Future QB Talk-Trade or Free Agent

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great Kiper calls this year a "rare year when there is no consensus top QB in the draft" great. Just great.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Great Kiper calls this year a "rare year when there is no consensus top QB in the draft" great. Just great.

That's a big concern for sure. If Pace and his staff feel strongly about one the QB prospects, and believe they have a good feel of their intangibles/talent projecting highly to the NFL, then they should get him. But if they feel that the top 3-4 QBs are all pretty similar, and none of them really separate themselves that greatly, I don't think drafting 1 and taking a shot in the dark at #3 is a wise move. I think the Bears will have their pick between 2 of Mahomes, Kizer, and Watson in the 2nd round. I think Trubisky will be the 1st QB off the board.

laputan

Liked Posts:
Welcome to the thread cemetery. There is no map or directory, but you may wander during daylight hours to look for your loved ones.

dead_thread.jpg

Washington

Liked Posts:

Thing is, if there were a consensus top QB, he'd be picked by Cle or SF or someone jumping to Cle's #1 slot overwhelming them in a trade. We'd be SOL @ #3 anyway.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I don't think there was really a consensus best QB last year either. There was a lot of debate between Wentz and Goff, and a lot of people soured on Goff the deeper he got into the process. Mariota and Winston were also a big tossup. I think this year is different in that, there's really no consensus if any of these guys are franchise material at all. It's a huge tossup this year because all of the prospects have major weaknesses, and don't have elite tape. And I don't believe any of them could step in on day 1 and lead a team right now. They're all going to need some time.

Luke

Liked Posts:
I don't think there was really a consensus best QB last year either. There was a lot of debate between Wentz and Goff, and a lot of people soured on Goff the deeper he got into the process. Mariota and Winston were also a big tossup. I think this year is different in that, there's really no consensus if any of these guys are franchise material at all. It's a huge tossup this year because all of the prospects have major weaknesses, and don't have elite tape. And I don't believe any of them could step in on day 1 and lead a team right now. They're all going to need some time.

These are the 3 boards in order which I pay attention to and cross reference for rank consistency and they all had Wentz ahead of Goff. Notice that they are all top 10ish rank which Dominik prefers when reaching for a QB.

Mayock

Wentz 1
Goff 10

Jeremiah

Wentz 7
Goff 8

Scouts Inc.

Wentz 10
Goff 11

Luke

Liked Posts:
continuing ranks for the 2015 1-2 QB selection.

Mayock

Winston 6
Mariota 5

Jeremiah

Winston 5
Mariota 7

Scouts Inc.

Winston 1
Mariota 4

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Anyone see anything in this Nathan Peterman kid who will be playing for the North side in the senior bowl??

https://t.co/QRtA0h3edF

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Andrew Brandt

5. Trade delusion. Speaking of trade offers for quarterbacks, we are approaching the time of year for hyperbole about what quarterbacks could potentially bring in draft compensation. NFL general managers understand how precious currency first-round draft picks are, especially for their long-term financial value. To think that a team is giving up 1) a first-round pick for Jimmy Garoppolo or 2) two first-round picks for Kirk Cousins (assuming he receives the franchise tag) is, well, delusional. Yes, Sam Bradford netted a first, but that was a move made in the post-injury desperation of training camp, not the quiet premeditation of March. Not happening.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think there was really a consensus best QB last year either. There was a lot of debate between Wentz and Goff, and a lot of people soured on Goff the deeper he got into the process. Mariota and Winston were also a big tossup. I think this year is different in that, there's really no consensus if any of these guys are franchise material at all.

Copying my post from another thread as it applies equally here -

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dr...draft-titans-joey-bosa-chargers-laremy-tunsil

Very first NFL mock I found from January a year ago, and it had Goff at 2 and actual #2 overall pick Carson Wentz being the third QB off the board at #22.

Every year the media "experts" say it's a bad QB class and have them projected as later picks, and every year people just accept their words as gospel, and then the actual NFL GMs who understand the value of the QB position make them look completely stupid.

This year, by comparison, I've already seen mocks with Trubisky, Kizer and Watson in the top 10, and have read talk of all three of them being potential targets for Cleveland with the first overall pick. This is a better class than last year for the top 3.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dr...draft-titans-joey-bosa-chargers-laremy-tunsil

Very first NFL mock I found from January a year ago, and it had Goff at 2 and actual #2 overall pick Carson Wentz being the third QB off the board at #22.

Every year the media "experts" say it's a bad QB class and have them projected as later picks, and every year people just accept their words as gospel, and then the actual NFL GMs who understand the value of the QB position make them look completely stupid.

This year, by comparison, I've already seen mocks with Trubisky, Kizer and Watson in the top 10, and have read talk of all three of them being potential targets for Cleveland with the first overall pick. This is a better class than last year for the top 3.

You'll like this article Mick

https://t.co/EnKFjk6eog

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Kiper said Marino would be a bust

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Question for the AJ Macarron crowd here, if he is all that and a bag of chips shouldn't Hue Jackson and the Browns be all over that? Maybe they will but if not one must wonder if the AJ hype is only that, hype.

Enasic

Liked Posts:

I honestly have no clue....but do you know when the last time a top 10 QB threw 17 INTs in college?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I honestly have no clue....but do you know when the last time a top 10 QB threw 17 INTs in college?

Winston threw 18 INT's

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Winston threw 18 INT's

Interesting. Last season Winston threw for 4,090 yds, 28 TDs, 18 INTs, 85.2 rating, and he completed 61% of his passes. Overall....pretty "meh" when you're talking about "franchise" QBs. Obviously, he's still young and can certainly still improve.....but overall, those aren't very special numbers. But it does lend credence that Watson could be at the very least, a passable starting NFL QB. Interesting.....

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Question for the AJ Macarron crowd here, if he is all that and a bag of chips shouldn't Hue Jackson and the Browns be all over that? Maybe they will but if not one must wonder if the AJ hype is only that, hype.

There is 6 games and a playoff game to evaluate.

If the Bengals thought he was all that would they trade him in the division?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Interesting. Last season Winston threw for 4,090 yds, 28 TDs, 18 INTs, 85.2 rating, and he completed 61% of his passes. Overall....pretty "meh" when you're talking about "franchise" QBs. Obviously, he's still young and can certainly still improve.....but overall, those aren't very special numbers. But it does lend credence that Watson could be at the very least, a passable starting NFL QB. Interesting.....

Those are exciting number for a guy in his 2nd season.

QB development is a progression.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Those are exciting number for a guy in his 2nd season.

QB development is a progression.

True..but to supply some context, those numbers are very similar to Jay's in his 3rd year in Denver. Exciting and encouraging numbers for a 2nd year QB? Sure....but they're still far off from "legit franchise QB." That's not to say that Winston can't get there....but for a guy drafted #1 overall, he certainly needs to do much better.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
True..but to supply some context, those numbers are very similar to Jay's in his 3rd year in Denver. Exciting and encouraging numbers for a 2nd year QB? Sure....but they're still far off from "legit franchise QB." That's not to say that Winston can't get there....but for a guy drafted #1 overall, he certainly needs to do much better.

I think you are seeing improvement and progression.

Cutler was regression from that season on. Never even came close to replicating those numbers.