Future QB Talk-Trade or Free Agent

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think you are seeing improvement and progression.

Cutler was regression from that season on. Never even came close to replicating those numbers.

True....but Winston is in his 2nd season...he still has plenty of time to regress or progress. There have been a TON of players who looked great in their first couple of seasons....who later went on to prove they're not legit franchise players. We can't judge 2nd year players and propel them to be franchise players. Winston still has a lot of work to do. 60% completions, 28 TDs, 18 INTs, and an 85 rating is not franchise numbers. We will see how he progresses. But as of now....no one can say with a straight face, that Winston is a franchise, Superbowl leading QB. There's still time.....but he still has a lot to do.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Andrew Brandt

"5. Trade delusion. Speaking of trade offers for quarterbacks, we are approaching the time of year for hyperbole about what quarterbacks could potentially bring in draft compensation. NFL general managers understand how precious currency first-round draft picks are, especially for their long-term financial value. To think that a team is giving up 1) a first-round pick for Jimmy Garoppolo or 2) two first-round picks for Kirk Cousins (assuming he receives the franchise tag) is, well, delusional. Yes, Sam Bradford netted a first, but that was a move made in the post-injury desperation of training camp, not the quiet premeditation of March. Not happening.
Garraplo also has small 9.25" hands and short arms. A couple nice weather games doesn't tell me what I need to know to even consider this move. It's like people think NE drafted Brissett in 3 for shits and giggles.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Another good poster driven off by this absurd policy of moving threads to sub-forums. Nice job Urblock. As long you're having fun with it though, that's the main thing.

I just found these threads. Wondering why the board was so barren. Considering it's the offseason and the only thing Bears related is to talk Draft and FA this makes little sense and is very annoying to find threads worth reading/contributing to.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Another good poster driven off by this absurd policy of moving threads to sub-forums. Nice job Urblock. As long you're having fun with it though, that's the main thing.

#HisForum

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I like having the draft info in the sub-forum, it keeps some a-holes from derailing conversation, related to mock drafts from Fanspeak or QB drafting strategy. If it's only 5 posters interested, I'm cool with that. Some of those posters would rather bitch about why the Bears traded BMarsh, Bennett, and Forte for the 1000th time.

If we could have a Sticky, like the two QB related topics for the draft, that would be great. Again, my fear would be the conversation getting derailed by people that really don't care for mock drafts, since it is only 1 click away from them. 2 clicks away seems to be a nice barrier from the asshats.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Question: what do you call 4000 yards 28 TDs and 61% comp?

Answer: Jay Cutler's career year!

Jay would kill for 4000 yards, he has only done it once and then never sniffed it again.

Jay would also kill for 28 TDs, again he has only done it one and sniffed it once.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Question: what do you call 4000 yards 28 TDs and 61% comp?

Answer: Jay Cutler's career year!

Right. We'll see how Winston's career unfolds. I think he'll have a better career than Jay. At least he better lol...but for a guy drafted #1 overall, he still has a lot of to prove.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is 6 games and a playoff game to evaluate.

If the Bengals thought he was all that would they trade him in the division?

Good point about in division, I overlooked that and it could be a factor there no doubt. I wish we knew how Hue felt about him but we may not because of this.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Very good article, thanks. This guy gets it.

Well, it is an interesting read, and he makes some good points.

But he doesn't take into account that QB's are taken in the Top 5 when they show the requisite skills to be a good NFL QB. They don't become good NFL QB's BECAUSE they are taken in the Top 5.

He would have you believe the higher you draft a guy, the better he will be.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He makes fun of "draft experts" because Tom Brady was drafted in a year not goof for QB's, yet he offers not one other QB drafted that year. He actually proved the experts right.

If he is so sure a QB is available this year to be the next RG III or Dak, who made the Pro Bowl as rookies, why doesn't he say who he believes that is?

No draft expert will say that not a single QB in his draft will ever make a pro bowl They say the QBs available have too many flaws to be sure things to make it. Big difference.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He doesn't say who it is because that would be silly based on the statistics given. He understands that it's a crap shoot but you can't win if you don't play. I hope he's saying don't pass on the opportunity if your guy is there. The QB position is the most difficult to fill and it's a rare opportunity if you like a guy. The argument that he's acting like a fan but won't supply you with fan based opinion is odd. I think he was clear that there is always doubt as he points to top 5 QBs being a 50/50 proposition and also states that he personally feel this class isn't sub par overall. Could he be wrong about the class? Sure but so could you.

While I agree with his statistical analysis and opinion on this class, he does make it sound like taking anyone at 3 is a good idea whether that's his intent or not. I don't and the stuff about Gannon, Brady and Favre is just silly. They got taken where the should have, just like Rodgers did. This isn't 'Back to the Future'.

I expect to walk away from the 1st 2 rounds with a QB and when you've got prospects like Kaaya and Mahomes available as the projected 4th and 5th ranked (or higher) QBs, it's not a bad class. I personally expect the Bear to take Trubisky if available at 3 or take one of those 2 or Kizer if he drops later. If we don't get our guy with our 1st pick, don't be surprised with a move back into one to get the next QB we want.

I don't think there are many here that feel just taking any QB at 3 is a good move. I certainly don't but if your guy is there, it's a good wager.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
True....but Winston is in his 2nd season...he still has plenty of time to regress or progress. There have been a TON of players who looked great in their first couple of seasons....who later went on to prove they're not legit franchise players. We can't judge 2nd year players and propel them to be franchise players. Winston still has a lot of work to do. 60% completions, 28 TDs, 18 INTs, and an 85 rating is not franchise numbers. We will see how he progresses. But as of now....no one can say with a straight face, that Winston is a franchise, Superbowl leading QB. There's still time.....but he still has a lot to do.

Yeah. I agree with that. Winston really is still an unknown. He can be a top ten QB. He can be somewhere in the 10-20 range. Or he can still bust. It pretty much is up to him and also his health situation.