2018 the year of the pitching wave!

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
In 2015 the Cubs saw their primary core all come up at around the same time. Bryant, Russel, and Schwarber all came onto the scene to join the 2014 prospects of Baez and Soler. This same kind of tidal wave of talent can happen with pitching in 2018 and 2019.

I provided some information on them below and these are the guys that are ranked in the Cubs top 25. These guys all have 1-2 starter type potential, and if they flunk out of starting pitching they could become prime bullpen arms.

So when Arrieta and Lackey are no longer here, we will have a few of these guys to try out and see if they could stick in the 2018 rotation. If all things hit, like they did with position players, we could see a staff similar to the Mets and the Indians, ripe with young arms that throw fast and with spin.

https://sportsstatsandscience.wordpress.com/2016/11/09/2018-the-year-of-the-pitching-wave/

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I still like them adding a long term lefty in the back of the rotation.

2017 we are looking at Lester, Hendricks, Arrieta, Montgomery, Lackey.

They have to get 2 replacements. Now I doubt they will roll out 2 unproven arms in the same year. That is what small markets survive on. Cubs are not that cheap.

So we could expect a completion to replace Lackey with a back of the rotation fall back option for the 5. But they most likely will not go that direction for the 3.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I got to disagree that either Cease or de La Cruz (the Cubs two most accomplished starting pitcher arms) are on a 2018 trajectory. Neither guy has made it to AA yet and while pitchers tend to be moved quicker, they're both young enough (21) that I highly doubt the Cubs are going to ask them to be starters at age 23 on a full-time basis. Best case scenario is both guys are spot starters come July 2018 and then they're BOR arms 2019 and MOR/TOR in 2020. That's obviously a ways away. Also, you have to remember that Cease has been highly injury prone and while de La Cruz was great this year, he also dealt with injuries.

The best young arm that I think ends up a Cub is Shani Otani. I figure he's going to post next season because he'll get to use the WBC as an audition this spring and if he dominates, he's going to be massively in demand but it wouldn't shock me if he comes over this winter seeing as his team just won the Japanesse championship.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I got to disagree that either Cease or de La Cruz (the Cubs two most accomplished starting pitcher arms) are on a 2018 trajectory. Neither guy has made it to AA yet and while pitchers tend to be moved quicker, they're both young enough (21) that I highly doubt the Cubs are going to ask them to be starters at age 23 on a full-time basis. Best case scenario is both guys are spot starters come July 2018 and then they're BOR arms 2019 and MOR/TOR in 2020. That's obviously a ways away. Also, you have to remember that Cease has been highly injury prone and while de La Cruz was great this year, he also dealt with injuries.

The best young arm that I think ends up a Cub is Shani Otani. I figure he's going to post next season because he'll get to use the WBC as an audition this spring and if he dominates, he's going to be massively in demand but it wouldn't shock me if he comes over this winter seeing as his team just won the Japanesse championship.

Underwood put up 31 BB in 58.2 IP at AA. That was a set back for him. He has good stuff but needs to harness it. He will take some maturing and I believe should break in in the pen first so he can keep it simpler then as his command grows his role does also.

Pierce Johnson could break out next year in a MR role. He had blister issues but again the core problem was his walks. 43 in 63 IP. That will end up biting him if he doesn't control it.

Those are to two guys you expect by 2018 rotation ready if they mature.

Ryan Williams I believe would have been a option if not for injury. 12 BB in 44 IP. Those are the kinda peripherals that you are looking for in a rotation piece. He fits into the Hendrick's profile. I see him as a depth piece next year if injury happens.

Clifton should be at AA next year. He is pretty legit. 41 BB in 119 IP with 129 SO's. That is getting it done. If there is a guy that you can point at in the system and say he could be a TOR it is him.

Ceace will be at South bend. Not really seeing him until 2020. Even then his body type may force him into a BP role.

DeLa Cruz is a year behind Clifton. He seems like a better bet for a slot due to his body type. Still he is 3 years out.