Dexter Fowler

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
He'd look damn good in a Sox uniform, wouldn't he?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I agree, but now that a QO is attached to him, we have to take a pass on him

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree, but now that a QO is attached to him, we have to take a pass on him

I don't remember you agreeing with me last year.

But see, this is the problem with a bargain hunting team lacking vision. Fowler was available for marriage if somebody just wanted to get hitched all spring. I argued to tears with folks here who were adament he wasn't an upgrade to White Sox outfield, we had a leadoff hitter in Eaton already, and blah blah blah.

He was a longterm bargain to be had in baserunner heaven. Eaton would be a great 2. Then Abreu/Cespedes and now we are talking about a fucking lineup. Great young shortstop, great starting pitching, and we could fill in the rest.

But now that plan costs too much.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
What, that means they'd lose some draft picks? Worth it.

No losing our first round pick for Fowler and the large contract he will command is not worth it for the Chicago White Sox.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Rask, I was against big time on Fowler last year. I was wrong. He would have been huge for the White So last year. Not so sure with the 2017 team considering age, health, cost, length of deal, and loss of first round pick.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
No losing our first round pick for Fowler and the large contract he will command is not worth it for the Chicago White Sox.

Gotta spend money to make money.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Just not on a guy that has only played one full season (>600 AB)
Who else is available that could have an impact like Fowler?

And over 600 at-bats seems like a ridiculous qualifier

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Sorry, make that Plate Appearances. It's what a team needs to get at least out of it's leadoff hitter.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If you think your team is only a player or two away, losing a draft pick isn't a strong argument not to sign Fowler. OTOH, I personally believe the Sox are a lot further from competing. Personally, I would blow the whole thing up and get draft picks and solid, young MiLB players for the entire pitching staff and any position player that had value and rebuild. With Carrasco and Salazar back in the Indians rotation, I don't see anyone in the AL Central beating them next year anyway. Use the down time wisely.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought the Cubs were considering not offering him the QO similar to the Hammels situation so he can be fairly compensated.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
If you think your team is only a player or two away, losing a draft pick isn't a strong argument not to sign Fowler. OTOH, I personally believe the Sox are a lot further from competing. Personally, I would blow the whole thing up and get draft picks and solid, young MiLB players for the entire pitching staff and any position player that had value and rebuild. With Carrasco and Salazar back in the Indians rotation, I don't see anyone in the AL Central beating them next year anyway. Use the down time wisely.

This is what everyone says. But it's also not going to happen and the White Sox FO has said as much, so IMO there's not much point in discussing it.

Also the horseshoe that Cleveland had stuck up its ass for the last 4 months may come loose during the offseason. Everyone said the Royals were going to be a long-term contender, too.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
This is what everyone says. But it's also not going to happen and the White Sox FO has said as much, so IMO there's not much point in discussing it.
No. I wouldn't imagine the White Sox management would do that either. It's just not their MO.

Also the horseshoe that Cleveland had stuck up its ass for the last 4 months may come loose during the offseason. Everyone said the Royals were going to be a long-term contender, too.
Royals only rented Zobrist. He was hot in last year's World Series. Cueto left, etc. That's a different team. With Carrasco and Salazar healthy and in the rotation, Indians are already better, but it's too early to see what moves they make this off-season.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
No. I wouldn't imagine the White Sox management would do that either. It's just not their MO.

Royals only rented Zobrist. He was hot in last year's World Series. Cueto left, etc. That's a different team. With Carrasco and Salazar healthy and in the rotation, Indians are already better, but it's too early to see what moves they make this off-season.

They've got a good rotation, yeah, but that lineup? Woof. Just not enough depth there. And let me tell you what happens to a team with a good starting rotation but not much else ... /points at 2016 White Sox

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They've got a good rotation, yeah, but that lineup? Woof. Just not enough depth there. And let me tell you what happens to a team with a good starting rotation but not much else ... /points at 2016 White Sox

Ever hear of Micheal Brantley? He's been a .290+ hitter for the last 4 years and arguably Cleveland's best hitter. He played about 10 games before being derailed by a bad shoulder injury. He's expected back next season in ST...and he's good enough to make other hitters around him better. Barring more significant injuries, they will be a force again in 2017.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

I agree with this. They aren't a player or two away realistically. They need to get younger but first need to work on the men that run the ship before getting new oarsmen. So trading away Sale/Q is silly at this point. You have to fix it first from a leadership point. Renteria is a small step there. So is Hahn. Fire Kenny, and rebuild scouting this year. That's the steps that's needed IMO.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Fowler makes the Indians offense a lot more cohesive especially with the return of Brantley. that offense with that pitching would be the best team in the AL IMO.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Fowler makes the Indians offense a lot more cohesive especially with the return of Brantley. that offense with that pitching would be the best team in the AL IMO.
Yes, but they are looking to trade Miller, as they can't afford him. They may lose parts they need, jut like KC. In the end, it looks like AL Central is mostly run like small market teams hoping to catch lightning in a bottle once in a while.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Yes, but they are looking to trade Miller, as they can't afford him. They may lose parts they need, jut like KC. In the end, it looks like AL Central is mostly run like small market teams hoping to catch lightning in a bottle once in a while.

We shall see. I'm hoping not though. I hope they stick to it with what they have. Force the hand of the White Sox to do something.