Illini BB

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Groce has been fired.

Small miracles do happen. Any of the incoming freshmen jumping ship? Whoever the new coach is needs to get this program one thing it's completely lacked since 2005--a true fucking point guard.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Small miracles do happen. Any of the incoming freshmen jumping ship? Whoever the new coach is needs to get this program one thing it's completely lacked since 2005--a true fucking point guard.
It will be hard for them to jump ship since you have to be granted a release from your NLI. Also consider that the top 3 coaches being mentioned are Marshall, Bennett and Drew. Two of those coaches have connections to Walker, who recruited quite a bit of that class. Outside of perhaps Tilmon, there isn't anyone going anywhere, IMHO.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Are you saying the same thing about Cuonzo Martin and Tony Bennett?
Cuonzo Martin was not offered. Cuonzo Martin was politicking for the job. He was not high enough on the list to gain interest. He has similar issues to Groce, except Zo can coach a defense. As for Bennett, that rumor has been out there for a long time. He's a proven, D1 coach and is a P5 conference winning coach against UNC and Duke. Of course that one is possible and gaining renewed traction. It's also possible that's a ploy to get a pay raise from Virginia.

You should also note that I predicted where Cuonzo ended up getting hired. ;)

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I think it will be Bryce Drew and I'm excited for it.
Bryce Drew would also be my first choice, as I wanted him hired last year, but there is more smoke surrounding Bennett right now. I think Bennett's offense can be boring, but it's hard to argue with the success of winning the ACC.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
How much longer until that dipshit Crean gets fired? I remember him turning down the illini job when it was never offered

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bryce Drew would also be my first choice, as I wanted him hired last year, but there is more smoke surrounding Bennett right now. I think Bennett's offense can be boring, but it's hard to argue with the success of winning the ACC.

Marshall Crean or Drew I'd all be good with.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol. Would have been good to see IU to keep him longer so they would continue to be not competitive. Wonder who they go after.

IU won the Big 10 last season and had this season torpedoed due to injuries. Saw a tweet that I agree with that says IU and the base STILL haven't gotten over the Sweet 16 loss in 2013. That's been hanging over his head ever since.

What's odd is that IU is happy to see Crean leave but I think he'd a hell of a hire for Illinois.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
IU won the Big 10 last season and had this season torpedoed due to injuries. Saw a tweet that I agree with that says IU and the base STILL haven't gotten over the Sweet 16 loss in 2013. That's been hanging over his head ever since.

What's odd is that IU is happy to see Crean leave but I think he'd a hell of a higher for Illinois.

He's had some good teams but his last real tournament success was with Dwayne Wade in 2003. Just read that IU might make a run at Bennett or Alford.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's had some good teams but his last real tournament success was with Dwayne Wade in 2003. Just read that IU might make a run at Bennett or Alford.
Alford would be an idiot to leave UCLA.

Bennett would possibly screw Illinois but I still like the fall back of Marshall

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Greg Marshall has to get permission from the Koch brothers before he leaves.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Greg Marshall has to get permission from the Koch brothers before he leaves.
He does have a daughter who will be a senior in HS and that is going to complicate things for any team looking to hire him.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
He does have a daughter who will be a senior in HS and that is going to complicate things for any team looking to hire him.

http://deadspin.com/charles-koch-ponied-up-to-keep-gregg-marshall-at-wichit-1695496201

Charles—who, along with his brother David, comprise the politically influential and obscenely rich duo in charge of Koch Industries—has financially backed Wichita State for years (the Shockers have played in Charles Koch Arena since 2003). Last December, the Kochs gifted $11.25 million to the school, with $4.5 million going to athletics. He and Marshall reportedly have a yearly meeting to discuss the “state of the program.” (To be clear, Koch is not Wichita State’s athletic director or university president.) So, of course, he played a hand in convincing Marshall not to take an enticing interview at Alabama. Marshall’s base salary stood at $1.85 million a year; Koch organized a group of boosters and raised that to about $3 million, according to the Wichita Eagle. The Shockers keep the best coach they’ve ever had, and he gets a top-10 salary. Everyone’s happy. Most importantly, Charles Koch is happy.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They also lost Jeremiah Tilmon, Tilmon is rated as the No. 8 power forward in the class by 247Sports and the 6-foot-10.5 East Saint Louis, Ill., native is the top recruit in his state. Tilmon has received heavy interest from Missouri, which has hired a new coach in Cuonzo Martin. The 247Sports Crystal Ball is listing Mizzou as the most likely landing spot for Tilmon.

I know Groce developed relationships with these players which is a big part of recruiting, but this team should do better under B Underwood.