OT: Bryan Bickell diagnosed with multiple sclerosis

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Holy shit.

Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that forward Bryan Bickell has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS).

"First and foremost, the most important thing is for Bryan to take care of himself and our thoughts are with him and his family," said Francis. "He will need to take some time to rest in the immediate future, and we will support him as he takes the necessary steps for his health. We ask that his privacy be respected during the process."

"Since the 2015 playoffs, I've been struggling to understand what was going on with my body. Again during the past few weeks, it felt like something wasn't right," said Bickell. "Obviously this is a bit of shock for my family and me, but I am hopeful I will be able to return to the ice and continue playing the game that I love."

Bickell, 30, has scored one goal in seven games with the Hurricanes this season. The Bowmanville, Ont., native was acquired by Carolina on June 15 from Chicago, where he was a member Chicago's Stanley Cup-winning teams in 2010, 2013 and 2015. Bickell (6'4", 223 lbs.) was drafted by Chicago in the second round, 41st overall, in the 2004 NHL Draft, and has scored 66 goals and earned 70 assists in 391 NHL career regular-season games with the Blackhawks and Hurricanes.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Could possibly explain a lot with what he has been going through over the last few years. MS is a very tricky disease to figure out and diagnose at times.

Will be a tough road for him but I believe he can certainly return to the NHL or hockey in general. I have some very personal experience with MS (as I'm sure many do to some extent). Will have to take some time to soak it in, figure out which form of MS he fits under (four basic types), which medicine works for him (which they are making HUGE strides with) and then go from there. Hockey should be on the back burner for now but luckily the outlook on MS is more positive now than it has ever been. Definitely wish him, and everyone fighting this disease, the best of luck.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
God damn bigfoot.... what a suckfest this news is. Wish you the best considering...

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This makes alot of sense.... he had all kinds of balance problems with us...

GU7aJ7t.gif

This ^^^^ used to happen multiple times per game.... or he would hit guys and usually fall down during/after the hit....

Sorry for making fun of you Bigfoot

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That sucks.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Best wishes.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Best wishes the Bicks. My mom had MS for most of my life, so I know what a debilitating disease it is.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Wow. What an inspiration. Now we know how much harder he worked to compete, and he didn't even know it.

Godspeed, bigfoot.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here's hoping he can get in front of it and return to hockey...