IGT: Stars @ Blackhawks 11/6 at 6:00 p.m.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Panik doesn't seem amoeba fluid enough to be the right fit with Toews-Kane, but it also works at times and is another notch in Q's brain he can go to against a matchup that feels right.

My terrible line sense says give Panik to Smaltz on that fourth line rather than to Kruger who plays well with Desjardins. Just to look at it. Smaltz plus Moose/Panik flanking him with some braun. Move Motte up to 1, and then shut down defense line #3 Desjardins/Kruger/Hartman

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Panik doesn't seem amoeba fluid enough to be the right fit with Toews-Kane, but it also works at times and is another notch in Q's brain he can go to against a matchup that feels right.

My terrible line sense says give Panik to Smaltz on that fourth line rather than to Kruger who plays well with Desjardins. Just to look at it. Smaltz plus Moose/Panik flanking him with some braun. Move Motte up to 1, and then shut down defense line #3 Desjardins/Kruger/Hartman

Hard to demote a guy with 7 goals in 13 games who leads the forwards in hits.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Hard to demote a guy with 7 goals in 13 games who leads the forwards in hits.

I brought it up a couple of games ago that I just don't like Panik on that line. Q actually swapped him and Nick Schmaltz yesterday at the beginning of the second period. Don't think that Schmaltz did that great with the short opportunity though. Really wish Motte wasn't injured because he has the patience and vision that could work out well with Toews/Kane. Panik is just too north/south, tunnel visioned, and a poor passer for Toews/Kane. Also, if there is a way to get Panik down to the third line it could provide some scoring along with his physical play for the bottom six.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well ... at least he's missing shin pads now? I think he tries to bank it to the front off the end boards too much. Eventually, just put the damn puck on net.

I think him and Seabs have been doing way too much of that bank to the front of the net shit.... especially on the PP, just get it on target when you have a screen and more guys in front of the net.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I think him and Seabs have been doing way too much of that bank to the front of the net shit.... especially on the PP, just get it on target when you have a screen and more guys in front of the net.

Never been a big fan of Keith on the point anyway. And I think with the addition of Kempny and Forsling as well as the re-acquisition of Campbell, I think the Hawks now have enough guys who can run the point adequately so that Keith's services are no longer needed. It'd also give Keith's legs a rest from time to time because he ain't getting any younger.

But this all feels like hot air on our end because you know damn well Q isn't going to take Keith off the power play.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Never been a big fan of Keith on the point anyway. And I think with the addition of Kempny and Forsling as well as the re-acquisition of Campbell, I think the Hawks now have enough guys who can run the point adequately so that Keith's services are no longer needed. It'd also give Keith's legs a rest from time to time because he ain't getting any younger.

But this all feels like hot air on our end because you know damn well Q isn't going to take Keith off the power play.

This exactly.... I don't know why, but the PP seems to be the one area where Q or the team in general will have issues and refuse to adjust.... whether it is a player or a tendency or w/e.... PP has always been something we spend time banging our heads against making the same mistakes for long periods of time.

And maybe it is just me, but I feel like our passing goes to shit on the PP alot.... and our PP depends on really crisp passing to execute.

One other criticism I will throw out about our PP, I feel we often get too rigid.... too many guys enter the zone and stand still.... you watch 1 Hawk go up against 2,3, or even 4 guys at once trying to dig the puck out of the corner or off the boards and get it cycling while the other 4 guys on the PP stand around waiting. And even when we get control and start moving the puck around, you get guys standing still waiting for the puck....

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hawks PP: Pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass SHOT MISSES THE NET pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass SHOT MISSES THE NET pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass SHOT SAVED BY [insert opposing goalie here]

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
This exactly.... I don't know why, but the PP seems to be the one area where Q or the team in general will have issues and refuse to adjust.... whether it is a player or a tendency or w/e.... PP has always been something we spend time banging our heads against making the same mistakes for long periods of time.

And maybe it is just me, but I feel like our passing goes to shit on the PP alot.... and our PP depends on really crisp passing to execute.

One other criticism I will throw out about our PP, I feel we often get too rigid.... too many guys enter the zone and stand still.... you watch 1 Hawk go up against 2,3, or even 4 guys at once trying to dig the puck out of the corner or off the boards and get it cycling while the other 4 guys on the PP stand around waiting. And even when we get control and start moving the puck around, you get guys standing still waiting for the puck....

And it feels like most of that waiting around happens when Kane has the puck, like they're waiting for him to do something that they can react to. I know Edzo's schtick can get old on the air but his simple philosophy of "move the puck, move yourself" would do wonders for the Hawks power play.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah...but most of our D men lack speed. Keith has been on the point because Hammer, Seabs, Rozy, TVR and others we have employed are slow as fuck and would get beat up the ice on a PP turnover.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Maybe our players skate so fast in 5 v 5 and make hockey this back and forth quick shift speed game that when its PP or PK its a bit of rest time. We seem to not be as good when we slow down and try to be methodical because that isn't how we play.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who in their right mind would schedule a contact sport to play more than 50 games a season. Its hilarious and as a rugby player who could barely recover from one saturday to the next I don't know how they do this. Granted 10 car crashes and 4 hit by pitches might not equal 2 car crashes a minute for 80 minutes, but we played like 8 games and these guys slash each other on the forearms constantly. And granted we had no pads, just shorts and a t-shirt, and 99% of us don't play with a cup, but Duncan Keith has convinced me a couple times that Hockey players are the toughest SOB's in sport.

The teeth thing. But also the Anaheim thing. "No man can withstand the punishment..."

No man but that man. You picked on a Celtic guy? lol. That was their mistake.

Still....every single Sunday I see NFL players "shook up" and rolling around for minor bumps and hits we were expected to play through. The product is terrible, and while I worry concussions will ruin rugby as well

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Who in their right mind would schedule a contact sport to play more than 50 games a season. Its hilarious and as a rugby player who could barely recover from one saturday to the next I don't know how they do this. Granted 10 car crashes and 4 hit by pitches might not equal 2 car crashes a minute for 80 minutes, but we played like 8 games and these guys slash each other on the forearms constantly. And granted we had no pads, just shorts and a t-shirt, and 99% of us don't play with a cup, but Duncan Keith has convinced me a couple times that Hockey players are the toughest SOB's in sport.

The teeth thing. But also the Anaheim thing. "No man can withstand the punishment..."

No man but that man. You picked on a Celtic guy? lol. That was their mistake.

Still....every single Sunday I see NFL players "shook up" and rolling around for minor bumps and hits we were expected to play through. The product is terrible, and while I worry concussions will ruin rugby as well
It does definitely add another dimension to the "why are they paid so much" arguments.