1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Jesse Rogers
ESPN Staff Writer

The Cubs have declined the 2017 option on Jason Hammel making him a free agent, per the team.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Very surprising

Most years teams will need at least 6 starters to get thru the season. He was a decent 4th/5th/6th starter basically on at 10 mil 1 year deal

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
This is Jason Heyward's fault

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Statement from the Cubs:

“When we agreed with Jason on this two year contract back at the 2014 winter meetings, the option was included with the intent that it would be exercised if Jason was going to be a Cub in 2017. The intent was never to exercise the option and then trade Jason, so we will not consider that path. Instead, Jason will have the opportunity to enter free agency coming off an outstanding season and the ability to choose his next club.”

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
They didn't pick up and trade him out of respect for Hammel. This front office is getting SAWFT!!!!!!!

jk it's pretty cool

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Not surprising to me...
Team needs to get younger in the rotation if they want to continue to compete year after year..
I'm hoping Lackey retires instead of sticking around another year..

I really think were going to see a couple of big trades involving them getting young controllable arms in return

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Statement from the Cubs:

“When we agreed with Jason on this two year contract back at the 2014 winter meetings, the option was included with the intent that it would be exercised if Jason was going to be a Cub in 2017. The intent was never to exercise the option and then trade Jason, so we will not consider that path. Instead, Jason will have the opportunity to enter free agency coming off an outstanding season and the ability to choose his next club.”

Classy. This is the kind of stuff that makes players want to play for you. I would not have been so generous but color me impressed.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
They didn't pick up and trade him out of respect for Hammel. This front office is getting SAWFT!!!!!!!

jk it's pretty cool
Yes. More and more quality FA will want to play for them.

Edit: TC beat me to the point.

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Classy. This is the kind of stuff that makes players want to play for you. I would not have been so generous but color me impressed.

Classy, but not particularly smart. An affordable #5 that won 15 games and you're only on the hook for 1 more season with him. That's a hit on their depth.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Not surprising to me...
Team needs to get younger in the rotation if they want to continue to compete year after year..
I'm hoping Lackey retires instead of sticking around another year..

I really think were going to see a couple of big trades involving them getting young controllable arms in return

You must not realize how good Lackey was for the money in the regular seasson. I've also posted an article in the Theo thread about how he has viewed pitching in the past. I'd be surprised if he was at least decent in the first half next year.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You must not realize how good Lackey was for the money in the regular seasson. I've also posted an article in the Theo thread about how he has viewed pitching in the past. I'd be surprised if he was at least decent in the first half next year.
He 38...
Odds are against him to do good ...

Im sure they probably keep him, hopefully he their 4th or 5th starter..
But
I think it would benefit the team if he retires and they can fill his slot with a younger arm and have an extra 16 mil to use..

He got nothing left to play for besides16 mil..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
He 38...
Odds are against him to do good ...

Im sure they probably keep him, hopefully he their 4th or 5th starter..
But
I think it would benefit the team if he retires and they can fill his slot with a younger arm and have an extra 16 mil to use..

He got nothing left to play for besides16 mil..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk
Like I said, you don't understand how good he was in the regular season. He isn't going to be the three. Why are you panicking about a 5th starter? Weird.

And you also has some explaining to do as to why the Cubs would rid themselves of the 28th best qualifying starter in MLB in 2016 according to WAR. ERA? 21st. Divide that by 30 teams and maybe you can begin to figure out how good he as for the money in 2016.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...am=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&page=1_30

Last edited:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Like I said, you don't understand how good he was in the regular season. He isn't going to be the three. Why are you panicking about a 5th starter? Weird.

And you also has some explaining to do as to why the Cubs would rid themselves of the 28th best qualifying starter in MLB in 2016 according to WAR. ERA? 21st. Divide that by 30 teams and maybe you can begin to figure out how good he as for the money in 2016.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...am=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&page=1_30

Who panicking???
He 38

2016 over, thank you john lackey for having a decent year and 28th best war..

2017 is a new season, I'd like to see them get a little younger in the rotation ..

I already said I think he probably sticks and hopefully as a 4 or 5...
But
I'm hoping he retires and they can add a younger arm and 16 mil to spend else where...

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Who panicking???
He 38

2016 over, thank you john lackey for having a decent year and 28th best war..

2017 is a new season, I'd like to see them get a little younger in the rotation ..

I already said I think he probably sticks and hopefully as a 4 or 5...
But
I'm hoping he retires and they can add a younger arm and 16 mil to spend else where...

LOL. Would you retire and leave $16 mil on the table?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
LOL. Would you retire and leave $16 mil on the table?
Lol..did you see I wrote twice that he probably sticks and the first time I wrote he has nothing to play for except the 16 mil...

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Would love to see the money saved go towards bringing Dexter back.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't worry about seeing much decline from Lackey except possibly endurance which could keep him out of a playoff rotation. He'll have an ERA under 4 and pitch 160-170 innings. Most teams would kill for that at $16 mil.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
7 out of the top 10 current prospects are pitchers now. I would be ecstatic to see one of them get a shot at the rotation. I would have like to see Carl Edwards Jr get a shot, but seems that has passed. Yes, its Monty for sure, probably get another Cahill type out of the organization guy, but Zas or Buchannan would be nice to see in the competition too, but three lefties have to be three real good lefties.