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Travis Wood's preference is to start, and he's likely to get that opportunity in Kansas City after signing a two-year contract with the Royals. Wood joins a rotational mix that already included Danny Duffy, Ian Kennedy, Jason Vargas, Jason Hammel, Nate Karns and Chris Young, so manager Ned Yost will have some decisions to make at the back end as Kansas City's camp gets under way in Arizona.

From ESPN

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I could see Greinke back with the Dodgers, and them taking the division.

But its time the Giants slid a bit, and you can see the wheels coming off Bumgarner a bit. Velocity is down from 2-3 years ago 5-10 mph.

It Colorado I think is prime to surprise. They have been building and look close, and to have actually found some pitchers who can pitch better than the other guy in that stadium.

Bumgarner's average FB velocity has been remarkably consistent throughout his career ranging from 90.7 to 92. I don't see any indication of significant velocity loss.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The Dodgers play in an awful division? First I'll probably pick the Giants to win that division with LA as a WC but I think Colorado is more than capable of being a WC team and Arizona shouldn't be awful. Yes San Diego is historically bad but I actually think the NL West is one of the most competitive in baseball this year. I also don't see the cubs division as being quite as bad as you say. I expect the Cubs, Cardinals and Pirates to all be over .500 with Milwaukee having an off chance of getting there.

The Giants have way outplayed the talent that they have and I believe they are not better than previous years.
The Rockies are to me at least a full year away for my tastes.

The Dbacks and Padres are 90+ loss teams with no real direction to me.

Given that the Dodgers won the division being the most injured team in the history of the game, this to me is a runaway.

As for the NL Central, the Cardinals need everything to go right and I still think they are 10 games below the Cubs. The Pirates...They've given up to me. While I like their farm, I wouldn't be shocked at all if they lost 90+ games. They only won 78 and I think they are not better this year than last. Brewers and Reds could all be in contention for third but with an under .500 record.

I see the NL West having two .500 teams, NL Central having two, the NL East having three (Mets, Nats, Braves)

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bumgarner's average FB velocity has been remarkably consistent throughout his career ranging from 90.7 to 92. I don't see any indication of significant velocity loss.

but he used to be able to throw 97-100 and was just reserving himself for high pitch counts. He would elevate his velocity for extreme hard at bats in bad situations with runners in scoring position...and he could do it consecutively. Going 92, 95, 97 to finish an at bat. He doesn't have that anymore, I watch them alot being born there and growing up a fan of Giants.

I will agree he will be a fantastic pitcher. His issues hit the fan this year...and he adjusted as fast as anyone I have seen. The doubt only lasted about 10 games, but that trend is likely to continue from what I am seeing.

I think Bumgarner is an ace...I just think the days of putting a team on his back and winning the playoffs with heroism from Bumgarner are over. He can pitch, he can't win 3 games a series and wear a cape anymore.

greg23

Liked Posts:

You're forgetting when he used to throw 102 regularly

;)

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
but he used to be able to throw 97-100 and was just reserving himself for high pitch counts. He would elevate his velocity for extreme hard at bats in bad situations with runners in scoring position...and he could do it consecutively. Going 92, 95, 97 to finish an at bat. He doesn't have that anymore, I watch them alot being born there and growing up a fan of Giants.

I will agree he will be a fantastic pitcher. His issues hit the fan this year...and he adjusted as fast as anyone I have seen. The doubt only lasted about 10 games, but that trend is likely to continue from what I am seeing.

I think Bumgarner is an ace...I just think the days of putting a team on his back and winning the playoffs with heroism from Bumgarner are over. He can pitch, he can't win 3 games a series and wear a cape anymore.

Since 2009 pitch fx doesn't have bumgarner throwing a single pitch faster than 95.1 mph.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Looks that way. This will be a heavy blow to the Cards' chances. They will need a rebound from Wainwright and Wacha to lessen that blow.

