My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Montero: ""I'm mentally drained," he said. "Physically, I feel pretty good because I didn't play much."

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
From ESPN: This is what Pat Riley referred to as the "Disease of Me." Once a team wins a championship, everyone suddenly wants more playing time, a bigger role, more money, etc. Not that Montero is a bad guy or a selfish guy, because he isn't, but it's just human nature.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Annnnnddd traded...

Kinda weird to hear because 1) Contreras is very obviously the future and 2) Montero clearly was the 3rd best catcher on the team overall near the end. Sure he framed well, but he couldn't throw anyone out to save his life. Plus he batted .216 this year......

If he couldn't see all those things and realize he wasn't the best option for major playoff playing time, well I don't know what to tell him...

Last edited:

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can understand this:

I expected to be treated a little better. I was expected to get communication. Just let me know. Put me in the loop. That was the toughest part for me because I never understood what my role was going to be."

But for the most part, shut up.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Man, these guys are competitors. In the end, you do whats best for the team. I dont blame him for it, but you dont make many friends saying it to the media. That should have been a discussion between him and the FO/coaches.

greg23

Liked Posts:
If he didn't make 14 mil and wasn't left handed he'd probably be traded Monday at the meetings in az.......not sure who will want that contract unless the cubs pony up 12 mil.

Was hoping he could have a bounce back year, continue to mentor contreras and start about 30-40 games at catcher (with contreras getting 110 and schwarber maybe 10-20

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I really expected Montero to stick with Arrieta thru the playoffs at least. Especially when Contrares stopped hitting. We basically traded Welly for him and I never liked the move. I dont know why posters always claimed the pitchers liked throwing to miggy better, but when Contrares wipes out their mistakes with the missle throws, you gotta feel nobody on the staff really pushed to have him be their catcher.

Going into next year with Contrares and Schwarber wont be enough, but Kyle is not playing left field every game for the cubs and needs to continue catching. Guess Lester has to pick his poison, but keeping miggy around at 14 million is not like buying grandpa ross for 3.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Schwarber can not catch.

The Johnny Bench award in college and the organization continuing his development tells you different.

Seriously, you really would prefer to have Baez, bryant or Zobrist on the bench to let him play every day? That is really what will happen, so at least lock him on to one starter because he is at least as good as Montero defensively already.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Schwarber can not catch.

He is going to catch. I dont know why people think he is not. The Cubs have said he will catch again. Schwarber said he will catch again.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Man, these guys are competitors. In the end, you do whats best for the team. I dont blame him for it, but you dont make many friends saying it to the media. That should have been a discussion between him and the FO/coaches.

I just heard that he may have been drunk. No bueno.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Catching depends on his knee.

If he can be comfortable in the crouch and able to move laterally coming out of that crouch he will catch for the Cubs, at least splitting time with Contreras.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He is going to catch. I dont know why people think he is not. The Cubs have said he will catch again. Schwarber said he will catch again.
Because there shouldn't be a need for him to catch unless its in an emergency situation....
We might see him do an inning or two late in some games but I doubt we see him start a game ...

Contreras should get the no.1 everyday job

If Montero not traded he will back up and get the starts against some RHers..
Or
They'll get another LH backup catcher if Montero traded

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:

We saw Contreras match with Hendricks. After that he started getting starts with Jake and Lackey. Schwarber was going to match up with Hammel but in reality he lost a year. So it makes sense to match him up with a starter to ease him into the role. Lester and Schwarber would become a nightmare with runners having green lights all day. Montgomery maybe a good option if he has a strong pick off to keep them honest.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because there shouldn't be a need for him to catch unless its in an emergency situation....
We might see him do an inning or two late in some games but I doubt we see him start a game ...

Contreras should get the no.1 everyday job

If Montero not traded he will back up and get the starts against some RHers..
Or
They'll get another LH backup catcher if Montero traded

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

I linked an article about mid season that said they planned on catching him one day a week next year.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Absolutely worthless gimpy player most of the season, the guy couldn't have filled a bigger role in my opinion if he had to, and if he had to you probably don't take the crown.

That said, Montero filled his role beautifully and came up with SEVERAL HUGE HITS down the stretch and in the playoffs. Without that bat they may not get out of some of those series, but I thought he was lucky to earn some playoff at bats at all. Great pinch hitting.

Furthermore, as a back-up catcher you can't expect to even be deployed that much because you are held out for emergency or extra innings. Fucking joke that he is running his mouth, he should be traded regardless but shut the fuck up.