Offseason discussion/rumors

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What's amazing about wanting to dump a defensive liability that loafs after balls and hits below the average for his position? I'm surprised if any team would want this guy

Guess the Ranger's GM is pretty much a tool then. :rolleyes:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Dodgers are going to regret signing Rich Hill if not in 2017 definitely in 2018...

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Doubtful. His main pitch is his hammer and he changes speeds with it. Guys that lose it with age are guys that are co-dependent on their fastballs. We saw this with Verlander. He had to start pitching to location more after losing velocity.

So I'm not concerned. The Dodgers have too much depth where they can afford to lose him for a stretch. What they really need is a TOR for the play offs. That is where you want a guy with a 2.13 ERA.

Too me that is like saying Hendricks will nose dive due to not having a plus fastball. Not even giving him credit for his ability to pitch.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@ChrisCotillo: Industry buzz tonight is that the Royals could be looking to trade Lorenzo Cain and Wade Davis as part of a package deal.

Doing this could give Cubs options..
Deal Soler
Keep Almora in Iowa a little longer

Cain has 1 yr left for 9 mil

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Under your logic, if Theo trades him he is the idiot...duh

No. I wouldn't trade him for a 1 year rental. If he has a break out season and the Cubs don't go to the series that trade looks idiotic.

Like I said before. I would pack him and a few prospects and go get some arms with Control. Rangers are looking into him and Hoyer has said they are looking at pitching via trade. BP and starting depth. They just have to find a deal that works for both teams.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
@ChrisCotillo: Industry buzz tonight is that the Royals could be looking to trade Lorenzo Cain and Wade Davis as part of a package deal.

Doing this could give Cubs options..
Deal Soler
Keep Almora in Iowa a little longer

Cain has 1 yr left for 9 mil

It doesn't look like a match. 1 year of control and Jed pretty much said they are looking at pitching. Not bats.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Doubtful. His main pitch is his hammer and he changes speeds with it. Guys that lose it with age are guys that are co-dependent on their fastballs. We saw this with Verlander. He had to start pitching to location more after losing velocity.

So I'm not concerned. The Dodgers have too much depth where they can afford to lose him for a stretch. What they really need is a TOR for the play offs. That is where you want a guy with a 2.13 ERA.

Too me that is like saying Hendricks will nose dive due to not having a plus fastball. Not even giving him credit for his ability to pitch.
3 yr deal where he gonna be 37 38 39
Coming off a career year, after being injured and average at best starter...

16 mil for a guy that probably ends up at best BOR for 2 yrs is alot..

Of course that just my opinion on how I think he'll end up

CSF77

Liked Posts:
3 yr deal where he gonna be 37 38 39
Coming off a career year, after being injured and average at best starter...

16 mil for a guy that probably ends up at best BOR for 2 yrs is alot..

Of course that just my opinion on how I think he'll end up

That is fine. I've watched Bartello Colon pitch at 46 when I though he was washed up at 30. Baseball is a weird game

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What's amazing about wanting to dump a defensive liability that loafs after balls and hits below the average for his position? I'm surprised if any team would want this guy

Bruce Levine
‏@MLBBruceLevine
American League teams showing a lot of interest in the Cubs Jorge Soler

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Victor Robles and Lucas Giolito are suppose to be the centerpiece with them haggling over the final pieces.

UPDATE: Jim Bowden – who, hey, probably still has good contacts in Washington after his time there – says the sides are “far down the road” in this deal, and it’s going to be Giolito, Robles, and a low-level minor leaguer for Sale. Even if that other prospect is a good one, that still seems light for Sale. Maybe even very light.

^ from bleacher nation via bowden obviously. If that's what happens that is an interesting trade because it would be quality over quantity but not much in terms of quantity.

A source on one of the teams interested in right-hander Chris Archer tells Topkin that the Rays are asking for five or six players in return. Obviously that specific ask could be related to that specific team, but with a price tag generally thought to be quite high, Topkin is doubtful Archer will be dealt.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I find it pretty funny when peeps want to toss away a 24 YO hitter with control until 2020 for a 1 year rental. Pretty amazing.

The Rangers are pretty hot on him to. If they can do a package deal. Controllable Arms coming over for Soler and Candelero I would be fine with it.

Any names you would focus on?

I am having a tough time gaging what Soler's value is. It seems to fluctuate as his play fluctuates.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
ESPN:

Chapman: "The only thing I have expressed is that I would like a six-year contract. I know that doesn't mean that I will get it, but that's what I would like to sign. There are rumors out there that I requested $100 million and that's not true at all. I believe he who deserves something, does not need to demand it."

What a gem.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

I am having a tough time gaging what Soler's value is. It seems to fluctuate as his play fluctuates.

Pretty sure most people have trouble gauging his value. The upside in his bat is obvious. For my money, if you're dealing Soler he needs to be part of a package bringing back young pitching. Not saying he needs to be the top piece but to me trading him for a Closer isn't really advancing your on going idea of getting younger pitching.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
^ from bleacher nation via bowden obviously. If that's what happens that is an interesting trade because it would be quality over quantity but not much in terms of quantity.

I suggested yesterday that while the Sox had assigned the right value to Sale they would be hard pressed to find a team for whom 4 top
100 prospects would be worth it. I have a hard time understanding how they went from that to only 2 top prospects. If the ask seemed heavy this proposed trade seems very light.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I suggested yesterday that while the Sox had assigned the right value to Sale they would be hard pressed to find a team for whom 4 top
100 prospects would be worth it. I have a hard time understanding how they went from that to only 2 top prospects. If the ask seemed heavy this proposed trade seems very light.
Probably get a better package from cubs
Start with Soler and Happ

CSF77

Liked Posts:

He still puts up a BB% at 10% and his SO rate is at 25% for his career. With a league avg BABIP of .306 he is predicted at .246/.325/.424. Which is well with in his abilities.

Right now he is worth a team's 10-15 level prospect. On the Cubs he would be worth Trevor Clifton value.

Now my opinion is he will not get the playing time needed to drive up his stock value as a Cub. So if there is a trade out there that can net you a arm then do it.

I believe Jed is talking to every team right now and is shopping Soler as a chip. AL teams know that he could break out as a player and his value is very low right now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Read Rangers lacks pitching also and may end up paying for Encarnacion. Have to see how this turns out.

Royals really like Soler. I would want a lower level arm as a add in if they were selling Davis's last year. Something like Soler, Candelero and a lower level arm for Davis and Kyle Zimmer.

Kyle has had health issues also that has been stalling him. So like Soler the potential is there.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Royals closer Wade Davis among possibilities as Cubs seek bullpen help

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-wade-davis-cubs-winter-meetings-spt-1206-20161205-story.html

"It's safe to say we're kicking the tires on any pitching that's available," Hoyer said during a media session at the winter meetings. "We're not spending a lot of time on bats. We're spending a lot of time on arms. Anyone that's available, we'll be talking about."

he most intriguing candidate is the Royals' Wade Davis, who will earn $10 million in the final year of a seven-year contract. A source confirmed the Cubs "are on" Davis, 31, who posted a 1.87 ERA and didn't allow a home run in 45 appearances in 2016.

"I definitely think we'll bolster our bullpen," Hoyer said. "Whether we do that by adding a number of good relievers or whether we do it by adding a known closer, I'm not sure. But we'll definitely add to our bullpen."

I sure hope they find a legit closer. I am not sold on Rondon.