The White Sox await the call for the stop gap in James Shields, or the mother haul for Q

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The White Sox await the call for the stop gap in James Shields, or the mother haul for Q

The irony is that without Reyes the Cards don't have the prospects y'all would want for Quintana and they don't have the salary space for Shields. Wacha had been expected to be in the pen but clearly he starts now. I'd also expect Rosenthal to be stretched out in ST to compete for a starting slot.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The irony is that without Reyes the Cards don't have the prospects y'all would want for Quintana and they don't have the salary space for Shields. Wacha had been expected to be in the pen but clearly he starts now. I'd also expect Rosenthal to be stretched out in ST to compete for a starting slot.

Just shows how one well placed injury can rearrange an entire staff. And while the Cubs are not immune, I think they could handle the hit better than most.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
For the ones that keep saying Schwarbs wont play catcher.

Cubs' Kyle Schwarber: Will be groomed as third catcher
by RotoWire Staff | Special to CBSSports.com

Schwarber was cleared by doctors Wednesday to take part in catching drills and is expected to serve as the team's third backstop in 2017, Bruce Levine of 670 AM The Score reports.

Schwarber, who missed nearly all of 2016 while recovering from a torn ACL and MCL in the Cubs' second game of the season, is still projected to see the bulk of his starts in left field this season while Willson Contreras and Miguel Montero handle most of the duties at catcher, but it sounds like Schwarber will be more than just an emergency option behind the plate. The 23-year-old lost catcher eligibility in most leagues last season after his lone two starts came in the outfield, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that he could reach 20 starts at catcher by the end of 2017, though it may take an injury to Contreras or Montero for that to materialize. At this time, the potential of Schwarber regaining catcher eligibility is something that would likely raise his stock more in keeper leagues rather than single-season formats, where he'll presumably be an outfield-only option for the bulk of the campaign. Regardless of where he sees time this season, Schwarber's power is the main driver of his fantasy value, and if health prevails, he could surpass the 30-homer plateau while delivering ample returns in RBI and runs.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
IT makes a lot of sense. Caritini will likely be the backup next year. And when this injury happens at a young age there is a better chance of a stronger knee. I don't hink people should be that worried about him squatting 20 times a year.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
For the ones that keep saying Schwarbs wont play catcher.

Cubs' Kyle Schwarber: Will be groomed as third catcher
by RotoWire Staff | Special to CBSSports.com

Schwarber was cleared by doctors Wednesday to take part in catching drills and is expected to serve as the team's third backstop in 2017, Bruce Levine of 670 AM The Score reports.

Schwarber, who missed nearly all of 2016 while recovering from a torn ACL and MCL in the Cubs' second game of the season, is still projected to see the bulk of his starts in left field this season while Willson Contreras and Miguel Montero handle most of the duties at catcher, but it sounds like Schwarber will be more than just an emergency option behind the plate. The 23-year-old lost catcher eligibility in most leagues last season after his lone two starts came in the outfield, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that he could reach 20 starts at catcher by the end of 2017, though it may take an injury to Contreras or Montero for that to materialize. At this time, the potential of Schwarber regaining catcher eligibility is something that would likely raise his stock more in keeper leagues rather than single-season formats, where he'll presumably be an outfield-only option for the bulk of the campaign. Regardless of where he sees time this season, Schwarber's power is the main driver of his fantasy value, and if health prevails, he could surpass the 30-homer plateau while delivering ample returns in RBI and runs.
Meaning he could be used exactly the way I said he should be used..

As an Emergency 3rd Catcher

Injury, extra innings, late double switches, etc

Not as some suggested where he will be someone personal Catcher or start as catcher once or twice a week.

Doing catcher drills is the last phase to test his knees..
The squatting, etc.

I'm 99.9% positive that with a healthy roster, Schwarber will not be asked to start ahead of Contreras or Montero if their playing good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:

If I was the Cards..Q.. wow I would do it. Wainwright is 35. Martinez is pretty legit. Reyes would be a strong 3 looking ahead. At that point you are looking at 2 innings eaters that can push a 4.0 FIP and field a plus D.

It makes too much sense IMO. That is if they have the talent to make that deal. (I wouldn't trade Reyes or Martinez but the rest like Piscotty would be on the table)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Schwarber will be using a knee brace the rest off his playing career. With the wear and tear to the knee's that catchers go through he will never be a every day catcher. Which is a good thing because his heart is way ahead of his talent.